Gibson Brands Forums

Epiphone Dot Project *Pics*

blues_breaker

Hello all,

It's been a while since I posted here but I have just finished my Epiphone Dot project so I thought I would post again:)

Here's the modifications - 5 ply Gibson style pickguard, Bigsby, black and chrome knobs, cream switch tip, bone nut, Gibson 490 pickup set(had them spare after converting my SG to P90s), CTS 500k pots, orange drop capacitors, Gibson wire, Switchcraft jack and Switchcraft toggle switch. No neck binding yet but when it needs a refret it will be done :D

So what do u think?:)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/61493417@N05/sets/72157626449583036/with/5598035385/

10 posts in 3 years.....Wow......You must have a life !!!!!!

Nice job.....I've recently become addicted to Bigsbys........

I love my Epi P-3 in Wine Red.....Adding both the Goldtop and White in time.....

Once again, nice job.....Thanks for sharing....................

Great job on some very popular upgrades, though I've never heard of someone using Gibson wire before, one thing you never mentioned was coil taps or phase reversals, don't you like those type mods ?

You've got a real classy look with your cosmetic upgrades, when you go to bind the neck, I'd be very interested to see progress pics and reports, again, great job BB.

Thanks for all the comments :)

Whitmore Willy - the dot is really nice to play:) - the upgrades have really made a huge difference to the tone. When it was new I thought the pickups were really muddy, but since the upgrades it's totally changed - there's now a lot more clarity in the notes and the sustain has also improved greatly. :D

Damian - haha I don't post much but I do look through the site quite regularly! Maybe I should start posting more often! :D

RaSTuS - The gibson wire came as part of the electronics upgrade set I bought - it might just have been Gibson-style wire rather than actually Gibson branded -I honestly can't remember [unsure] Yeah I like to keep things simple - I don't see the need for coil taps etc although I know some people like that kinda things :)

It will probably years before I bind the neck but I'll keep you updated with the progress when the time comes [thumbup]

Also when the original pickups were taken out it seemed at the factory they had put a LP bridge pickup in instead of a Epiphone 57. Is there any real difference in sound between the pickups or are they the same thing with a different label? [confused]

More comments welcome!

Very nice job. The only detail which I would change would be swapping the tailpiece studs out for a "Custom Made" sticker. The studs just leave a bit too much metal on the guitar top for my eye. Other than that minor point, a big msp_thumbup.gif.

Hello all,

It's been a while since I posted here but I have just finished my Epiphone Dot project so I thought I would post again:)

Here's the modifications - 5 ply Gibson style pickguard, Bigsby, black and chrome knobs, cream switch tip, bone nut, Gibson 490 pickup set(had them spare after converting my SG to P90s), CTS 500k pots, orange drop capacitors, Gibson wire, Switchcraft jack and Switchcraft toggle switch. No neck binding yet but when it needs a refret it will be done :D

So what do u think?:)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/61493417@N05/sets/72157626449583036/with/5598035385/

Very nice. Two questions, does the Bigsby effect it staying in tune? And where did you get the gibson style pickguard?

Axe looks aswesome :o)

Crow.......if I may; I have found that the Bigsby Trem system is very stable....

Many others will agree as well.....The system also allows light up pulls as well.......

Crow.......if I may; I have found that the Bigsby Trem system is very stable....

Many others will agree as well.....The system also allows light up pulls as well.......

Thanks, I have a Gretsch Tennessee Rose with the Bigsby. Great guitar, but it has a floating bridge, and I find I have to do very light tremelo with it, or it will effect the tuning a bit, especially the low E and A.. Also, it seems to be a reach..lol.. You have to be quick with it..lol

Thanks, I have a Gretsch Tennessee Rose with the Bigsby. Great guitar, but it has a floating bridge, and I find I have to do very light tremelo with it, or it will effect the tuning a bit, especially the low E and A.. Also, it seems to be a reach..lol.. You have to be quick with it..lol

Do you have a roller bridge and low friction nut ?

Do you have a roller bridge and low friction nut ?

no, it's bone stock. A friend of mine was killed n a auto accident, and his daughter gave it to me. I don't know much about it, except its purty nice. I'm not familiar with a roller bridge. I just googled it tho, and I aint got one..lol

no, it's bone stock. A friend of mine was killed n a auto accident, and his daughter gave it to me. I don't know much about it, except its purty nice. I'm not familiar with a roller bridge. I just googled it tho, and I aint got one..lol

It would go a long way to stabilising your tuning issues, cost only $10 - $15.

Condolences on the loss of your friend.

It would go a long way to stabilising your tuning issues, cost only $10 - $15.

Condolences on the loss of your friend.

Thank you for the condolences. It is a huge loss for his family, and I. I love the guitar, but don't know much about Gretch guitars. ANy guitars for that matter. I just play them..lol

Where would I fond a roller bridge thingy for that cheap?

I don't know about the $10 deal but Stew Mac has all the parts you would ever need for things like that. I bought a gold and stainless roller bridge for one of my guitars when I installed a Bigsby and it worked great.

Big Ron

Thanks for all the positive comments :D

Vomer - I've seen a lot of 335s with that 'custom made' stickers, I just prefer the look of the metal studs. :)

DoubleWide Revival - I definitely agree about the upgrades - they make a big difference. I would make a recording so you could hear it but unfortunately I do not have a microphone to record my amp :(

Anthony_J - I didn't actually notice Gibsons had black screws for the pickup rings [unsure] I will buy some soon. :D

Crow - I agree with Damian the Bigsby does not affect the guitar staying in tune, even with a lot of use. That being said I rarely use mine and really just bought it for cosmetic purposes :D

The pickguard is homemade :D

Again more comments are welcome :)

Thanks for all the positive comments :D

Crow - I agree with Damian the Bigsby does not affect the guitar staying in tune, even with a lot of use. That being said I rarely use mine and really just bought it for cosmetic purposes :D

The pickguard is homemade :D

How the heck did you make it? I bought one online and its nice, but I shoulda got a 5 ply white. Instead I got what he had in Cream, a 3ply. It doesn't stand out very much. I like yours very much. Please send me one.. thanks :o)

Where would I fond a roller bridge thingy for that cheap?

I get mine on eBay, usually just search for "(chrome/black/gold) roller bridge", the most important thing is the post hole spacing, all the ones I've bought also come with their own posts and inserts, so post hole diameter is less important (bigger the better IMHO). You can spend 4 - 6 times the price for a Tone Pros or StewMac etc, but the cost doesn't cover the minimal increase in quality IMHO.

post hole spacing

I am not familiar with that phrase. I am a novice..lol.. This is a floating bridge, not pinned down to the guitar. Do you mean the actual spacing between the rollers? Please feel free to enlighten me. THanks..

Archived