Gibson Brands Forums

online music piracy...

S t e v e

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He wrote pop stuff that most people can recognize if they have ever heard Nirvana before, but most famous riffs? Naaaaaahhhhh

Obviously if you've never heard Nirvana their riffs wouldn't be that famous, but the same could be said about any band. If you've never heard Led Zeppelin, Stairway to Heaven or Whole Lotta Love probably wouldn't be very recognizable either. Doesn't make them any less famous. It's really hard to argue that Smells Like Teen Spirit isn't towards the top of a list of most famous riffs, even if it wasn't one of their best songs. I'm 28, and I've never met someone around my age that couldn't immediately identify it. Hell I know many people that range from early teens to mid 50's that could identify that song within the first few seconds.

Eric Clapton, Tony Iommi, Richie Blackmore, and Jimmy Page wrote the most famous riffs in rock history, NOT Kurt Kobain. "Teen Spirit" is a famous song, but it is not an "Iron Man" or "Smoke on the Water".

This thread is kind of like those Juvenile "slash vs buckethead" types where people can use the forum to bash and berate someone elses favorites just because for some reason they are not a fan.

But, since you said Kurt had no real impact on writing a famous rock riff here's what the writers of Rolling Stone magazine said about Nirvana.

"Few bands in rock history have had a more immediate and tangible impact on their contemporary pop musical landscape than Nirvana did in the early Nineties. When the Seattle trio hit the scene in 1991, mainstream radio was awash in the hair metal of Poison and Def Leppard. But seemingly within hours of the release of Nirvana's anarchic, angry single "Smells Like Teen Spirit" — and its twisted anti-pep-rally video—the rules had changed. Artifice was devalued; pure, raw emotion was king."

I guess you could also discredit their over 50 million record sales or the numerous mtv, grammy, brit and other awards but hey what does Rolling Stone know they've only been covering rock for the past 40 years.

Easy man, get the sand out of your vag :) Did you not see where I said I liked Nirvana, I just think you are overestimating his place as one of the greatest riff writers in history. P.S. If this is such a childish thread why are you posting in it??

Hey, man, did you not see where I said I liked Nirvana, I just think you are overestimating his place as one of the greatest riff writers in history. P.S. If this is such a childish thread why are you posting in it??

Nirvana completely changed the face of rock music almost overnite and smells like teen spirit became the rock anthem for my generation, btw the editors of Rolling Stone made a 100 greatest guitarist list and Kurt Cobain was voted number 12.

Eddie Van Halen by comparison was number 70, how does that grab ya? As for why i am posting i happen to be a fan of both Grohl and Kurt so i figured id chime in my opinion for what it's worth.

My thoughts are certainly not the be all end all but i like to think i give an objective honest opinion when i write. You may not see Kurt's guitar riffs as impressive however Guitar World put Smells like teen spirit as the 26th greatest solo of all time.

You are entitled to your opinion however Guitar world and Rolling Stone both consider Kurt one of the greatest guitar players of all time and id like to think their opinion carries abit of substance to it.

Kurt Cobain?? Greatest guitar players of all time?? .......ha! ha! ha! ha!........

Man, I'm not trying to hurt your feelings and I understand you are entitled to your own opinion, but that's crazy! Songwriter, yes. Lyricist, yes. Visionary, maybe. Great guitar player, not even close.

Nirvana completely changed the face of rock music almost overnite and smells like teen spirit became the rock anthem for my generation, btw the editors of Rolling Stone made a 100 greatest guitarist list and Kurt Cobain was voted number 12.

There was a typo in that list....It was 100 most popular guitarists, not greatest. A very common mispelling. [flapper]

Not knocking what Cobain did, I actually still like In Utero but can't stand to hear anything of Bleach or Nevemind or Incesticide for that matter.

Besides, RS is not THE end all source of all things music. If you take their word for it, then that's your loss. It's a big world and there are hundreds of music acts RS would probably never touch.

It's called sarcasm. <_< You're newer and not familiar with my sense of humor like most people here so I'll let it slide.

Im familiar with sarcasm, i practically invented it. The irony was i thought i was misspelling it and came to realize i was not lol.

There was a typo in that list....It was 100 most popular guitarists, not greatest. A very common mispelling. [flapper]

Not knocking what Cobain did, I actually still like In Utero but can't stand to hear anything of Bleach or Nevemind or Incesticide for that matter.

Besides, RS is not THE end all source of all things music. If you take their word for it, then that's your loss. It's a big world and there are hundreds of music acts RS would probably never touch.

That's fine because i cannot stand to hear anything from metallica and consider them the biggest sellouts in rock history. Didnt they sue their fans along with Napster? Got to love ingrates who take away a middle class families home for downloading a song on the internet.

That's fine because i cannot stand to hear anything from metallica and consider them the biggest sellouts in rock history. Didnt they sue their fans along with Napster? Got to love ingrates who take away a middle class families home for downloading a song on the internet.

Who? Where did that come from?

Where did Metallica even come into mention? I think its that time of the month for someone...

Yes Metallica sued Napster for ILLEGALLY pirating there music, yeah it was a pen15 thing of them to do but if that is what you base your opinion of them by well you sir are no different than them. I can tell you without a doubt 100% that you would take legal action if you were losing millions of dollars a year from record sales because everyone is downloading your albums instead of purchasing them, not to bright on the whole music industry I would say. Dont want your house repo'd dont ILLEGALLY download music, sheesh its pretty simple.

Archived