Gibson Brands Forums

online music piracy...

S t e v e

Cobain was part of a group that changed music for a fairly specific age group, sadly he killed himself before his impact touched much of the world, ask anyone thats more than a few years outside of that specific time period and they'll say Who?

I liked Cobain especially some of his acoustic and unplugged album but giving him god status is kind of strange I saw a recent survey in one of the music magazines and something like 85% of the people questioned couldn't name Cobain's band or a single song. He was most remembered for Courtney and killing himself. Only something like 10% of the same group didn't know the Foo Fighters and worse when asked about that time in music almost everybody named the Red Hot Chili Peppers which must have really frosted Cobain's butt, wherever he is, after all the crap he said about them.

The interview ended with a really surprising question what group and album best portrayed the grunge movement in music? I would have said Nevermind and Smells Like Teen Spirit, or maybe even the Chili Peppers eraly stuff but the answer Eddie Vedder and Pearl Jam.

Even if thats all just one story and not fact which could be true especially since there's now stats in the world to prove anything the real truth is unless you were a Teenager in the early nineties or live in Seattle grunge was short lived and gone in just a few years and honestly not much of a wave to most of us. I just wish rap would have died off even half a quickly...

That is the way I remember it. When Nirvana hit the scene, they got a LOT of radio play, and it was termed "alternative" before they called it grunge. It was actually the radio play Nirvana was getting that opened the door for bands like Pearl Jam to get notice and radio play.

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Are you fuxking retarded? His first demotape he recorded was done without his name so people wouldn't know it was "the drummer from nirvana". He made his name through great music, not Cobain.

Don't be a ****

[lol] funny I knew him even before that when he played with scream (DC)... I doubt he remembers me... But scream and us played on the same bill about 5 times...

Dave was actually on Howard Stern about 2 weeks ago, and it was one of the better interviews Howard has done since re-signing with Sirius. Dave Grohl is a very talented musician and seems like an all around great guy. I'm sure he did ride the coattails of Kurt and Nirvana when Foo Fighters first came out, but I think most of the younger generation doesn't even associate him with Nirvana. Some might not even know he was in Nirvana.

A men. Permed hair and spandex needed to be destroyed, I thank Nirvana for this msp_thumbup.gif

Matt

Hey watch it now! [scared] I resembled that remark. Agreed there was some lame Sh*t that came out of the hair metal era especially towards the end but at least it was a fun era in music. Sex, Dr*&gs and Rock N Roll! and the girls wore those tight spandex pants and mini and I do mean mini skirts! Ahhh fun fun times. I liked the Seattle Grunge stuff, Alice in Chains, Sound Garden, etc... Not so fun and upbeat though....

My 2 C's

Hey watch it now! [scared] I resembled that remark. Agreed there was some lame Sh*t that came out of the hair metal era especially towards the end but at least it was a fun era in music. Sex, Dr*&gs and Rock N Roll! and the girls wore those tight spandex pants and mini and I do mean mini skirts! Ahhh fun fun times. I liked the Seattle Grunge stuff, Alice in Chains, Sound Garden, etc... Not so fun and upbeat though....

My 2 C's

The skirts were greats, and also helped to tell which was which.

Now, the skirts are longer because they got wider, and the hair has fallen out. We wear flannel because it is comfortable and hides our guts, and our women wear them so they don't have to wear spandex.

Gee, maybe Nirvana DID save us from something.

but I think most of the younger generation doesn't even associate him with Nirvana. Some might not even know he was in Nirvana.

I feel the same. A lot of the kids I have taught over the years, find out about Nirvana as almost an 'after thought' , i.e after they have gotten into Foo Fighters they gradually find out about a band called Nirvana.

"Permed hair and spandex"? You mean, like Gary Moore in Thin Lizzy?

LOL - yes, definitely msp_flapper.gif

One of my favourite guitarists is from my least favourite decades - Randy Rhoads - so the 80's wasn't all bad, but I just could never (and can't) take Motley Crue, Whitesnake, Poison, Def Lepard etc etc at all seriously. Great fun, but when those kind of bands tried to be all serious, it made me raise an aye brow msp_biggrin.gif

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BeFH8oHSStc

I feel the same. A lot of the kids I have taught over the years, find out about Nirvana as almost an 'after thought' , i.e after they have gotten into Foo Fighters they gradually find out about a band called Nirvana.

LOL - yes, definitely msp_flapper.gif

One of my favourite guitarists is from my least favourite decades - Randy Rhoads - so the 80's wasn't all bad, but I just could never (and can't) take Motley Crue, Whitesnake, Poison, Def Lepard etc etc at all seriously. Great fun, but when those kind of bands tried to be all serious, it made me raise an aye brow msp_biggrin.gif

Mathew,

Give Def Leppard - High and Dry a try. They rocked a lot harder with Pete Willis on Guitar! Motely Crue - Shout at the Devil album wasn't bad.... No redemption for poison though....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KCjyoWda5Qo

Hi Andy

Thanks, but I know all that kind of stuff because I collected it all when it came out when I was a kid! I collected music from the age of five, so was the grand old age of about 11 when all the commercial rock stuff came out.

I just got off the train and thought 'Matt that was unfair, when you get to work edit it. No one will have quoted you!'

Oh well I'll take what's coming lol

Matt

Matt;

Music, any music, can not be taken to seriously. It isn't ever a matter of life and death. Even as a job, it isn't something like a surgery or what a solder has does, and neither is even the biggest band and tour something that effects economies. Even the most serious messages are only opinions.

It can become an insult when a performer or an artist does not take an audience seriously, and it can become a joke when an audience takes a performer too seriously, or a performer takes himself too seriously.

A musician takes his job seriously by doing the work required to entertain the audience. Beyond the work behind it, it is all entertainment.

Hi Andy

Thanks, but I know all that kind of stuff because I collected it all when it came out when I was a kid! I collected music from the age of five, so was the grand old age of about 11 when all the commercial rock stuff came out.

I just got off the train and thought 'Matt that was unfair, when you get to work edit it. No one will have quoted you!'

Oh well I'll take what's coming lol

Matt

Matt Not Givin' ya a hard time just sending you ( and me) down Memory lane a bit... [biggrin] I was 14 when I saw the Shout at the Devil Tour.... Again I say Goooooood Times!

Like I say Andy I deserve everything! I had a moment of madness in early morning typing that unleashed the fury lol.

it's all just having fun and opinions. I love jalapeños but my wife thinks they are too strong...who is wrong? neither of us!

I think my karma should be for a mass exodus of pupils to bring in superstrats and 80's tab books all day from now until 8 pm lol! I have angered the gods of rock! :)

Lol

I really have to go! I may be fired for being on a guitar forum instead of doing my music duties...then it will be very serious! Lol

Just one last thing. My friend is a surgeon and music lover. All his kids learn an instrument and his wife plays piano too. We discuss science, theology and music a lot and In his own words, he says music is as important as surgery because it gives people hope and makes them happy and enjoy life.

Peace out

Matt

This was a interesting post lots of different opinions all with some supporting thought and reasons Gotta see the facts in most views - The only thing I have trouble here is with people always saying Dave sold out after Nirvana? well if so good for him Kurt shot himself because he couldn't hang with the world and fame ok his choice but why the hell should anyone else have to stop performing because Cobain killed himself. Grohl dusted off some of his own stuff and built a solid and highly successful band which is what he should do in this case. Cobain took himself out of the game in the ultimate weak move why should others follow him down I respect the hell out of Grohl for starting over and not just sitting around doing a lame and sad little Nirvana2 tribute act.

This was a interesting post lots of different opinions all with some supporting thought and reasons Gotta see the facts in most views - The only thing I have trouble here is with people always saying Dave sold out after Nirvana? well if so good for him Kurt shot himself because he couldn't hang with the world and fame ok his choice but why the hell should anyone else have to stop performing because Cobain killed himself. Grohl dusted off some of his own stuff and built a solid and highly successful band which is what he should do in this case. Cobain took himself out of the game in the ultimate weak move why should others follow him down I respect the hell out of Grohl for starting over and not just sitting around doing a lame and sad little Nirvana2 tribute act.

[thumbup] Well put retro! Layne Staley ( and Matt Starr) for that matter pretty much committed suicide. While I will always miss layne I have to say that Jerry did an awesome job on the new album and I wouldn't call him a sell out.... Brian's done a pretty good job for Bon.... Jason did a good job for Cliff... Sammy....Uh well..... anyway [biggrin]

It's too bad some of my favorite artists were hopelessly addicted to smack, the only thing that crap is good for is destroying lives.

I've never thought of Dave as riding the coattails of Nirvana's success. He didn't copy what he did with Nirvana, and I think he would have found success in Alt Rock without Nirvana. He could have thrown a lot of weight around with his past membership of the band but he wouldn't even talk about Kurt to the media for years after his death.

I agree 100% and in some ways you could say Foo Fighters music is more varied and less rigid than Nirvana's was. Im a huge fan of both but i believe Grohl (much like yourself) he would be more of a sellout if he tried to copy nirvana than just making his own stuff which is exactly what he's doing now.

Still tho, some of the comments here about Nirvana being a lousy band are funny, Kurt created some of the most memorable riffs in rock history and changed the face of music for a decade. While everyone is entitled to their opinion i dont share their beliefs on Kurt.

Cobain's music has influenced a generation of bands and even artists like Tori Amos, Fefe Dobson and a few others that might surprise you.

The Nirvana episode of unplugged will always be the greatest one of all time, kurt sang with such passion and the band was spot on, Kurt originally declined but finally was talked into it and made rock history.

Shortly after doing it he was dead.

Archived