Gibson Brands Forums

Barry Manilow

LarryUK

I never did like Barry Mantlenose and his maudlin mamby pamby songs-that's just how I picture Justa Beaver being in 60 years -that if his career lasts which I doubt very much.

I STILL cry when I hear "Mandy" on the radio.......or maybe it's the onions I'm chopping up.....

Justin Beiber is slated to portray him in the movie about his NYC street walking days.....[flapper] ..

I never did like Barry Mantlenose and his maudlin mamby pamby songs-

Yeah, but back in the day, if you could sing a Manilow song, you could get ... kissed. :rolleyes:

that's just how I picture Justa Beaver being in 60 years -that if his career lasts which I doubt very much.

[lol] [lol]

Never was a Barry Manilow fan but I respect his talent, hard work and professionalism

He has self deprecating humour and is a good musician...piano etc

His work with Bette Midler is worth mentioning

Between them they made a great show to tickle one's fancy

Bette Midler is one of the few singers I can watch for a full show without getting restless

True passion and 'full on' performance with a great voice running the gamut of emotions

In a word

Bette and Barry rule....

V

:-({|=

Gotta give him credit, he has a homeless shelter in his nose you know.

You gotta be snotty to get in there though.........and once yer in, they pick at and on you all the time......

He makes you study " Nostril Damus ", there's Saturday Night FLICKS,

Residents are afraid of the BOOGER MAN there, scary sh*t.......

It's also STUFFY in there........

In case of fire, there's only two exits.....And no SHOTGUNS allowed, go figure....

All new residents are subject to a CAVITY search.......

The place is OOZING with, well,

Many residents get the RUNS living there.....

He makes them sing " Loogie loogie, oh, baby, said a week ago..."

Every Sunday, he tells them, " MUCUS, I'M YOUR FATHER "..........

Not only that, he makes them work in his OFACTORY......

And he shows off his SNOTZU doggie....

So not cool.....

And he oogles at the chick's HONKERS.....

No one really NOSE what happens in there......

Even when it SNOWS............[crying][flapper] :unsure: [sneaky] ......

It is rumored that he's had more than two and a half men.........[scared] ....

And no, he's not fairy, he's Barry....Barry MAN da LOW.........[blink] ............

I've never thought Barry was a good singer, but I did like a lot of his songs (especially Could This Be Magic).

Why doesn't he quit? Why doesn't Tony Bennett quit? Why didn't Sinatra quit? Why didn't Pablo Casals quit? Why didn't Chet Atkins quit? Why didn't Stan Getz quit?

Same answer for all.

Being a musician is not what you do, it's what you are.

I am approaching senior citizen status (all too quickly) and as long as I have enough breath to fog a mirror, I will be playing music and hopefully in front of an appreciative audience. If I came into an unexpected fortune tomorrow, I'd still play music (I'd definitely hire someone to move the PA set though). Some people like to play golf, others like to fish, others like to read, others like to watch TV, others like to garden ... I like to play music.

I think it's sad that the voice usually gives up before instrumental bodily needs do (although I suppose severe arthritis could stop guitar playing before someone loses his/her voice). And I think it's sad that once great singers still sing when they are well past their prime. But I understand why they do it. After all, how can one quit doing what he/she truly loves to do?

Notes ♫

Sinatra's voice even in his 50s was far different from in his 20s, but the phrasing was still exceptional. I'm told that near the end he'd forget words all over the place, etc., but... the phrasing remained.

Ditto Ella.

I agree with Bob Norton, though. Being a musician isn't what you do, it's what you are. Even if you've mostly been a weekend warrior as I've been.

My own voice has changed enough to the point that I made a severe error a year ago doing a piece in public that I'd done mostly in the 1960s and '70s - off the top of my head in the same key and... it just didn't work any more.

Canadian folk/country/cowboy singer Ian Tyson's voice was one I envied for ages until it went all to ... whatever ... recently. But the songwriting and phrasing and guitar pickin' remain.

In ways I think it's more crowd interaction in ways, and knowing you may still have something to say musically that keeps you there.

Johnny Cash's voice was shot near the end, but perhaps a few of his pieces were all the more powerful because of it.

EDIT: After I closed this, I got to thinking... I've a hunch many of our younger members will find out what Bob's talking about in another 40 years and at some point, with a thread like this, they'll realize, "hey, I'm not a kid any more and yet..."

m

So you discovered Willie Dixon, Howlin Wolf and Albert King then.cool.gif

Still working on that!!

:-)

Took me 5 years before that to completely comb through the Queen catalog.

I'm slow, give me time :-)

There's a whole slew of music I was never exposed to when I was younger.

Thank coolness for technology and things like YouTube so I can actually FIND many of these recordings and catch up on what I missed - and figure out what I want to buy.

LOL

Still working on that!!

:-)

Took me 5 years before that to completely comb through the Queen catalog.

I'm slow, give me time :-)

There's a whole slew of music I was never exposed to when I was younger.

Thank coolness for technology and things like YouTube so I can actually FIND many of these recordings and catch up on what I missed - and figure out what I want to buy.

LOL

Much of what Zep "borrowed" was from these blues greats it's a lineage that you've already discovered but don't know it yet.

Barry has wrote some songs but performance wise no thanks he's also living proof that woman aren't that picky when it comes to men just think of all the women in love with him and then look at him has to give you hope.

I was in high school in 78 and Manilow was on the radio about every 15 minutes with "Mandy" made me truly hate him pretty much for my whole life still change the radio when he comes on.

Barry has wrote some songs but performance wise no thanks he's also living proof that woman aren't that picky when it comes to men just think of all the women in love with him and then look at him has to give you hope.

I was in high school in 78 and Manilow was on the radio about every 15 minutes with "Mandy" made me truly hate him pretty much for my whole life still change the radio when he comes on.

I know it's been a while since we were both in high school but Mandy was a hit in 74 I believe.

Much of what Zep "borrowed" was from these blues greats it's a lineage that you've already discovered but don't know it yet.

Don't forget Memphis Minnie - they even credited her.

I know it's been a while since we were both in high school but Mandy was a hit in 74 I believe.

But she came and she kept on giving (without taking?)...

Oh dear!

Well...

I was hand-fed a steady diet of Barry Manilow growing up.

That and Dan Fogelberg and Kingston Trio and... eh. [unsure] I'll stop there!

I've recovered, thank you.

Figured out Led Zeppelin last year.

Yes, last year.

I'm a late bloomer

[crying][flapper][thumbup]

But! At least I bloom eh?!

So you are familiar with the VSM then?

Wrote some of our greatest commercial jingles and whether you like his style or not, he's pretty talented.

Yep, McDonalds, Kentucky Fried Chicken, Band-Aid, State Farm, Stridex, and lets not forget American Bandstand.

Archived