Gibson Brands Forums

Guitar Effects

ne14t?

So pedals and stuff are considered electronic items, and most electronics seem to depreciate in value about 50% when you walk out of the store. Do pedals fall under this category to you? Some pedals such as custom or vintage ones are obviously not going to depreciate and will actually probably appreciate in value, but just the run of the mill pedal that they make a billion of them a year. I thought they would depreciate in cost substantially used in comparison to new but I appear to be wrong. I browse craigslist hoping some kid got sick of trying to learn or some starving musician needs to pay ren, sometimes I have seen amazing deals and other times it just a waste of my time, but I have noticed that people selling used pedals seems to be usually within $10 of buying it new, and to be honest I rather just spend the $10 and buy a new one as I think most people would agree the extra $10 is better then something someone has had there grubby little paws on. I know its kinda a rant but I am curious, because I have some old BOSS crap I wanna unload in exchange for MXR and if there is no depreciation I am so gunna gouge like everyone else.

Depending on the pedal (and condition, etc) it should definately depreciate.

There are a lot of stupid people on craigslist who think their crap is worth a lot of money. That stuff probably doesn't sell for that price if at all.

I've bought most of my pedals used and I got some pretty fat deals on some of them. I've sold a few too and I try to be as fair as I can. It really depends on the pedal though your average Boss or MXR pedal should drop in value pretty steep..

What exactly are you looking to sell?

Also, you might want to check out the pedal emporium over at thegearpage.net Its 10 times better than selling your stuff to a store and there are many more people looking for pedals than on craigslist.

Depending on the pedal (and condition, etc) it should definately depreciate.

There are a lot of stupid people on craigslist who think their crap is worth a lot of money. That stuff probably doesn't sell for that price if at all.

I've bought most of my pedals used and I got some pretty fat deals on some of them. I've sold a few too and I try to be as fair as I can. It really depends on the pedal though your average Boss or MXR pedal should drop in value pretty steep..

What exactly are you looking to sell?

Also, you might want to check out the pedal emporium over at thegearpage.net Its 10 times better than selling your stuff to a store and there are many more people looking for pedals than on craigslist.

Thanks for the info, I felt the same way in regards to it, all electronics I ever sold have been so dirt cheap, heck I gave my B.I.L my two year old computer because I could probably only get $100 for it.

-Mega Distortion

-Digi Delay (DD3 the cheaper one)

-Super Chorus

-Overdrive

I am not so concerned about making my money back as I really dont have to upgrade to the MXR they just appeal more to me, a friend of mine back home is a budding musician and I am constanly "mentoring and coaching" him along the way so it could make a cool gift or something since he just picked up his first electric guitar last week. I like helping other musicians out I was just curious to see if these craigslisters were out to lunch or not.

Pedal prices can definitely be all over the place. Besides the fact mentioned above where you have some poeple that think what they have is worth what they paid new, there is a couple reasons why pedal prices can get confusing.

For one, there are definitely pedal collectors and freaks out there that trade pedals. If you have Japanese made BOSS pedals, for example, they are worth something, and more than the new ones. The same goes for certain periods of MXR and EH pedals. They generally aren't real high in value, but it can be enough that when someone decides to price a "new" pedal they have, they see these listed and think they are the same pedal.

Then, you got "botique" pedals. These are usually hand made or made in smaller runs. They usually run about 200-300 bucks or so. Some are quite better than the run of the mill pedals they copy, but then you get some "botique" lines that are made to copy THOSE and are priced the same. In other words, mass market pedals that are overpriced. Makes it more confusing wondering how much your average pedal should cost and what the differences are.

Then there is some like the Tube Screamer and such that are the same pedals as the cheap ones but are priced way high even new because they are marketed as different. They sell because it is still not too much money for those that don't care to really get into it, but it does have an effect on what the other "clones" sell for.

So basically it works like this: unless there is a good reason why a used pedal is worth a lot, it isn't. Regardless of what it sells new. It should be about half of what it is new, maybe a little more for a hand made one, and less for an expensive manufactured one.

They'll hold their value much better than a computer because computers become outdated so quickly.

Digital cameras, are notorious, too...of being practically worthless (resale wise), once purchased,

after a short time, for the same reason. The producers feed their ever inceasing greed, by planned

obsolecence, feeding our "Throw away society," and all that! ;>b

At least, with effects pedals, their basic operation and effect doesn't change, aside from the tweaks,

on the "latest & greatest" new models, etc. Even I've fallen victim, to that, in at least one

instance. I hope, "never again!"

CB

Pedal prices can definitely be all over the place. Besides the fact mentioned above where you have some poeple that think what they have is worth what they paid new, there is a couple reasons why pedal prices can get confusing.

For one, there are definitely pedal collectors and freaks out there that trade pedals. If you have Japanese made BOSS pedals, for example, they are worth something, and more than the new ones. The same goes for certain periods of MXR and EH pedals. They generally aren't real high in value, but it can be enough that when someone decides to price a "new" pedal they have, they see these listed and think they are the same pedal.

Then, you got "botique" pedals. These are usually hand made or made in smaller runs. They usually run about 200-300 bucks or so. Some are quite better than the run of the mill pedals they copy, but then you get some "botique" lines that are made to copy THOSE and are priced the same. In other words, mass market pedals that are overpriced. Makes it more confusing wondering how much your average pedal should cost and what the differences are.

Then there is some like the Tube Screamer and such that are the same pedals as the cheap ones but are priced way high even new because they are marketed as different. They sell because it is still not too much money for those that don't care to really get into it, but it does have an effect on what the other "clones" sell for.

So basically it works like this: unless there is a good reason why a used pedal is worth a lot, it isn't. Regardless of what it sells new. It should be about half of what it is new, maybe a little more for a hand made one, and less for an expensive manufactured one.

Excellent Info, not sure if they are Japanese made BOSS pedals, doubtful but I should check, but my old neighbour gave me the super chorus when he upgraded at no cost (was missing a knob) so it cant be special. And I knew it would be such with some vintage or boutique pedals, I have had my eye on the MXR script Phase 90 scared to see what the price is though!

Digital effects have really come a long way but they seem to move pretty slow so I wouldn't worry about your digital effects becoming outdated soon unless it's not very good to begin with.

I have an old digitech rack multifx unit and it sounds so horrible... It's total garbage and I don't even know why it's taking up space in my room. Then I have a couple Strymon pedals (which are digital) and I'm pretty sure they came directly from heaven.

There are still some really lame multifx units and digital pedals but something like a DD-3 isn't going to be obsolete because there's a DD-7 now. I think the modeling stuff will definately become outdated quickly especially since they generally suck.

Digital effects have really come a long way but they seem to move pretty slow so I wouldn't worry about your digital effects becoming outdated soon unless it's not very good to begin with.

I have an old digitech rack multifx unit and it sounds so horrible... It's total garbage and I don't even know why it's taking up space in my room. Then I have a couple Strymon pedals (which are digital) and I'm pretty sure they came directly from heaven.

There are still some really lame multifx units and digital pedals but something like a DD-3 isn't going to be obsolete because there's a DD-7 now. I think the modeling stuff will definately become outdated quickly especially since they generally suck.

Yeah I wasnt too concerned about they being outdated they all have worked wonders for me I will say that, but they have been around since my mexi-strat days so I had the hankering for a change. I will agree with the modeling stuff, I have a Fender Mustang III for a practice amp and its a little modeler, it does a wicked job of mimicking different amps, but the built in effects truely lack personality and expression. I must confess I have wanted to check out the Line 6 POD for its amp modeling but cant justify spending the $400 on something I might not even like. The amp was the first modeling thing I ever got cause I needed a new practice amp and well it was pretty cheap and its LOUD as for the whole modeling thing it was cool for the first week or so and then the effects part died off, I am still enjoying the amp modeling though for the price and the fact it can sound like 6 or 8 different amps is cool, would I suggest it as a buying feature to people, probably not.

Well that's what I paid for it and it was in MINT condish and it was one of 20 made in a limited edition finish so I think that it was fair.

I've given some sweet deals too. I sold my SMMH for $115 and paid $15 for the shipping and they usually go for over $200 + shipping on eBay. And I really loved that thing too.

Keep the boxes they come in, take care of them, and they depreciate very little.

At least that's been my experience. I get great trade in value for them at that loathesome guitar store everyone hates so much.

Keep the boxes they come in, take care of them, and they depreciate very little.

At least that's been my experience. I get great trade in value for them at that loathesome guitar store everyone hates so much.

I am assuming that you mean Guitar Center? I am a canuck so we dont have GC's up here but I am guessing they are a bunch of idiots? And does it count if they are the wrong boxes? My neighbor gave me that super chorus in a BOSS NS-2 box when he handed it to me I was like !!!!! free noise gate for me, he got a laugh out of it.

I am assuming that you mean Guitar Center? I am a canuck so we dont have GC's up here but I am guessing they are a bunch of idiots? And does it count if they are the wrong boxes? My neighbor gave me that super chorus in a BOSS NS-2 box when he handed it to me I was like !!!!! free noise gate for me, he got a laugh out of it.

See? Effects are best shared, I think.

You can't put a price on that.

See? Effects are best shared, I think.

You can't put a price on that.

Yeah thats why if I get rid of them I think I might pass them onto my friend back home, saves him from having to go out and buy them and keeps the circle of sharing going. Thats why I like browsing CL I snagged my half stack off a starving musician that needed to pay rent the guy was asking $700 and I thought it was a joke at first until I actually called the guy and he was late on rent and was on a strict diet of hot dogs and kraft dinner. I told him if he helped load it in my truck I would give him $800 the guy more then happily agreed and I walked home with a 1960A and a TSL100.

Typically, no, as you are wanting to give the impression that these effects have been very well cared for and can be resold for top dollar. Showing up with a mismatched box/effect combo does not imply this.

The supply and demand also apply here.

Pedals like the Boss SD-1 and DS-1 are extremely popular for instance, there are too many of them so it is hard to sell them well even in new condition.

I posted my Boss SD-1 in like new condition on craigslist, I asked if anybody would trade it for a Crybaby Wah which is another extremley common pedal that gets sold as soon as the novelty wears off. I got an email the same night and traded it.

I paid $45 for the SD-1 and traded it for a $70 Crybaby, not too bad. I am going tap into my electronic parts box and have fun doing some mods to the Wah.

Custom built and hard to get pedals are usually going to hold the value pretty well or even increase in value. The more common Boss pedals and similar are usually really cheap used. The problem is made worse by the sales that pedals like Boss are being sold at especially at GC and similar stores. If you ever go to a big guitar show especially in big markets like LA,Chicago even Phoenix and the tables full of Boss and similar pedals are everywhere. I was at a show last year and there were several used dealers selling Boss and Digitech pedals in the 10-15 dollar range for almost everything they make. I don't really know what they were since I still have all the boss pedals I want from years back the only one I bought was the Digitech - Eric Clapton model that had acoustic guitar etc modeling I paid 18 dollars for it unopened still in it's shrink wrap.

it's rare that high number production models do well.

With the exception of "Hey, we're making this Awesome effect that every one loves.

Let change it!"

Eg. the TS808, Or A Fairly original Rat.

they made lots, Suckified them with circuit changes, so the originals skyrocket in price.

I looked just out of curiosity, try to touch an original non mod rat for less than 200 bucks these days.

Resale value can be FUZZY......Some pedals do DECAY in value, some don't....Example, old Big Muffs don't die, they may get a bit fuzzier...[crying] ..

If you find a good pedal used, don't DELAY, get it !!!!! The CHORUS has spoken..........:unsure: [sneaky] ....

Resale value can be FUZZY......Some pedals do DECAY in value, some don't....Example, old Big Muffs don't die, they may get a bit fuzzier...[crying] ..

If you find a good pedal used, don't DELAY, get it !!!!! The CHORUS has spoken..........:unsure: [sneaky] ....

Hahaha nice one!

Well I got my HST tax credit yesterday so I went in last night with the intention of grabbing a MXR fullbore metal from L&M, so I walk over to there huge cabinet of pedals and there I saw it, I could hear the angels sing as my eyes gazed apon it...ok enough story telling. The little price sticker said $115 so I stood there and scratched my chin pondering. Then out of the corner of my eye I just so happened to see "IT" sitting in a ratty looking box ontop of the cabinet sitting beside it's little brother, cousin or counterpart. I had previously mentioned I wanted to check this stuff out for giggles as I had heard some pretty cool stuff about them aswell. Its a discontinued model that was used and I am guessing traded in for something newer, but the price oh my the price was unbeatable. The Little brother (Line 6 POD X3) had a price tag on it of $439 I got its retarded big brother (Line 6 POD XT Live) for only $199 because its a disco model and was used, could care less that it was used all it needed was a dusting, and well they dont make it anymore but Line 6 still updates the firmware since its apart of the POD family so meh its rare!

1000000221.jpg

I think I spent about an hour in the store jamming on it thru a little Fender Blues Junior III, I only got through about 3/4 of just the presets in that time and didnt even get a chance to start making custom ones. I was quite surprised at the sounds so far its been pretty sweet, I of course will need to play with it for about a week to make my final choice but so far I approve. I got a chance to talk to a real performing musician while I was there (If anything I am just a studio musician) and we got talking about these pedals because he was telling me he uses the BOSS GT-10 and I started asking his opinion of it and he said it was an amazing piece, he praised it quite a bit. Then he asked me what style of music I played most and I was telling him its mostly metal, thrash, punk and rock and he almost instantly said that the Line 6 was going to be over the top for what I needed, and that the BOSS was more of a clean tone bluesy rig. I thanked the guy for in insight and then ended up jamming on the Line 6 and bringing it home (once again the price!!) I have three months in which I can return it if I am not satisfied so it gives me some time to really muck around with it.

net 14, that looks like a nice multi pedal..........I use a GT-10 and a GT-08; Amazing units....All my good stuff is waiting for a bigger home,

and the GT-10 works fine into my Korg D3200.....

Archived