Gibson Brands Forums

'New' J-45 ~

E-minor7

Have a look at my 'new' J-45. It arrived Thursday and have filled the rooms this weekend. Isn't she lovely, - as S. Wonder would say. . .

A few issues :

The G-tuner isn't straight. Hope it can be fixed without breaking it.

The nut width is 1-5/8 which is just about too narrow. I can handle though.

The all wooden saddle is a piece of homework, I believe. It's pretty high – guess the top has sunk/risen - and will be replaced by a rosewood insert with normal sized bone saddle.

The neck is a bit beefy.

Apart from that everything is intact and tremendously well. The bracing is tight, not really scalloped, but ruler-thin. Every tone is absolutely in tune, the action is fine. Even with this saddle the voice is great – vintage like the best of Ports. Think I can feel/hear where it's goin'. It could be used as a quiet after midnight player, but of course I have to test its full potential.

The luthier will take over as soon as possible.

15May2011004c.jpg

Congratulations on the new addition... Looks like it's just waiting to let you hear it's voice. Nice vintage 'burst, too.

'Been "de-Adj'ed", perhaps? Looking forward to hearing your report once you test for it's "potential".

And here's to many an enjoyable quiet After Midnight session, as well.

ps: if the G- tuner is still functional, I'd keep it as it is; a story behind that, I'm sure. Just let the mystery be.

Have a look at my 'new' J-45. It arrived Thursday and have filled the rooms this weekend. Isn't she lovely, - as S. Wonder would say. . .

A few issues :

The G-tuner isn't straight. Hope it can be fixed without breaking it.

The nut width is 1-5/8 which is just about too narrow. I can handle though.

The all wooden saddle is a piece of homework, I believe. It's pretty high – guess the top has sunk/risen - and will be replaced by a rosewood insert with normal sized bone saddle.

The neck is a bit beefy.

Apart from that everything is intact and tremendously well. The bracing is tight, not really scalloped, but ruler-thin. Every tone is absolutely in tune, the action is fine. Even with this saddle the voice is great – vintage like the best of Ports. Think I can feel/hear where it's goin'. It could be used as a quiet after midnight player, but of course I have to test its full potential.

The luthier will take over as soon as possible.

Hey E-minor,..Nice burst on that baby!!!

....you should do a relic on a new set of Klusons and throw the old ones in the case and keep if you ever decide to sell.

Its so nice having a brand new set of tuners and will really improve your j-45. Below are a few snaps of the set I just did for my '64 J-50...

DSCN0423.jpg

DSCN0417.jpg

[thumbup]

Looks great, small details that can be changed and tone enhance. Looks a heluva lot like the SJ in your pic, doesnt it ?

Very cool vintage vibe to her, I like :-)

Yes, but she be rounder in the shoulders, and thus a little older than the SJ, methinks (or did the 45s go square a bit later than their southern sisters?)

Of course, its slope shouldered, I must be going blind .. [blink]

Yes, but she be rounder in the shoulders, and thus a little older than the SJ, methinks (or did the 45s go square a bit later than their southern sisters?)

Not blind EA - I swear there are quite a few photos out there where I really can't tell the difference (take the roundshoulder from a certain angle, and bingo it'll look square; vice-versa too). And the burst on EMin7's duo is dazzling to the point of confusion. Beautiful both. Hope they sound dissimilar though - variety is the spice and all that...

Hail for your positive comments an views. I'll return some :

A fascinating thing about bursts is the way they play in different lighting. As they sort of close down in dim candle light, they can open and shine like jewelry when hit by rays of sun. The 'new' 45gets slightly overyellow on the outdoor picture - in reality it's more amber. The old nitro has undergone the vintage process which brings an orangish glow to the instrument. But it doesn't get as dark or warm as the 63 SJ at all (that ragged king is really hot) – must say I like both hues a lot.

62burst, you might be right about the G-tuner. Maybe it should just be seen as a tiny zag in its personality. A touch of mystery is fine. . .

Kahune, there's nothing on the back of the headstock, but the FON code (or is it the serial number) inside the box starts with an S, which should mean 59. It only had one owner, was ordered in late 58 and brought home the following year. According to our dialog, the seller will send pics. from its glorious past and if they are funny, I'll post a few.

Spotondrum, the idea is good. I've been following your theme on the other thread, and wondered if the same thing could be done with too glossy golden tuners f.x. on a Bird. Probably yes. . .

Btw ain't that orange/lightblue/turquoise Kluson box hip.

EuroAu and Mojo, yes, it's absolutely 2 different guitars. The normal rd. sh. 45 turned square as late as 69, but by then the bracing was totally different – heavier as we know. I tried one last year and think that model is closer to Euros C&W or my own 68 SJ, like it or not. They kept the white button tuners, often came cherryburst with a brown headstock. Some of them appear almost burgundyburst now.

My 2 oldies - the 63 SJ and 59 J-45 - are close family, but I believe they hold different characteristics. I will compare them here when the 'new' sweety is back from the luthier. Have patience folks -

Spotondrum, the idea is good. I've been following your theme on the other thread, and wondered if the same thing could be done with too glossy golden tuners f.x. on a Bird. Probably yes. . .

Btw ain't that orange/lightblue/turquoise Kluson box hip.

I think as long as the metal is nickel plated then a "relic" is possible. Won't work on Chrome. Keep your beauty as original as posible and get the standard Klusons and relic them!!!

Oh and YES, That sure is a great logo!!!!

[thumbup]

My 2 oldies - the 63 SJ and 59 J-45 - are close family, but I believe they hold different characteristics. I will compare them here when the 'new' sweety is back from the luthier. Have patience folks -

Make some sound clips and let us pick which ones which ... :-)

Make some sound clips and let us pick which ones which ... :-)

Dear Mr. Test-lecturer.

I would if I could, but haven't got proper recording facilities here – I make my sketches on an ancient 4-track cassette player and feel a bit superstitious about that tool. Could take them to a studio and will if time is found. Usually other tasks wait there. . .

We'll see what happens. Will write about them though.

Nice one....are you keeping the bridge/saddle arrangement or going with fixed saddle???

My good luthier received it yesterday. He agreed to make a rosewood insert with ordinary sized bone saddle. But both must remain unglued and moveable. I want to keep the possibility to, 1 – put the wooden block seen on the picture back (might record with an out of this world mellow, still deep vintage tone) and 2 – try different saddle options. He will even out the frets and remove the bolts and rings from under the top also.

The curved G-tuner won't be touched.

Archived