Gibson Brands Forums

Has anyone heard from Gilliangirl ?

E-minor7

Hi Em7! Thanks for caring about me! I am still kicking! I have been spending hours.... HOURS, every day out at the farm where I board my horse. Bought a new saddle (could have bought a new guitar for what I paid for it), spending time grooming my giant plush toy of her winter coat (she no longer resembles a woolly mammoth), and cleaning up big piles of, well, it doesn't matter. [biggrin]

As a result, my guitar playing is suffering, and I didn't have a lot of room for deterioration haha! I did get together with a good friend last weekend for a play 'n sing, and despite slacking off for the past few months, we weren't as bad as we thought we'd be. Notice I didn't say we were good; we just weren't as bad as we could have been. [biggrin] I am sort of working on a picking pattern for 500 Miles by Peter, Paul and Mary, so I haven't completely given up. I bought that Zoom Q3HD with the intention of using it for guitar, but I've been recording videos of Sable (horse) eating cookies instead. Oh dear, where are my priorities!? [laugh]

Bought a new saddle (could have bought a new guitar for what I paid for it)

I can believe it. Many, many years ago I lived in a town down in West Texas. There were a couple of different saddle maker shops located right downtown. Sometimes when walking by, I'd stop to admire their craft. It looked like a LOT of work went into those saddles — real works of art.

All the best,

Guth

Hi Karen,

I too, was wondering where you were .... Monday, I ordered yet another set of bone bridge pins (with 4mm Abalone dot inlays) from Bob Colosi (for my Martin 000-42 Marquis), and at that time I thought about you and considered posing E-minor7's ("where is Gilliangirl?") question to the Forum myself, but he took care of it for me... Glad to hear you're well and equipped with new riding gear.

The Peter Paul and Mary version of 500 Miles is one of my all-time favorite folk tunes. They fingered it in "D" but it works well in most open keys.

(Peter Yarrow and Paul Stookey often used capos to provide different "voicings" for their guitars in order to play more effectively off one another. In fact that's one of the little "secrets" of the "authentic" PP&M Folk Music sound of the '60s. One key, played in two different fingerings, and at different places on the neck can make two acoustic guitars sound really spectacular together, especially when finger-picking is involved.)

Anyway, Karen, it was good to hear from you,

Jack6849

Fine to hear you are up and goin'. Imagine the horse is eager to get on grass now.

And congrats on the new saddle (was it adjustable). Leather craftmanship is great. I even get a kick from my guitar straps. Keep swinging those 6-strings ~

. . . and long live Peter Paul & Mary

Fine to hear you are up and goin'. Imagine the horse is eager to get on grass now.

And congrats on the new saddle (was it adjustable). Leather craftmanship is great. I even get a kick from my guitar straps. Keep swinging those 6-strings ~

. . . and long live Peter Paul & Mary

Reminds me of an old joke.....What has six legs, sings and wears a bra????

Reminds me of an old joke.....What has six legs, sings and wears a bra????

Hahehe - Never heard that one before. Don't know if it ever crossed the pond.

I would have answered : A dragon called Puff !

Hi Em7! Thanks for caring about me! I am still kicking! I have been spending hours.... HOURS, every day out at the farm where I board my horse. Bought a new saddle (could have bought a new guitar for what I paid for it), spending time grooming my giant plush toy of her winter coat (she no longer resembles a woolly mammoth), and cleaning up big piles of, well, it doesn't matter. [biggrin]

As a result, my guitar playing is suffering, and I didn't have a lot of room for deterioration haha! I did get together with a good friend last weekend for a play 'n sing, and despite slacking off for the past few months, we weren't as bad as we thought we'd be. Notice I didn't say we were good; we just weren't as bad as we could have been. [biggrin] I am sort of working on a picking pattern for 500 Miles by Peter, Paul and Mary, so I haven't completely given up. I bought that Zoom Q3HD with the intention of using it for guitar, but I've been recording videos of Sable (horse) eating cookies instead. Oh dear, where are my priorities!? [laugh]

GG: And I thought you had run off with a tall handsome stranger-so there is still hope

Moose

GG: And I thought you had run off with a tall handsome stranger-so there is still hope

Moose

Moosey, there will never be anyone but you. You, me and your Epi Excellente, as we ride off into the sunset. You can ride, right? [biggrin]

Hi Karen,

I too, was wondering where you were .... Monday, I ordered yet another set of bone bridge pins (with 4mm Abalone dot inlays) from Bob Colosi (for my Martin 000-42 Marquis), and at that time I thought about you and considered posing E-minor7's ("where is Gilliangirl?") question to the Forum myself, but he took care of it for me... Glad to hear you're well and equipped with new riding gear.

The Peter Paul and Mary version of 500 Miles is one of my all-time favorite folk tunes. They fingered it in "D" but it works well in most open keys.

(Peter Yarrow and Paul Stookey often used capos to provide different "voicings" for their guitars in order to play more effectively off one another. In fact that's one of the little "secrets" of the "authentic" PP&M Folk Music sound of the '60s. One key, played in two different fingerings, and at different places on the neck can make two acoustic guitars sound really spectacular together, especially when finger-picking is involved.)

Anyway, Karen, it was good to hear from you,

Jack6849

Hi Jack!

Aha! I did not know that about how they played it. It's so hard to see what they're doing in those dark, fuzzy old 1960's film clips haha! I did the stupidest thing...... I was working on a nice picking routine for this but failed to write it down. Now, going back to it a few days later, I can't remember what the heck I came up with. Grrrr!

The horse is a very soothing animal to mankind. I know because I share your passion for the horses. You will work out the time for both.

Good to hear from you.

Sooooo true. Winston Churchill said: The outside of a horse is good for the inside of a man.

After a stressful day at work I go out and see the giant plush toy and the big bad ugly world just melts away.

LOL What was the answer to this and how come you got a -1 rating for it? ROFL!

Well...the answer is obvious...Peter, Paul, and Mary....lol......Sometimes I don't think it matters what I write in this forum someone or someones keep giving me a " -1", I imagine in this case "bra" was not a politically correct word....lol....whatever......

Archived