Gibson Brands Forums

339 or 137?

snugdad

I'm currently considering either a 339 or 137 and would like some advice. Here's a little of my background. I've been playing for around 45 years now and wish I still had some of my past guitars. Among a litany of guitars I had a Gibson Melody Maker in the late 60's, then a Telecaster, then later a reissue gold top Les Paul that I eventually sold to Gruhn's. At the time none of us thought things from the 60's were "vintage" and of potential value. [biggrin] That said, I've never been able to afford more than a couple of guitars at one time so a new one would represent splurging for me.

I currently have a Schecter Telecaster I bought new in 1983. It was great when playing in a cover band because it's quite versatile with splittable humbuckers in both positions. I also have an Alvarez electric/acoustic that I used when working in bands and finally a Sada Yairi acoustic (both purchased new in the 80's). I don't know if it's typical but the S. Yairi is a simply wonderful sounding and playing guitar.

So I'm thinking I may be able to convince my wife I need to buy one more guitar and would like to make it a good one. I like the 339 but am also fascinated by the 137 as an almost hollow body Les Paul. I know there are many of you with lots of guitars out there so some of you probably have both. Anyone care to take a stab at comparing the two for me? Thanks in advance.

My personal points of view....

The 339 veers towards the 335 aesthetically....being a smaller take on that classic

The 137 (derived from the earlier 135) with it's delightful Florentine cutaway, is an interesting creation

With echoes of the classic 175....and yet being toted as a 'hollow Les Paul'

So IMO there is a fascinating 'jazz' component in the 137.....

V

:-({|=

Funny you should mention the 137 as being like a Les Paul. You could look at the 137 as a giant LP and the 339 as a LP sized 335. The 137 would have more of a neck and fret access of the LP while the 339 having a 335 neck and fret access.

I have played quite a few 335's but really don't remember playing a 339. I have heard on here of some poeple complaining they aren't easy to play sitting down, but I don't know if it is or not.

If you remember the ES-125's, the later ones, the 137 seems to be built on the same template, but it has a solid block of balsa wood down the center. While balsa is lighter than maple, it is still about as heavy as a 335.

And there is another option now, in case you didn't know. There are a lot of Les Pauls now that are CHAMBERED, so they are a lot like a semi-hollow in sound and weight. OR, imagine a great feeling and playing Les Paul that weighs as much as a 50's Tele. Who needs that vintage crap.

Have fun deciding.

And welcome to the forums here. We give marriage advice counseling here as well, so I suggest you buy would wife a necklace or something, slide on down to your big-box store and hack on a bunch, then seek out a reputable dealer and get you a great one.

I'd say play some of both. It sounds as if you're in an area where you'd have access to several versions of both types of guitar.

We also know that HenryJ himself has made the comment that every individual neck will feel somewhat different and personally the neck is my "determining factor" in what trips my own trigger, although I admit to a preference for semi and hollows in general.

I think in the final analysis how you "feel" with the different body shapes and necks will make the difference. Both are versatile instruments. In one sense I'd probably go by nature to the 137 'cuz of more of a jazz vibe, but... if somebody put me into a big guitar store and said, "I'll buy one or the other for you," I'd play both through a cupla amps but finally decide more on a basis of feel...

Note also that a cupla experienced pickers all are giving roughly the same "take" that you can't go wrong with either guitar and that "feel" one way or another would be the deciding factor. Hmmmm.

m

Thanks to all so far. As for marital advice, after 37 years you're going to need to come up with something really good cause she's heard it all by now. [biggrin]

[crying] :unsure: [scared][lol] [lol] [lol] ...........

Snugdad...

Hmmmmmm. No marital advice. You're likely old enough to have a routine down - as in ducking when you see the .38 special on a .45 frame swinging in your direction.

All kidding aside, though, I know folks like to make comparisons with the LP. I tend to look at each body style and each individual guitar as ... just that, an individual. It ain't "You take Mary and I'll take Sue, ain't no dif'rence between the two..." Each will feel and play differently.

Another factor is strings and setup for what you play etc. Then there's the "what amp are you using and what will you use the instrument for."

As I said, my personal inclination would be for the 137 and yet... if I were playing in a band 'stedda mostly doing solo type things, I might figure the 339 a better match. OTOH... then there's the real question: Which individual instrument I mess with feels better?

m

..... So I'm thinking I may be able to convince my wife I need to buy one more guitar and would like to make it a good one. I like the 339 but am also fascinated by the 137 as an almost hollow body Les Paul. ....

Not to confuse things, but since it's mentioned - here's a hollow body Les Paul - http://cgi.ebay.com/1995-GIBSON-CUSTOM-SHOP-LES-PAUL-FLORENTINE-PLUS-GUITAR-/290560565857?pt=Guitar&hash=item43a6c26261#ht_12374wt_962 . . . . . <no affiliation>

59784.01.jpg

There are some very good deals now on Used 339s. I purchased a 339 and a 359 used and I like them both. Go play them and decide for yourself. For the money you can get a used 339 in great shape for about $1,000 less than a new one.

I prefer the 339..and it's really comfy to play even seated..but it all depends on the type of music you play..my choice-a 339

I played the 137 at my store..didn't like it much cause it felt too jazzy(I'm not much of a jazz guy)..and so favored the 339

I have one of each I prefer the 339 it's got a classic look and feel in a comfortable and fun size. You can hit it hard or get some clean soft tones with a light touch. the 137 is a nice guitar it has a great clean jazzy tone that if that's what your after is hard to beat while it does that wonderfully it just doesn't seem to be as versatile as the 339 at least not to me. That said I have to admit though that I really like the 339 size and have a serious addiction to gibson ES models and other semi hollow body with a similar design, sound and feel I have Gibsons, Taylors, Gretsch, Epiphone several Godins and a Hamer and almost anything that is made in the semi hollow 335 genre.

The ES 135 from about 18 years ago was a guitar I seriously lusted after

It was very slimline and fully hollow with a trapeze tailpiece

It looked classic with an easier handling than the deeper semis

It was then 'improved' by the addition of the centre block

Then a stop tailpiece was added

This eventually evolved into the ES 137....

V

:-({|=

Archived