Gibson Brands Forums

Anyone else like Hamer guitars?

heymisterk

I do. I also think they can be had for very good deals used. The Hamer USA models I have played have all been top-notch. Kind of interesting that Hamer never took off in a way that, say, PRS did.

Just my thoughts for a slow Thursday afternoon...

They really were great guitars when they were just expensive, US made Hamers and Rick Nielson was like their biggest user for quite a while. Rocky4 is right, once they were everywhere, just like the proverbial dog poop, they began to be identified as being just suck like their cheapo imports with their name on them. Too bad, I liked a few over the years, but I've never owned one.

rct

When you look on ebay, you can find a nice used '90s Hamer - a Special or a Studio - for a very good price, especially if you are patient. There is a very nice Studio listed now with an exquisite flamed maple top for under $900. I think that's a good deal, and I have seen them even cheaper.

They lost their identity when they started making cheaper bolt ons, like Dean. I think some are made overseas. I love my '93 Special!

I had one of those in TV yellow. Great guitar but I sold it to buy an acoustic 12-string.

They lost their identity when they started making cheaper bolt ons, like Dean. I think some are made overseas. I love my '93 Special!

BnP8NgCGkKGrHqQOKiYEtln4Og7BLls6ZWS.jpg

When I knew I was in love with the P-90 sound, I looked at one just like that. I went with the SG Classic for the simple and stupid reason that I wanted to be Pete Townsend imitating Live at Leeds. No regrets though!

I love Hamer USA guitars, my Talladega is one of my favorite guitars.

For some reason, I thought Hamer had stopped USA production...The Talladegas are indeed very nice....

They truly are an option for an American made awesome guitar........

The USA models appear to hold their value fairly well, and there aren't a million of them on the secondary market. They do have some nice tops, but models without binding look to be going for a grand +, which is more than I would pay for one. Seem to be decent quality, but I never played one that I HAD to have.

A guy I went to uni with plays bass in a group with an exclusive Hamer guy. Seems like all you see when you play out anymore is a bunch of Fenders and Gibsons with an occasional PRS or Ibanez in the mix. Interesting to see some different instruments out there, and see what different sounds people can get with them.

I also find it interesting that PRS didn't lose credibility when they started schlepping the SE (cheap imported bolt neck) line. Maybe if Hamer built $30,000 one-offs like PRS does, people would respect the brand more? People are funny, they often think higher price = automatically better.

I have played some USA Hamers and they are totally nice guitars. I get Hamers, but I don't get PRS. Those Strat bridges look so cheap and mismatched to me.

Actually, the whole PRS thing was what got me thinking about Hamer guitars again.

For a while, I really wanted to buy a McCarty model because I had heard such glowing things about the workmanship at PRS. And I liked the set-up: wrap-around bridge, simple appointments, nice top. For a NON-"10" top, you are still looking at $1,500; for a 10 top, anywhere from $1,500 up, depending on the mood or delusion of the ebay seller. And I am, of course, talking used.

Okay, got it. Then I went back to a model I had found by Hamer I had always liked: A mid-'90s Hamer Studio. Great flamed maple top, simple appointments (wrap-around bridge, just like the PRS), and Duncan pick-ups. Price? Well, the ones I have seen have hovered around or below the $1,000 mark.

Hmmmm... :-k

Archived