Gibson Brands Forums

Yet another FAKE Les Paul being sold as a real one on ebay

davidb1986

This one's going to go the distance me thinks, still up. Could wait until buyer leaves feedback and then let them know it was reported umpteen times. They might be able to hold eBay liable then.

Good call. I hope someone does if this auction actually closes.

I'm just gonna place a bid towards the end and not pay for it..... I have a 100% rating so I can take a ding

Good man. Just tell ebay that you'd reported it and it wasn't taken down. Plus you wanted to stop a fraudulent sale.

Guest Farnsbarns Wunterslausche

Good man. Just tell ebay that you'd reported it and it wasn't taken down. Plus you wanted to stop a fraudulent sale.

Very noble, I also have 100% but only 10 transaction so a hit would be 10% or I might consider it. You could just stick 3 grand in now.

Since the reporting has been done, I'll comment on the fact you can see an outline of the tool who took the photos in the reflection in the shot of the back of the guitar. Has anyone done a "ask the seller a question?"

Since the reporting has been done, I'll comment on the fact you can see an outline of the tool who took the photos in the reflection in the shot of the back of the guitar. Has anyone done a "ask the seller a question?"

I'm pretty sure that E-bay allows the seller to control which questions show up on the listing.

Christ on a bike! It sold for $1700+. I do hope that was you Duane? I'm now watching for the feedback so I can contact the buyer.

The seller just sent me an email that she cancelled the sale of the guitar due to all the ebay messages she was receiving [thumbup] .... good job fellow guitar-heads

I think the seller is lying, the auction went to the end as far as I could/can tell. I'm going to keep watching that feedback.

I think the seller is lying, the auction went to the end as far as I could/can tell. I'm going to keep watching that feedback.

me too...

Now that she has already admitted to fault, I will wait for the feedback

Hi 'ive just bought a les paul on ebay but i'm scared to death that it is a fake - anyone knows where i can check the serialnumber??

Welcome.

The serial number could be legit - fakers use "real" Gibson serial numbers all the time.

Post pics of your guitar - clear, well lit overhead views, no angles, of at least these shots - headstock front and back, overall top shot, and body top shot.

Welcome.

The serial number could be legit - fakers use "real" Gibson serial numbers all the time.

Post pics of your guitar - clear, well lit overhead views, no angles, of at least these shots - headstock front and back, overall top shot, and body top shot.

Unfortunately serial numbers alone are not enough to verify authenticity of a guitar... however, if you email Gibson the SN, they may be able to tell you what the guitar or guitars (yes, they've been known to overlap serial numbers, especially from the early years through to the 70's).

If the guitar doesn't match the description of any of the guitars known by Gibson to have that SN, it could be a fake.

Also as BigKahune said, post pics, even the good fakes are often easy for experienced Gibson owners to spot and there are many guys that are less experienced like myself who could still spot many fakes from a mile away. Most of the fakes out there are obvious when you know at least some basic knowledge of what to look for.

Archived