Gibson Brands Forums

You have 2500 dollars, what guitar would you buy?

MyJ-45

My vote, SJ200. You just can't go wrong. You should here this thing mic'd up. Oh wait, you can!

http://appleproaudio.com/mp3/dylan.mp3

That's me doing a two-guitar take, one finger picked, one flat-picked, directly into my Pro Tools 002R with just a tiny bit of reverb on the main mix, and no EQ or other tricks. If that sound don't make you want a J200, I don't know what will.

Thanks. :)

I suppose you can sound like that if you have a freshly strung J200 and a high-end Violet microphone like I was demoing when I made that. I was reviewing the mic, and I wanted to do a test with it that anyone with the same quality guitar and recording device could duplicate. So I went direct into the 002R with it, one vocal track, two guitar tracks.... I was so happy with the results, and not only of how good the mic sounded, but how great that guitar records.

Not to drift too far off the subject, but for the record, the key to getting a great sound when recording the J200 is to point that mike at the middle of the neck, and you'll get that sparkling warmth every time.

I am not currently even thinking about my next guitar and have never really thought about an SJ.....but after that one Mike .....I sure am now!

Will I sound that good if I get one???

Feel free to post clips any time....thanks!

Truth be told, it won't be long before I have in the neighborhood of $2,000 to spend on a new acoustic. I'm gonna lay it down on an AJ. I have a Dove, a Hummingbird, and a J-45 RW. Love all three of 'em to death. But my vocals blend oh so nice with the rosewood dread, hence the AJ. Will be so nice to have two rosewood dreads. Just another data point for your consideration.

Hi,

A j 45 is my only gibson acoustic too, so where in the same situation (exept that I don't havve 2500 $ to spent, and that's not even in sight#-o )

I guess you have to go out and try some guitars. If had the money to spend I'd go out and play, a J 200, Hummingbird (mayby a little close to the J 45 in the tonewood department), but I would also consider a J 185 or a dove.

I once played a Western Classic Prewar 200 in a shop, which was out of this world, both sound and money wise.

I owned a AJ before I got my J 45, and it did not work for me as the only guitar, because it was just to loud and boomey for strumming vocal companion. Nevertheless a beatyfull instrument, wish I'd still have it , but it had to go for the j 45.

New or used, I would decide that after you decided which model you want. Simply, you won't get a J 200 for 2500$.

Let us know what you decide and don't forget to post pics when the time has come!

P.S. Sorry, you won't get a martin vote from me here, there are just too many beatyful gibons you have to buy first.

I was faced with almost this exact scenario just last week. I spent the entire week on it (vacation I called it). I went around and tried *every* guitar within a 100 mile radius and was surprised by quite a few. To be honest I had never really considered getting a Gibson. In fact I was looking at about every brand except Gibson..it just never popped into my head for some reason. Being a Martin guy at the time the first thing I did was check out the D18-GE and the HD-28 as well as some OM models, they sounded good they didn't have "it".

On my 4th day of the tryouts I was waiting for a sales person to give me a quote on a few guitars, and while I waited I picked up the first guitar I could reach - which ended up being a J-45RW. To say I was blown away would be an understatement. I must have played that guitar for 30 minutes and I really wanted to find something to gripe about, but a gripe just wan't to be found. It made me completely forget about guitars that were MUCH more expensive. It boiled down to the sound & feel, which this guitar had in abundance.

The J-45RW is now mine and I ended up finding this great community as a direct result. :D/

I guess the point I am trying to make is to be open minded, and to make the decision based on what you hear and feel as opposed to the cost.

The Artist Formerly Known As A Martin Guy,

A.J. Newkirk

The best overall Gibson, in my opinion, for a working musician is the songwriter deluxe. It has a strong pickup, great sustain with the ebony fingerboard and is built with some strength for the realities of life on the road without compromising tone or resonance.

It records well plugged in or acoustically and is comfortable to play in both standing or seated positions. It doesn't have the articulation of an Advanced Jumbo, and it won't ever be as clear and gentle as a Hummingbird, but it is a versatile model that can do almost anything well.

A.J.' date=' which finish did you get? I have the vintage burst, which is beautiful, but the natural is also stunning.

[/quote']

I got the vintage sunburst also. Once I saw it I couldn't resist.

I'll have to start a thread about it once I get a pic to bug everyone for things like opinions on FWI brige (on 1 hand it sounds great so why change anything, on the other hand if it could get even better!..) etc etc.

That Sj-200 is awesome!!!

However, if that body is too big for your frame and you prefer the shorter scale, you cannot do better than the Fuller's J-35 reissue. It has AJ bracing, adi top, 1 3/4 nut, sweet neck and a beautiful vintage burst. Did I mention magnificent tone????

Call Jeremy at Fuller's.

I would write more but I have to order an SJ-200!!!

That Sj-200 is awesome!!!

However, if that body is too big for your frame and you prefer the shorter scale, you cannot do better than the Fuller's J-35 reissue. It has AJ bracing, adi top, 1 3/4 nut, sweet neck and a beautiful vintage burst. Did I mention magnificent tone????

Call Jeremy at Fuller's.

I would write more but I have to order an SJ-200!!! :D/

thanks for all the help guys! I will probably be looking at an SJ-200. That's really is what ill want. It's just....really, bottom line the best guitar probably ever made in the world for any price at all. haha. ive already located several in my area under 2300 and will be looking looking looking.

thanks,

John

Archived