Gibson Brands Forums

P90 question

I will change P90 stock pickups with a set of Lindy Fralin stock wound bridge pickup and 10% underwound neck pickup.

I have a (stupid?) question: neck cover is lower than bridge one Is there something special for installing the neck pickup? Thanks

Neck pickups are mounted further away from the strings, mainly because of their position on the string's length, they have a more pronounced magnetic influence over the strings vibration than bridge pickups do.

I will change P90 stock pickups with a set of Lindy Fralin stock wound bridge pickup and 10% underwound neck pickup.

I have a (stupid?) question: neck cover is lower than bridge one Is there something special for installing the neck pickup? Thanks

temp285.jpg

P.S there are no Stupid questions around here, only stupid answers....this might be one of them [biggrin]

Great wisdom has been imparted already, but here's my 5 cents. If you do find that you want the neck pickup higher, Lollar Guitars sells a pack of different thickness shims for dogear P90's for a few dollars. I haven't tried them myself but remembered hearing about them before. Here's a link:

Lollar dogear shims

Yes, both Lollar and Biltoft sell the shims that match the P90 shape that are fairly flexible to conform to an archtop body shape. Other parts places, Allparts for instance, sell shims cheaper. But they are not the same exact shape as the pickup cover and are hard plastic. Worst yet they are bigger and just look wonky. I know, I fell for it trying to save a few bucks and ended up having to make router jigs to cut them down. As with many things, sometimes cheaper isn't always better in the long run.

Archived