Gibson Brands Forums

Upper Neck Access

ne14t?

So I was in a different L&M location this weekend to browse the guitar collection and see if anything popped out at me, well two little guys did. This location has in stock Flying V and Les Paul Studio models with the worn cherry finish. Both were really nice guitars and both had screaming low price tags on them ($200) less then they are advertising on there web page, the tag was marked $800 and change. I love both of them and want to take them both home unfortunately its not in the budget, so I gotta ask you LP fanatics if you can get over the hard access to the top frets? I picked up both guitars and they both felt great the V was very similar to my Explorer for neck access but the LP felt a little weird, is this something you guys got over quickly? I am kinda GASing for the V but I believe everyone should have a Les Paul variant somewhere in there collection...I dont suppose anyone would wanna loan me $800 :D

For me; Les Pauls are O.K. for doing most 'way up there' soloing....Except for complicated hammer-off runs...

It is a bit of a trade off.....I haven't played a ' V ' in years, but I remember upper access is fine...$800.00

for Studios is what M.F. sells them for....Gibson has re-released their double cut away Les Paul, and

at $1999.00 it's a great guitar with nice upper neck access, but, that's not in your budget right now...

That's all I can offer Net........

No SG love [sad]

Ne14 has an SG....One of those new models with the P-90s...He even posted a vid...

Awesome Pete Townshend tone and vibe...Good price as well.........

Guest FarnsBarns

You do get used to it in the main part. That said, you will always feel It's much easier when you play your SG. It is also relatively cheap to get a luthier to magic away some material from the back of the horn and make it much easier. There's a luthier near me who makes LP type guitars like this and top fret access is amazing.

Yeah I am going in tomorrow to snag the V, I just got word I get my 5 year review and raise this friday so the Studio LP might not be that far to follow. I came to the conclusion yesterday, I am going to decorate all the walls in my apartment with nothing but guitars. My girlfriend did not like the idea at all, good thing she doesn't live with me so its my choice in the long run, and she is well aware that nothing comes between me and my guitars. She keeps telling me it would look tacky, and I keep telling her she is high! I mean cmon maybe put up a B/W picture of Jimi with his flaming guitar, or Pete doing one of his awesome jumping windmill, I am a pretty huge music aficionado and have nothing on my walls and thought it would be cool, now that I have finished with my random tangent we can resume to our original programming.

Getting at those frets is not only overrated, it's pretty dangerous. Can't count how many guitar players I've seen embarrass themselves up in the weedly parts. Intonation is very important, and I mean your own, not the guitars. Most sound tortured up there, I go there only when I can really concentrate on strength and control, because you need it up there.

That said, buy the one you dig, you dig?

rct

I would get the V instead of a LP Studio. Get the V now and save up for a nice LP later, like a RI or Custom - whatever your ideal LP is. There's nothing wrong with an LP Studio but you'll eventually wish it was a top-tier LP.

1959 Gibson Les Paul re-issue or the Jimmy Page #2 would be my dream Gibson and I think I am hitting it home when I say Dream.

Getting at those frets is not only overrated, it's pretty dangerous. Can't count how many guitar players I've seen embarrass themselves up in the weedly parts. Intonation is very important, and I mean your own, not the guitars. Most sound tortured up there, I go there only when I can really concentrate on strength and control, because you need it up there.

That said, buy the one you dig, you dig?

rct

I have fatter German fingers from eating all that chocolate when I was young, Ja! So I have even been known to mess up on guitars like my Explorer where well you shouldnt be able to! I am sure some practice of playing it would help fix that, might actually be good for going back to guitars like the Explorer that have the crazy good upper access (yeah I am dreaming again)

Les Paul Double Cut -

$(KGrHqEOKm4E2UiRPiNFBNyyVHIz3w~~_3.JPG

Whoa whoa whoa were did that sexy mama come from?! I like very much like that guitar right down to the color and everything. Kinda a shame it looks like a master tone and master volume, I guess could just play it balls to the wall with both cranked, I find myself doing that a lot these days and just rolling back if need be.

You do get used to it in the main part. That said, you will always feel It's much easier when you play your SG. It is also relatively cheap to get a luthier to magic away some material from the back of the horn and make it much easier. There's a luthier near me who makes LP type guitars like this and top fret access is amazing.

I find fret access on les pauls to be easier than SGs because the pointy horn gets in the way and i have to smoosh my hand up to reach in.

Archived