Gibson Brands Forums

Billy Gibbons Rig Rundown

Bowdiddley

Hi Pippy! It was about the strange phenomenon whereby Billy Gibbons sounds like Billy Gibbons whether he's playing the Pearly Gates, a Billy Bo covered in fur or a Fender Telecaster, wasn't it? Or rather that his Telecaster sounds like the Pearly Gates, because he doesn't want anybody to know he's playing a Telecaster. That was the bit where I nearly fell over. Why does he keep so many vintage guitars? I read once that he was really into vintage Fender Esquires. If I had a top vintage LP and a 1950s Fender Esquire or Tele, I'd want everybody to hear the difference. Beck and Page have always done that, but still sound like Beck and Page. But then I guess BG's got a winning formula in his sound, so why mess with it? Not my favourite blues rocker, but he is great at what he does.

Hi Pippy! It was about the strange phenomenon whereby Billy Gibbons sounds like Billy Gibbons whether he's playing the Pearly Gates, a Billy Bo covered in fur or a Fender Telecaster, wasn't it? Or rather that his Telecaster sounds like the Pearly Gates, because he doesn't want anybody to know he's playing a Telecaster. That was the bit where I nearly fell over.

Hi back!

Yes! That was the bit I really didn't understand at all. Why bother to change guitars if you then electronically dial them in to sound exactly alike? Makes absolutely no sense at all!

I can fully appreciate how he can adore vintage instruments. Who here doesn't? But to make all his stage guitars sound exactly like Pearly? Why? Why not just use one of his Pearly re-issues for the whole set? OK. Three. One for slide and one spare.

His tone settings were amazing, though. Full Bass, half-ish Mid and NO TREBLE ! Pretty much the exact opposite of what I use and we must ask ourselves; "Which one of us is the multi-multi-millionaire-guitar-God?" LOL!

(I did give his settings a go at home and I sounded even worse than usual...)

P.

Hi back!

Yes! That was the bit I really didn't understand at all. Why bother to change guitars if you then electronically dial them in to sound exactly alike? Makes absolutely no sense at all!

I can fully appreciate how he can adore vintage instruments. Who here doesn't? But to make all his stage guitars sound exactly like Pearly? Why? Why not just use one of his Pearly re-issues for the whole set? OK. Three. One for slide and one spare.

His tone settings were amazing, though. Full Bass, half-ish Mid and NO TREBLE ! Pretty much the exact opposite of what I use and we must ask ourselves; "Which one of us is the multi-multi-millionaire-guitar-God?" LOL!

(I did give his settings a go at home and I sounded even worse than usual...)

P.

Ah, but did you change your strings to 7s first?!

http://www.billygibbons.com/index.php/guitar-gear/reverend-willy-s-mexican-lottery-guitar-strings-6-set.html

"Reverend Willy's Mexican Lottery Guitar Strings 6/set

These Rev. Willy's nickel plated steel electric guitar strings by Dunlop were developed in collaboration with ZZ Top's Billy Gibbons. These are the strings available in several gauges, medium/light, fine, and superfine, made in the U.S.A.

Dunlop and Billy Gibbons worked together to develop these soulful, rich, articulate and smooth signature string series. These were specifically designed to offer a real punch and still stay articulate and clear when performing his legendary leads and pinch harmonics. For that big fat Texas tone that is "hot, blue and righteous," which Billy has made famous, you will want to give Rev. Willy's strings a try.

Our Medium/Light is 9-42, Fine is 8-40, and Superfine is 7-38."

strings.jpg

Keep it on topic

For heavens sakes this thread is supposed to be about amp rigs..... A subject matter we can all learn from

talk about guitar stuff on a guitar forum.

Duane... are you high? I WANT DRAMA

btw, I got the most amazing sounds from my amp yesterday by just messing with my guitar volume and tone knobs... learn your amp guys, don't just stock up on pedals...

Keep it on topic

For heavens sakes this thread is supposed to be about amp rigs..... A subject matter we can all learn from

Think what a better world it would be if we all had cookies and milk about three o'clock every afternoon and then lay down on our blankets for a nap...

Archived