Gibson Brands Forums

SG pickup problem

rockman82

I've tried posting this in the gear section, and it seems like that place doesn't get much attention very often. But the main thing is the bridge pickup on my sg seems to have died. It doesn't emit sound at all. I've checked the wiring and everything from the bridge pickup seems to be fine. Has anyone had this problem before? I'd appreciate the help.

Update: The pickup seems to work if I mess with the volume knob, but it's very little output.

I think that it is important to know indeed the age of the pickup.

You could however also measure maybe the output of the pickup, with the pots disconnected.

The relative output measurements you can check from the following webpage:

http://www.gibson.com/en-us/Divisions/Gibson%20Gear/Pickups/How%20They_re%20Made%20%281%29/

Kind regards,

Stijn

The guitar was made in 05, and the problem occurs in the treble selection. Also, sound doesn't come out in the middle position either. If I tweak the volume knob on the treble pickup, i'll get a faint sound, but it cracks up.

I'm not really sure what it is, I don't know too a lot about messing with the pickups, just kinda learning as I go, ya know? It could also be a bad switch, because the neck pickup works fine, and i can get a faint sound out of the bridge.

Pickups rarely fail; they have no moving parts. It's a bad connection, a bad 3-way or a bad pot. First, I would open up the cavity and jiggle wires while the guitar is plugged in to see if that uncovers the problem. Next, I would use a jumper to temporarily bypass components and/or existing wires, one by one. Once the component has been identified, don't immediately assume that the problem is the component itself until the wire connection integrity is confirmed (with a continuity tester).

I think it's obvious that the volume pot is suspect, considering your earlier statement.

I had a very similar problem with my first SG, but the bridge pickup had very low volume. This was after I reinstalled the stock 490T just before I sold it. Turned out to be a short in the pickup's wire. So strange.

Yours sounds like a bad volume pot. The normal way the volume works when the toggle is in the middle position is that the bridge PU's volume controls both PUs (you know this and see where I am going with my logic). Some people, like me, like to have it wired where you have full independent volume control of both PUs.

It's true that Gibson pickups rarely fail (Fender pickups are another story) but being a pickup guy that's usually where I start. Most of the time with the newer Gibsons it's the pickup switch or a bad joint.

Everyone who own an electric guitar should own and understand how to use a multi meter. Takes all the guess work out of wiring issues.

• 2 weeks later...

+1 for either volume pot or toggle switch

time to buy a soldering iron and a multimeter

its not too dificult to learn how to do it there are some fantastic resources online and 1 thing in your favour is that its not active pickups. open the cavity cover on those and its spagetti junction

I have a soldering kit, which is actually my dads. I'm not sure if he has a multimeter or not. He most likely does. When I get some money, I'm going to replace the switch and see what that does. I might end up replacing the pots too.

Archived