Gibson Brands Forums

Low Wattage All Tube Heads

ne14t?

Ok so I want to compile a list of low wattage heads, here are the rules:

- Between 5 and 30 Watts

- ALL TUBE ONLY

- Heads only, no combos

Those are the only rules. Well that and try not to post the same amp multiple times, I wanna get an idea of how many are out there...like Pokemon I am gunna catch them all!

Marshall Haze

Vox Nighttrain

Orange Tiny Terror

Orange Dark Terror

Orange Dual Terror

Blackstar HT-5H

Blackstar HT-Studio

Engl E315

Egnator Rebel

Marshall Class 5

Hughes and Kettner Tube Meister

Hughes and Kettner Puretone

Thats what I come up with off the top of my head. Ones that I have bolded out have been "caught" already, been gassing on the Tube Meister and Puretone ever since looking at them, gotta get a price quote and see how scared I am afterwards, especially with the Tube Meister, I think it has EVERYTHING you could ever need in a lunchbox amp. As mentioned I dont really have a need for a 100W head so instead of collecting a few of them I think I am going to collect four times as many of the little guys, especially since some of the 5W ones can be had for only a couple hundred bucks.

Egnater Tweaker 15

VHT Special 6

VHT Special 6 Ultra

Jet City 20

Blackheart BH5H

BTW, the Marshall Class 5 is not a head, it's a combo amp.

The Marshall Class 5 is available as a head............BTW..

Very happy with the VHT Special 6 and Special 6 Ultra (all the features and more) they are the cleanest/loudest 5 watt heads and the Ultra gets plenty dirty and has a power limiter (varic). You can also play around with power tubes and also get a EL84 adapter for that Vox sound. Handles pedals well http://www.vhtamp.com/home.html The Ultra is my #1 recommendation

Jet City Pico Valve is also a killer, not much clean on this one but plenty of gain and again you can play with tubes. http://www.jetcityamplification.com/

I like the sound of power tube distortion better than preamp and these low watt amps let you get there at a lot less volume. I wish I could fine a really low SPL speaker with very early breakup to go along with this low power amps, Speaker distortion is my 2nd fav dist, easy to get but just too loud. Use to put tears in the speakers get fuzz sound, 12" speakers where all over, people threw them out all the time in those big azz consoles

What's Custom about it?

And how's the Dirty Boy working out for ya'?

The Dirty Boy is just a killer amp, so much thought and precision went into that sucker.... it's really too bad they are only making 25 of them, but they cost too much to make.

The Coyote is being voiced towards U2 (Edge) clean and slightly dirty tones.... I also want it at 65-75 watts... I'll be running an Alex Attenuator with it.

Archived