Gibson Brands Forums

I just bought my ticket...(NOW WITH POST-SHOW UPDATE)

Shnate McDuanus

http://terminal5nyc.com/event/6228

Guess who's seeing SLEEP next Wednesday?

My favorite stoner/doom metal band ever, and I get to see them a week from tomorrow!

I'm SO excited to see these guys, y'all have no idea.

Winter and White Hills are supporting them too. I haven't ever even listened to White Hills, but WINTER is an awesome death-doom band that I have every release from, and I'm a huge fan of their work.

Wednesday's going to be a very fun night.

EDIT: Also, I may be going to see Vital Remains, Hate Eternal, Origin and Abysmal Dawn on July 10th...I'm getting nervous about money, but that show will probably be my last chance at a good concert before I start my Sophomore year, so...

Cant, i got drivers ED at 8pm, you cant miss one class or they **** you in the ***.

Mabye next time bro. [flapper]

Who you going with?

As of now I'm actually going alone, and honestly I've never minded going to concerts by myself. If one of my old high school buddies comes through I'll probably go with him, though.

I'd ask about the Vital Remains/Hate Eternal show, but it's an 18+ show, so...I dunno, will you be eighteen by July 10th?

Shred is jealous!!

[laugh]

I dunno what to tell you, man. I can only hope the sound quality is better than that one time I was dragged along to see the Neville Brothers ( ](*,):rolleyes: ) at the same venue.

As of now I'm actually going alone, and honestly I've never minded going to concerts by myself. If one of my old high school buddies comes through I'll probably go with him, though.

I'd ask about the Vital Remains/Hate Eternal show, but it's an 18+ show, so...I dunno, will you be eighteen by July 10th?

I'm not even 17 yet. [lol]

Going alone isnt so bad, sometimes its best to go alone.

I know this makes me a bit unusual, but since '66 I've never been much into concerts or anything else with big crowds unless I've been paid to go.

Two exceptions were around the summer of '62 when I went to the Boston Public Gardens for a Clancey Bros. concert one night and another night, a Gilbert and Sullivan performance as I recall of HMS Pinafore.

In neither case was it all that crowded, nor were the subway cars.

Until college, no concerts. Even in college most were comparatively easy to attend without much real crowding and were "folkie." The Club 47 Mt. Auburn's big folkie venue actually was small, too, and a fun place to do an evening back in '62. One exception was with a band I played in when we went to the McCoys (Hang on Sloopy was pretty popular) and some "teeny" Brit group I kinda ignored.

m

Hey! I'm going to see them (on the 26th?) at the Wiltern!

I don't really listen to them but my drummer is a metalhead and he showed me some of their stuff and it's awesome. I can't wait. I bet you're going crazy since you're probly a big fan!

Have fun dood.

My girlfriend got to go see them last year, I couldn't go because I had to work. I did, however, see them with Entombed back in 1994, so I win.

*edit* Also, they are pretty awesome. Matt Pike is the man. Have fun, it's going to be a pretty awesome show.

photo.jpg

IT'S TONIGHT.

If I can make myself log on tonight after the show, I'll post. If not, it'll be tomorrow morning.

Not gonna bother with getting pics or vids. I want to enjoy the show fully.

Pics or it didn't happen!

Hmmm... we have a dilemma

Well, the show was absolutely AMAZING.

Sleep delivered spectacularly, playing my favorites ("Sonic Titan," "Dragonaut," "Aquarian," "The Druid," "Inside the Sun") and really gave a lot of show for the price of admission (which was pretty reasonable, considering that it was about three and a half hours of music for $25.) Matt Pike is an excellent guitarist as always, Al Cisneros was terrific on bass, and their new drummer (I forget his name) is just perfect, and honestly they sounded better live than they ever did on any of their albums--not to say that they ever sounded bad, because to my ears they never had a bad track. It's just that, live, they unleash a gargantuan sonic assault that I've never heard topped in my life!

(Gear nerds take note: Matt played a Les Paul through a Blackstar head--it sounded awesome.)

Winter was also amazing, as excellent as I expected and, as the second act of the night it was exactly what I needed to get me pumped for Sleep. The guitarist played through a Mesa Single Rec head (I think) and his tone was balls-to-the-wall punishing. The vocalist's growls were super brutal, and the dynamics between the band members were just really stunning to watch. They were fantastic--larger-than-life, but not in a goofy or overbearing way. Metalheads: if you haven't heard Winter, they are really worth checking out. If you're a fan of Asphyx, Bolt Thrower or early Autopsy, I cannot recommend their (unfortunately short) discography enough.

The big surprise of the night, for me, was the space-rock power trio White Hills. When I read the description of their band as "space-rock," I expected something very shoegaze-y and sparse, which I would've been perfectly fine with and was pumped to hear as a contrast to the other two, arguably heavier acts. What I got instead was a heavy, groovy, and retro-tinged sonic delight. If I could call them anything simply by their sound, I'd call them doom metal, although the tones were less distorted and the lyrics weren't as apocalyptic or pessimistic or traditionally "doomy." These guys are truly excellent, and I recommend them highly as well. They're all ripping, phenomenal musicians and they're surprisingly tight for what seems like a pretty independent group.

That's how it's done, folks. I guess if there's anything more I could add, it's that actually seeing these bands, getting a good look at the guitarists' hands, and seeing that the stuff that they play isn't, technically, out of my reach, gave me a huge boost of confidence. [biggrin]

Sounds like a sick show man!! Glad it was fun!

I'll check out Winter as I am into Bolt Thrower....i just looked online. Was their last album (EP) really in 1994?

Yeah, they went back togther in 2010, it be hard to get your hands on the EP i think, just go for the one record they made.

Sounds like you had fun demon, lucky bastard. [flapper]

I just saw sleep at the wiltern last night. It was the heaviest **** ever. I was seriously trippin balls dude.

Did they have that projector thing going when you saw them? I mostly just watched the band but the stuff on the screen was pretty cool. It was a bunch of pictures of space and astronauts and stuff. At the end they just left the bass feeding back and a picture of Charles Bronson on the screen.

There was a whole lot of dopesmokin goin on in the crowd...

It was an awesome show. They were so psychedelic and so heavy.

I neglected to mention that that **** was so intense I lost my eyesight for a while.

I was just standing there in the middle of the crowd in the middle of sleep's set and my vision turned all black. It was like my eyes were closed but they weren't. I managed to stumble blindly out into the other room and regained my composure and went back for more.

I think I was just passing out from the heat or something but I was aware enough of what was going on to not just drop unconcious haha.

But yeah.. Sleep was so heavy I lost my eyesight for a couple minutes [thumbup]

Archived