Gibson Brands Forums

In What Order Do You Put Your Pedals On Your Board?

Tman5293

I thought this would be a good question to ask. I've always used this order:

Guitar ---> Tuner ---> Wah ---> Distortion/Overdrive ---> Delay/Reverb ----> Modulation ----> Boosters ----> Amp

Also, don't ask me why noise gates, compressors, and EQ's are not in that list. I think they're useless.

So how do you order your pedals?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Same as everyone else

Satan--> me--> SG--> Polytune--> Fuzz Factory--> OD808--> Phase90--> Carbon Copy--> Sole-Mate--> Silvertone 1484--> Jensen Blue Labels--> People unfortunate enough to hear my playing

"Common" Chain

Guitar---->Wah Wah---->Whammy---->OD---->Amp

I will pull the OD pedal and put in distortion for the largest change, otherwise it looks like this a lot.

In the end I want to have my permanent board with ideally no more then 10-12 pedals on it if that, though I can see with the issues I am having on choosing fuzz, distortion and delay I may have multiples types of these pedals.

Um.........how is it that you put the tuner before the guitar and the wah after the amp? msp_confused.gif

I see it as he has one of them planet waves tuners that clips onto the headstock of the guitar and his Wah pedal is in the effects loop of the amp?

Same as everyone else

Satan--> me--> SG--> Polytune--> Fuzz Factory--> OD808--> Phase90--> Carbon Copy--> Sole-Mate--> Silvertone 1484--> Jensen Blue Labels--> People unfortunate enough to hear my playing

That's the way to do it. Satan's at the start of all great music.

For me right now it's just

SG-->sh*tty Marshall practice amp

Some day it will be (I'm nearly sure of this--I've finally got my "gigging" pedal wish-list down)

Guitar-->Vox Wah-->Ibanez TS808 (probably)-->GH Effects NoBrainer-->MXR Analog Chorus (probably)-->an amp that doesn't suck

D00d it's what Sl00sh does, its t00tally br00tulz

msp_lol.gifmsp_lol.gifmsp_lol.gif

Tuner> Wah> Compressor> Fuzz > Distortion > Overdrive > Modulation > Delay> Reverb

Delay and Reverb should always be last in the fx chain or in an fx loop..

Why should the Delay/Reverb be last?

Just like this, minus the silver pedal with the king of hearts on it.

photo-181.jpg

Super Hard On > Fuzz Factory > Torns Peaker > **** Overdrive > Crybaby > Supa Tone > ParaEQ > Cosmichorus > El Capistan.

Not exactly kosher but whatever.,

Also, I'm selling my ParaEQ if anyone wants it.

I just noticed my Cosmichorus isn't in that picture. I guess that pic is kinda old. I'll have to take a new one. Cosmichorus RULES.

msp_lol.gifmsp_lol.gifmsp_lol.gif

Why should the Delay/Reverb be last?

They are time based effects, any time based effect should be the last thing into the front of your amp, or as mentioned before they are ideally placed in the effects loop. Time based effects really dont have any tonal effect to them, so you essentially want to run your guitar through all your dirt pedals (fuzz, distortion, octave or w/e) so it changes the tone before the sound has delay, reverb or flange added to it, running the time based effects at the end of your chain will act similar to that of running them in the effects loop.

You can think of it this way using Fuzz as the example, you dont want to add your fuzz to a delayed signal; however you want to add delay to your fuzzy signal. THERE IS NO SPOOON!

They are time based effects, any time based effect should be the last thing into the front of your amp, or as mentioned before they are ideally placed in the effects loop. Time based effects really dont have any tonal effect to them, so you essentially want to run your guitar through all your dirt pedals (fuzz, distortion, octave or w/e) so it changes the tone before the sound has delay, reverb or flange added to it, running the time based effects at the end of your chain will act similar to that of running them in the effects loop.

You can think of it this way using Fuzz as the example, you dont want to add your fuzz to a delayed signal; however you want to add delay to your fuzzy signal. THERE IS NO SPOOON!

^

there ya go

So the delay should come after the modulation effects as well?

So the delay should come after the modulation effects as well?

Essentially you want it (Time Based effects) at the end so everything in the chain can be delayed if desired, this is not a requirement or rule though, some people will want to add a delay and Phase but may want the phase after the delay, another personal preference thing.

I just snagged this from my post on the noise gates...

Guitar---->Dynamics, Filters, Pitch/Frequency effects---->Noise Gate---->Distortion and Sustain effects---->Amp---->Effects Loop Out---->Modulation and Time Based effects---->Effects Loop In---->Ears

Thats the ideal way to set a chain up for little to no problems, and is how most studios will have it setup. A lot of people will also put in there volume pedal in where I have noise gate listed and some will put it at the front of the chain. A gate is by far not needed this just shows where it would pop up in a chain.

I have been told using the effects loop has something to do with the sound being a level source the affect of modulation and time based effects can be more pronounced then if they were just ran infront of the amp, I have not messed around with this to confirm or deny but I will toss it out on the table so someone else maybe able to comment on it.

Who cares about "the rules". They're a good general guideline I guess but just see what sounds best to you.

Some of the suggestions in here aren't even good rules

but yeah I'd put delay after modulation and reverb after delay but that's just me. Do want you want to do. And go where you're going to. Think for yourself

I put all my effects in my amp's effects loop. My guitar runs straight to the amp with no effects in between. msp_unsure.gif

My set up is like this:

Guitar ---> Amp Input ---> Preamp Out ---> Wah ---> Distortion ---> Delay ---> Power Amp In

Archived