Gibson Brands Forums

Any Love For GNR? The Original GNR, Not Axl's Current Pretend GNR.

Tman5293

Axl's vocals make my ears bleed, but I have no problems with the other areas of the band.

Yea... decent band... bad singer. I had Apatite when it came out but it got old fast. I still like this one though. Axl does a lot less scrotteling on this one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KVYDnQwi3OQ

Are Axl's vocals really that bad? I don't have any problem with them. In fact I've always thought he had a very original sound to his voice. Anyway I really like this one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zRIbf6JqkNc

My Childhood there were kids that fit into 3 types of music Boy bands, GNR and Metallica. Thank god for the last two.

I had an my son in the car the other day (he's 14) I had on ONE by Metallica. I mentioned that as a kid I listened to this song when I was around his age. IM 35 now so its about right. He made the comment as he listens to all the same music from my childhood."dad could you imagine me sitting in the car with my son 20 years from now and listening to music from this generation." and then he quickly added by singing Jason Derulo!! I still laugh at the thought. But its true there isnt a lot of music you could say now days would be Classics like Use your Illusion 1 and 2 appetite for destruction. GNR deserve their place in rock history as the band that saved rock from Bands Like Poison, Ugly Kid Joe, ballad bands like Bon Jovi and Extreme.

Personal opinion

I always thought them to be overated...part of that overblown stadium rock thing from the 80's and 90's

Slash is OK IMO but unworthy of the adolescent hero worship heaped upon him....

V

:-({|=

I agree about Slash. IMO he's not as good as all the dumb little kids say he is.

I agree about Slash. IMO he's not as good as all the dumb little kids say he is.

Man If I could play what he plays or sell as many albums I'd be a happy/rich man. I admit some of the guitar god status that he gets is a bit much. But the dude is good at what he does no doubt.

Ok, I got a minus, probably my first, I'm truly sorry if I legitimately offended anyone, my comment was said to lighten the mood not spread any hate. my apoligies. It wasn't directed at anyone.

Fixed.

You guys don't know nothing. AFD is one of the greatest rock albums of all time. Right up there with Back In Black and Electric Warrior. Even with the yawn inducing drum parts of Adler, the groove and style of the original Gn'R is off the chart. Plus it is hard to match the chemistry and songwriting juggernaut that Slash and Izzy were.

I like Lies, but a lot of UYI 1 and 2 I just couldn't get into. Axl ruined the records with too much keyboard orchestration. Nothing wrong with that unless you are a two guitars, bass, and drums band. It muddies the waters.

You guys don't know nothing. AFD is one of the greatest rock albums of all time. Right up there with Back In Black and Electric Warrior. Even with the yawn inducing drum parts of Adler, the groove and style of the original Gn'R is off the chart. Plus it is hard to match the chemistry and songwriting juggernaut that Slash and Izzy were.

I like Lies, but a lot of UYI 1 and 2 I just couldn't get into. Axl ruined the records with too much keyboard orchestration. Nothing wrong with that unless you are a two guitars, bass, and drums band. It muddies the waters.

The playing was tight but I still can't stand Axl's voice.

I was a huge GNR fan back in the 80's and 90's. Slash was and still is a personal favorite of mine.

No he may not be playing anything mind blowing on the level of Steve Vai or John Petrucci or Buckethead; but he has a very unique sound that is instantly recognizable. I would dare to say he's comparable to Keith Richards or Jimmy Page - a unique style and sound that is instantly recognizable but not necessarily the best technical player. His playing is just full of attitude much like Page and Richards

Axle, to me was a good singer up to the recording of the Use Your Illusions albums; but I don't feel he took good care of his voice. He burned out his vocal cords. Ever hear any of the live stuff from after the first year of touring behind UYI 1 & 2? Sounds like someone stuffed a cheese grater down his throat.

When he tried to make his big comeback with this new group he pawns off as GNR, there is a night and day difference between his voice during the classic era and now. I can't even stand his voice on Chinese Democracy while I love his voice on recordings of the early 90's and back. And while I like Bumblefoot and I like Buckethead and don't dispute that he has surrounded himself with some of the best in the business for a band, it's NOT GNR.

Archived