Gibson Brands Forums

New Horse

Lotus

So in search of a Donovan guitar I now own this this gorgeous 1964 J45 and it sounds so lovely.

It has a real warm balanced tone and it's in wonderful condition.

I don't like the sound of new strings but I want to try some La Bella Silk & Steels for Ive been told thats what Don used to use in his early days.

Now unfortunatly the neck is slightly too small for me to play it comfortably

and I'm might have to sell if I can't get used to it.

Someone offered me around $3300 for it or I could turn to the darkside and trade it for an 1969 Guild M20 or 1951 Martin 00-17.

Not sure yet but as long as I have this one I'm fully enjoying it [biggrin]

post-12707-025890600 1312408335_thumb.jpg

post-12707-003051800 1312408803_thumb.jpg

Purty.....congratulations

So in search of a Donovan guitar I now own this this gorgeous 1964 J45 and it sounds so lovely.

It has a real warm balanced tone and it's in wonderful condition.

I don't like the sound of new strings but I want to try some La Bella Silk & Steels for Ive been told thats what Don used to use in his early days.

Now unfortunatly the neck is slightly too small for me to play it comfortably

and I'm might have to sell if I can't get used to it.

Someone offered me around $3300 for it or I could turn to the darkside and trade it for an 1969 Guild M20 or 1951 Martin 00-17.

Not sure yet but as long as I have this one I'm fully enjoying it [biggrin]

post-12707-025890600 1312408335_thumb.jpg

post-12707-003051800 1312408803_thumb.jpg

.... Now unfortunatly the neck is slightly too small for me to play it comfortably

and I'm might have to sell if I can't get used to it. ....

Is it the neck width or depth?

If it's the width, have you thought about trying a bit more string spacing with a new nut? Sometimes a very small change can make a big difference.

Just a thought.

It's a beautiful guitar. B)

Was this the one that was advertised on Elderly's site a little while ago? (I was mighty tempted by that one)

I'm sorry, I don't know about this Elderly's site.

Is it the neck width or depth?

If it's the width, have you thought about trying a bit more string spacing with a new nut? Sometimes a very small change can make a big difference.

Just a thought.

It's a beautiful guitar. B)

It's the width yes. But the new nut must be the same size or is it possible to put on any size nut? This sounds like a good idea. Thanks BigKahune !!

First of all hail for the new find. Looks just right. Second, , , what a shame you experience problems with the nut. I know what you're talking about as I have 2 narrows here. One of them (the modified '66 C&W) got a new nut as BKahune talks about and it helped some. If you really like the guitar, you should give that possibility a go. It's almost absurd to finally find a dream and then let it pass before learning how it unfolds. And you say you dig the sound. Better fight a bit for it Lotus.

Speaking of sound you still have to mark that Donovans magic 45 had the ceramic saddle – and therefor the crystal voice. If you decide to keep the guitar – which I hope – next step would be to try out saddles in porcelain and f.x. tusq (as I see it anyway). It would be interesting to get deeper into the instrument and ideal experiments for rainy autumn days.

Enjoy this shot from the first-June Sunshine Superman concert. Fly Translove Airways – It'll get you there in time. . . .

BabaBarabajagal.jpg

.... It's the width yes. But the new nut must be the same size or is it possible to put on any size nut? This sounds like a good idea.

I was thinking thinking it was possible the tighter string spacing on a narrower nut might be part of your trouble - I've got the chunky finger thing and prefer wider string spacing. Some players adjust the string spacing to their liking - widening the spacing evenly, or wider on the low end, or wider on the high end - lots of ways to adjust the string spacing.

Depending how much fretboard space is sitting outside the low E and high E, you can space the nut slots wider. When finished with the new nut installation, the neck of course is the same width, but the distance between each string is wider. You can also grade the spacing - like making the 3 low end string spacing wider, but leaving the 3 high end strings with the same spacing, or vice versa. Also, you can try the nut without having it glued in - the string pressure will hold it in - this allows for a second or third try if you feel the spacing needs tweaking. And save the original nut - if it doesn't work out, you can reinstall it if you like and sell the guitar.

In 1960 Gibson went to that low action, fast playing neck or whatever they called it. I also find them a bit on the thin side. But I can pretty much play anything - I just prefer a meatier neck.

I take it you have forgiven Donovan for "Atlantis."

BigK

Thanks for making me aware of the possibilities. I hadn't thought about it and Ill ask my guitar guy what can be done with it.

I won't give in without a fight.

Em7

That photo shows a great atmosphere and I bet it must have been a wonderfull experience.

I read you said at one moment Mr. Jimmy Page showed up :o Man.. I still kick myself in the face for not going...aaargh...

Anyway Ill keep y'all posted on what happends with the horse.

Archived