Gibson Brands Forums

Roy Orbison - Crying

Searcy

Searcy...

We've had similar threads in the past. Orbison was an incredible talent with a rather tragic personal life, and a life that ended far too soon.

It wasn't just the singing, either. His songwriting broke all the conventions, and not just of his time but virtually of all popular music styles. The voice could literally be operatic.

And the funny thing is that as I recall, Sam Phillips initially figured he wasn't much of a singer, but liked him as a guitar player although we see little fancier pickin' from him.

We're also told that the Beatles were in awe of that "just stand up, barely part the lips and then perfectly combine lyric and voice."

I can tell you I've been in awe of the voice even back in the days when the lyrics sometimes hit too closely to home.

I'd strongly recommend the young guys look up Roy on Youtube and so some studying of both lyric and stage presence.

Another one that's almost kinda funny I'd recommend be watched is anything with Bea Wain for similar reasons, both when she was the young "bird" with Larry Clinton and then some of the old-folks reminiscence tv productions. A similar stage presence.

m

Brun...

Yeah, Orbison could make it work where many cannot - but...

I think a lot has to do with posture including the guitar and the phrasing/dynamics of how he uses his voice. Most of us will never match his range or vocal quality, nor have some equivalent, but I think we all can learn from how they are used as tools for that stage presence.

I also think the subtle movements of the guitar help too.

It's kinda the same thing going on that BB does with his voice and guitar even if he's sitting down. The phrasing thread to me is almost the same as the direction this one is going. There's a time for hard bashing, but...

We tended to wear an iron cross in my first "big" rock band. I don't think it helped much. <grin>

m

MY last band used to do some Roy Orbison covers and I have won a few karaoke contests by singing Crying,it certainly strains the old pipes to the fullest.I like the version he did with k.d. Lang,their voices blended well together.

I remember a quote from Bruce Springsteen when he was asked how he approached making his album Born To Run.

He said he wanted to look like Elvis, write songs like Dylan and sing em like Roy Orbison.

here's another great one.

"Roy Orbison was the only act that The Beatles didn't want to follow." -Ringo Starr

here's another great one.

"Roy Orbison was the only act that The Beatles didn't want to follow." -Ringo Starr

Kind of says it all, doesn't it? Also loved him in the Traveling Wilbury's. He was just a rare talent who made it look so easy.

Kind of says it all, doesn't it? Also loved him in the Traveling Wilbury's. He was just a rare talent who made it look so easy.

Here's part of the Wilbury's documentary that came with the reissue box set. It's great info on how the band began and if you watch to the 10 minute mark there's a funny bit on Roy singing a phrase in the song Dirty World. Throughout the vid you can feel the love and admiration the had for Roy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bhKEclbahxo&feature=player_detailpage

I think the "Crying" video is a cut from Roy Orbison and Friends, A Black and White Night video.

I love this video. Everyone on that gig was 'somebody'. Check out the personnel list:

* Roy Orbison: lead vocals, guitar, harmonica

* Glen D. Hardin: piano

* James Burton: lead guitar

* Jerry Scheff: upright bass

* Ronnie Tutt: drums

* Jackson Browne: backing vocals

* T Bone Burnett: acoustic guitar; musical director

* Elvis Costello: acoustic guitar, electric organ, harmonica

* k.d. lang: backing vocals

* Bonnie Raitt: backing vocals

* J. D. Souther: backing vocals; acoustic guitar; vocal arrangements

* Steven Soles: backing vocals

* Bruce Springsteen: guitar, vocals

* Tom Waits: electric organ, acoustic guitar

* Jennifer Warnes: backing vocals

* Alex Acuña: percussion

* Michael Utley: keyboard

Every time the camera cuts to "the Boss", Springsteen, his face looks like he is thinking, "I'm playing with Orbison... I'm playing back-up to *****ing Orbison!" [woot]

I LOVE this video. [love]

Did I say i LOVE this video? [lol]

Archived