Gibson Brands Forums

What ever happened to great instrumental's?

jaxson50

Saturn's post about lead guitar phrasing got me to thinking about great solos, which lead me to ponder, what ever happened to great instrumentals?

Remember when there would be several instrumentals released and promoted on radio every year and at least one big instrumental hit yearly?

No more....

Why did we stop doing that?

Saturn's post about lead guitar phrasing got me to thinking about great solos, which lead me to ponder, what ever happened to great instrumentals?

Remember when there would be several instrumentals released and promoted on radio every year and at least one big instrumental hit yearly?

No more....

Why did we stop doing that?

Funnily enough, I just put a clip of an instrumental by Megadeth as an example for discussion on that very thread. I really like instrumental tracks. Do you have any faves?

Alan

I'm glad that someone thought of Jessica by the Allman Bros. that was a real classic.It's a pity that so much of what is classed as music these days is so devoid of meaningful lyrics it may as well be instrumental anyway.

Well, the OP was asking why there aren't any new intrumentals getting airplay these days. At least that's how I read it :-k

I think some of it has to do with "image" now days. Much of what gets popular now, seems to have the appearance of coming "from the street" or has to have some kind of edgy vibe to it. It's hard for me to put into words, but I just don't think music, for the sake of music, (which is kinda what instrumentals are), hold much appeal for the masses these days. I'm sure there's some great new instrumental music being made if you know where to look. It just isn't getting airplay right now.

But things go in cycles, so I wouldn't be surprised if a new wave of instrumental music comes along and gains popularity. That is, is civilization as we know it doesn't collapse first. [scared]

As to why we don't see as many, I'm not very sure. That's not to say there aren't any of course, but there is a considerable lack. Some of Jeff Beck's more recent music (2000s) has had a load of instrumentals, but they are much heavier than say Blue Monk. It takes a lot of digging, just like a lot of things do nowadays.

One of the great alltime instrumentals on my list

I think the current lack may be largely due to a more "show" environment for more accepted musical styles and "groups." E.g., one must put on a show with all that's there.

Yeah, I think Jessica may be one of the last big instrumentals. Sad.

OTOH, reading some of what younger pickers say, there's obviously a place for instrumental music, it just hasn't returned to the mass market.

m

I think the last big purely instrumental was The Theme from Star Wars...other movie theme songs that were hits were The Baby Elephant Walk. The brief time that Rag Time enjoyed rediscovery in the early 70's was because a movie producer used Scott Joplin's music as a score. We just don't have guys like Gershwin, Brubeck and Mancini around anymore.

These were along with others like Rogers and Hammerstein, Bernstein, Copeland and Hoagie Carmichael had the rare ability to write scores that generations of music lovers all over the world can connect with regardless of age.

Maybe there are great writers & arrangers but they just do not get the exposure they once enjoyed..

Archived