Gibson Brands Forums

Anyone know of a cool & loud one-knob amp?

Dub-T-123

I was reading something the other day that got me thinking.. I never touch the tone controls on my amp. I just leave it set for your regular not too bright not too bassy sound. I never touch the volume knob that's not the master volume. I just leave it clean and turn up the master volume. I rarely use the tremolo.. I DO use the reverb, but I really only like either the best (unobtanium) spring reverb ever like on an old twin or whatever or the reverb of a good digital pedal.

So here's what I'm getting at.. I want an amp with one volume knob and that's it. The only single-knob amps I know of are like the little fender champs and those are kinda cool I guess but I want something loud and amazing sounding. Anyone know of anything like that?

I'm kinda halfway thinking about just building myself a simple tube amp with a fender style circuit and just one knob for volume. I guess I'd have to set the "tone" fixed how I like it with a resistor instead of a pot.

Anyone else want an amp like that or am I like the only person that just doesn't even want a tone knob?

Sometimes i like the tone knob and sometimes i dont.

Heres one good one knob amp that is killer for the price.

http://www.epiphone.com/default.asp?ProductID=269&CollectionID=13

Thanks but I dunno those don't really do it for me. I'm looking for something about as loud as my ac30.

I'm just imagining an amp with one knob that can be reasonably clean at band volumes but can also be turned up all the way for some crunch without destroying everything.

Fred I'll have to check that out but I have an ac30 that I'm happy with. Kinda looking for more of a Fender thing. Maybe I should just find a Princeton reverb and mod it or something.

Thanks but I dunno those don't really do it for me. I'm looking for something about as loud as my ac30.

I'm just imagining an amp with one knob that can be reasonably clean at band volumes but can also be turned up all the way for some crunch without destroying everything.

Fred I'll have to check that out but I have an ac30 that I'm happy with. Kinda looking for more of a Fender thing. Maybe I should just find a Princeton reverb and mod it or something.

Or just get an amp and leave the eq section alone [flapper]

That's the thing I already just leave the eq setion alone and the eq just frustrates me. I just wanb an amp that doesn't even have one but sounds right without it.

It's kinda like how if you bypass the tone control on a big muff you get that glorious sound where all the frequencies are just let through and it just sounds right and makes you wonder why the tone control is even there. I'm imagining that, but on an amp, and maybe slightly fine-tuned.

That's the thing I already just leave the eq setion alone and the eq just frustrates me. I just wanb an amp that doesn't even have one but sounds right without it.

It's kinda like how if you bypass the tone control on a big muff you get that glorious sound where all the frequencies are just let through and it just sounds right and makes you wonder why the tone control is even there. I'm imagining that, but on an amp, and maybe slightly fine-tuned.

I hear you. Ummm... I know Orange Amps, some of the older models, or ones based off older models, have a clean channel that is only a volume.

Quite honestly, I think you would have to go custom on that amp

I know exactly what you mean, the Baby Thundaa with the tone bypass thing is saaaaaweeeeeeet!

So far I think the Princeton Reverb is the closest thing to the sound I want. I kinda just want to make one and omit the tone and reverb parts from the circuit. I'm pretty confident in my soldering and I can read a schematic but I don't know anything about building amps and I don't really want to spend a lot of money on parts. I know there are kits, but those seem overpriced for the parts you're getting.

I wouldn't care what it looks like as long as it sounds completely rad.

Haha I know what you mean but that's half the reason I want a simple amp. I keep my amp the same all the time and do the tweaking on my pedals.

But the way I'm imagining it this amp would just be turned up all the way most of the time for that raunchy crunchy sound that's not really that distorted. I would pretty much just rawk out on it.

The early Fender Champs only had a volume control.

I've read that Jeff Beck used a Champ on his last album for the majority of the songs.

I build an amp that has 1 vol and 1 tone. I like and use the tone control often as I switch guitars. Tele's are brighter sounding so I'll turn it towards less treble (around 2-3) but when I use a guitar with humbuckers I'll add a little treble (around 4-5).

Interesting post....

This has echoes of the 'straight through' settings favoured by some guitarists for the purest signal

The Fender Esquire and some other 'single knob' guitars are cases in point

To some ears the result may be too trebly....

V

:-({|=

I really don't like the current one knob champs. My friend let me borrow his and it sounded alright with pedals but really lame by itself. It's not that it didn't have enough gain, I just didn't like the way it sounded.

Actually I'm cool with a tone knob I just hate the tone controls on my ac30. It has the controls for treble and bass where when you turn them up you lose mids. So you turn the treble and bass up to where they sound good and you have no mids. I don't know if I just suck at using them but I can't stand them. The amp sounds really good but those controls really frustrate me. I'd rather have one tone control or none.

I really want to score a silverface Princeton Reverb. What would be a good price for one?

Have you checked out Traynor's recent offerings? The IronHorse is the 40 watt offering and the DarkHorse is the 15 Watt offering. Yes, there is more than one knob; but they have a switch that allows you to change the voicing by moving the volume in relation to the tone controls (Brit/USA) as well as bypassing the tone stack completely (Pure).

There area also matched cabs for these if you are interested.

http://traynoramps.com/products.asp?id=433&cat=60&type=1

http://traynoramps.com/products.asp?id=424&cat=60&type=1

I really don't like the current one knob champs. My friend let me borrow his and it sounded alright with pedals but really lame by itself. It's not that it didn't have enough gain, I just didn't like the way it sounded.

Actually I'm cool with a tone knob I just hate the tone controls on my ac30. It has the controls for treble and bass where when you turn them up you lose mids. So you turn the treble and bass up to where they sound good and you have no mids. I don't know if I just suck at using them but I can't stand them. The amp sounds really good but those controls really frustrate me. I'd rather have one tone control or none.

I really want to score a silverface Princeton Reverb. What would be a good price for one?

I've heard that the newer champs can sound decent when connected to a bigger speaker.

If you are interested in building an amp then I say go for it. It's a fun and addictive hobby. It's more fun than building effect pedals, at least I think so.

Here is the amp I build: Apostle Tone Amplification

I've heard that the newer champs can sound decent when connected to a bigger speaker.

I think they do, but I modded mine just a little. I put a switch on R19 so I could turn the tone stack on or off. There's quite a bit of difference with it off. I also replaced the cheapo tubes it came with. I'm happy with it.

Champion%20600.jpeg

you could build a Marshall 18W clone, like this Lite IIb layout from Brown Note:

BN_LITE2B_LAYOUT_BN_TRANS_FINAL_v1.1.jpg

That looks freakin awesome. The 18w Marshall is pretty much the coolest Marshall IMO.

How much do you think it would cost all together including the chassis but not a cab or anything?

Archived