Gibson Brands Forums

Books!

DAS44

Strange as this may sound, for fiction I'm reading an odd 1980s book series about the "seventh carrier." The Chinese put up a laser satellite system with "star wars" technology that makes jets and rockets targets for destruction. The rest is a WWII sort of saga set in the 1980s with the bad guy being... A Libyan dictator named Khadafi.

Then a bit of rereading a couple bits of Aristotle for discussion on another forum and a treatise on the cyclical nature of "western" recessions and "depression" and how they have been international in nature for at least the past 160 years or so, affecting North America as well as the Europeans.

Reading Hemingway was a long time ago for me.

For what it's worth, the joke that's supposedly true comes from the era in which Hemingway was a war correspondent. It apparently seemed to him that everything the famed war correspondent Ernie Pyle wrote got printed; Hemingway's material was much less used. Supposedly he send one dispatch signed, "Ernie Hemorrhoid, the poor man's Pyle."

m

I'm currently rereading The Hobbit for the umpteenth time, as well as Fingerprints of the Gods by Graham Hancock. The latter is the book which sparked the idea for the Stargate franchise.

martin-george-r-r-dance-with-dragons.jpg?w=240&h=365

I'm waiting for paperback! Rarely do I get anxious enough to buy a hardcover :(. Great series, though I find each book lacks a denouement in a form I can conclusively identify because there are so many different plots going on within one book. 'cause of that I feel like it should be one giant book instead of five smaller ones! Love them though.

I'm not ashamed to admit that I don't enjoy reading fiction and don't read a lot of books (and my wife is director of libraries in our county). I play guitar in my spare time. The last book I read last Spring was Miles, Miles Davis' autobiography, and I couldn't put it down.

I am in the process of reading and playing all of the exercises in Levine's The Jazz Theory Book. This could take at least a year.

I'm not ashamed to admit that I don't enjoy reading fiction, and I don't read a lot of books (and my wife is director of libraries in our county). I play guitar in my spare time. The last book I read last Spring was Miles, Miles Davis' autobiography, and I couldn't put it down.

I am in the process of reading and playing all of the exercises in Levine's The Jazz Theory Book. This could take at least a year.

I think I'll check out the Miles Davis auto...

Have you tried the Abersold jazz theory and play-alongs?

V

:-({|=

Thriller in the vein of 24, if you like Jack Bauer style stories.

Excellent book you have there James. I highly recommend this book and I'm looking forward to the follow up... although I don't have any money right now to buy it.

Does anybody here take a view on the e-book commercial pressure we are being subject to?

How healthy is it to be reading for long periods on an electronic screen...as well as all the general internet PC time?

Just a spontaneous interjection....if you will....

V

Does anybody here take a view on the e-book commercial pressure we are being subject to?

How healthy is it to be reading for long periods on an electronic screen...as well as all the general internet PC time?

Just a spontaneous interjection....if you will....

V

The ebook readers that use e-paper displays are actually very comfortable to read on. You almost can't even tell it's not paper... They're not even backlit. If you haven't seen one up close, go have a look sometime. The technology is fascinating.

I do have a nook, and I like the fact that you can check out and download books from the library. That being said, I still prefer regular old paper books. I like holding the book, flipping through the pages etc. I also don't crap my pants when I drop a paper book.

The thing I don't like about the ebook trend is that you don't actually own anything. I enjoy having a physical book collection and everything that goes along with it. What happens when Amazon peters out one day, or they decide to change formats? I'd rather own something tangible when it comes to books. Another thing that aggravates me is that they don't really cut you much of a price break on the ebook version. One would think they could pass along a little bit of the savings from not having to print/distribute physical media.

So basically, I think they are convenient for cheap books that you'll never read again. If it's a book you want to keep, re-read and cherish, buy a hardcopy.

Jantha...

I think you just hit the major weakness to the otherwise great opportunities afforded by the Internet: It ain't gonna last as we know it.

I can't tell you how many sources over the past 15 years I've been on the Internet that have disappeared. That's especially true of books in terms of folks on this forum, but I've even seen it on Youtube, etc. Those of us who use photo upload sites are in a horrid position when/if the "free" is discovered not to be, or worse, that the "owner" no longer owns them at all. Worst of all is if/when the site disappears as such.

That's why I have a T-Byte or two of backup so even my backup files are backed up.

Another frightening thing is access to programs that will disclose the information we store. How does one get even to a text file backup if/when the only computer access is through some sort of terminal to a cloud and it won't/can't access your media?

Meanwhile glass plate photos that are protected at all are still marvelous, and ditto books.

m

Archived