Gibson Brands Forums

"Pre-gig" jitters

larryp58

Got a gig tonight out of town and another tomorrow night. I still get the "jitters" even after all these years of playing. At least one gig a week. Not so much nerves or stage-fright, I guess it's just extra adrenaline from being anxious. For me, it just builds and builds until I hit the first chord! Then it's fine and I'm gettin' busy with my Gibby! Anyone else have this kinda rush?

Got a gig tonight out of town and another tomorrow night. I still get the "jitters" even after all these years of playing. At least one gig a week. Not so much nerves or stage-fright, I guess it's just extra adrenaline from being anxious. For me, it just builds and builds until I hit the first chord! Then it's fine and I'm gettin' busy with my Gibby! Anyone else have this kinda rush?

Yup, every time. Feel like a high-diver who's scared of heights--falling is the easy part, but it's the climb up that's terrifying.[scared]

For me, the tension breaks when I first spot that one person who's listening, tuned in. Then I know why I'm there, and everything comes together.

Making live music is magical, ain't it?O:)

For me, the tension breaks when I first spot that one person who's listening, tuned in. Then I know why I'm there, and everything comes together.

Making live music is magical, ain't it?O:)

You've hit the nail on the head. I haven't gigged in years, but I do a lot of public speaking to large crowds, and still get that same feeling. I always try to focus on a couple of people sitting near the front, and just talk like I'm talking only to them.

Same thing when I used to gig. I'd pick out a pretty girl, and sing to her. That worked pretty well in college, too!

Oh for sure, and be grateful you still get the butterflies Larry! If it got to the point where you didn't feel the nerves and just went through the motion then it will be time to hang up the boots.

I love the morning of a gig and get that nervous anticipation from the morning, it gives me a rush, a smile on my face as I give my wife a kiss and announce gig day!

Then I love it on the day when the sun goes down, and I say to myself, the vampires are about to come out ... And I want to be part of it.

Love gig nite nerves !

I have to keep busy from the morning if i have a gig that night, if not I get terrible nerves if I have to wait around. I always try and find something to do, usually sorting the rig out, un-tangling chords etc [biggrin]

Untangling cords, or untangling chords? I have trouble with both. :rolleyes:

My day job is flying.

Its about venturing into the "unknown".

Even when you know what you are doing and you've done it a thousand times ...THAT time is unique and "it" is this exact unknown quality that heightens the senses.

Larry you called it a rush and it is indeed all that. I get it at every Take off and at every GIG . Its what keeps us coming back for more.

I still get it. I think we're all in "good company." Cash said he couldn't stop pacing before going on stage. Dylan says he's almost always figiting with something before a show. Mick Jagger said there are always nerves until you get into that first song.......Talk about nerves, read about Jagger and The Stones the night they followed Jerry Lee Lewis on national TV. Jagger says after seeing "The Killer" perform that they almost terrified to follow after him....BUT, they did it with an incredible performance. Besides, I imagine alot of people think that of Jerry Lee Lewis......Can't remember who at the moment, but I know there are 3-4 huge stars who used to throw-up before going out on stage........We are not alone.

When I played in a band in the 1970s I used to get really nervous. I speak at meetings nowadays and I used to get really nervous before whatever lecture I was giving and I always had to plan an out: where is the bathroom etc. That has eased quite a bit over the last 15 years and I think it is because I've done it enough that I have more confidence.

Now that I am playing guitar again, I'm not that nervous before a gig. In fact just the opposite, it's because I so look forward to playing as a way of relaxing of sorts. It helps that I am not the front person too. I'm just the guitar player!

Like Ringo once got credit for saying" I like to play the drums because it's a nice place to be when they start throwing things".

Archived