Gibson Brands Forums

How's about this

DAS44

Ella is very special. There are, by the way, some of her vids with jazz guitarist Joe Pass on Youtube too. She was older and on occasion not up to her own standard, but that phrasing...

"I can't get started" gave rise to a lotta jazz stuff. It started in the mid 1930s with Bunny Berigan. He was a true jazz great and frankly I think some of his concepts - borrowed freely or stolen from Louis Armstrong depending on your perspective - offer some ideas to lead guitar players of any style. Berigan's alcohol problems killed him at 33. Sound familiar?

Anyway, here's the original that's quite a bit different from Ella's.

m

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x0Uqdtzztmg

Rocketman...

Buffalo as in NY?

My memories are a bit different. I'd be on a bus hauling guitar and banjo half way across the country from college to my folks place in Cambridge, Mass., and it got awfully tired but you really couldn't sleep. So when it was 18 drinking age in NY, I'd get two shots of Haig and Haig five star in a saloon across the street from the bus station. Slept like a baby the rest of the ride whether it was headed to Boston or Chi...

Ah, but it was the early 1960s...

m

Rocketman...

Buffalo as in NY?

My memories are a bit different. I'd be on a bus hauling guitar and banjo half way across the country from college to my folks place in Cambridge, Mass., and it got awfully tired but you really couldn't sleep. So when it was 18 drinking age in NY, I'd get two shots of Haig and Haig five star in a saloon across the street from the bus station. Slept like a baby the rest of the ride whether it was headed to Boston or Chi...

Ah, but it was the early 1960s...

m

Yep Buffalo, NY. That's where I grew up. Got called up one night when I was 16 to fill in for a jazz combo on piano. I was very nervous at the club with all these great old timers. But they made me feel at ease. I think I did a decent job.

Rocketman...

Yeah, being accepted by the old timers, whether they're skilled and talented or just love playing, makes most of us wish to do the same with younger players, eh?

It's a feel good thing, and perhaps kinda special among musicians.

m

Got called up one night when I was 16 to fill in for a jazz combo on piano. I was very nervous at the club with all these great old timers.

At some point when I wasn't paying attention I became one of the "old timers".

Speaking of Ella, our big band has two Ella charts up for our "girl singer" on our upcoming concert series in October. One is "As Long As I Live", the Harold Arlen/Ted Koehler song, and the other is the scat version of "Flying Home". Both are great charts, and the band even applauded for our singer after the first time we ran through the scat chart in rehearsal.

She's one of the greatest.

This woman had a great singing voice.

This sultry track is from the CD "The Very Best of Julie London" (1991). It was originally recorded for the 1957 LP "Make Love to Me". Written by Russell Garcia and Ned Cronk. Published by Londontown Music Incorporated (ASCAP)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bp8N9Ses1Ow

Cali...

Yupper to Julie London for steamy, misty, foggy torch stuff.

The best to me is "Cry me a River." In fact, that's one piece in ways where I prefer Julie to Ella's version. Another performer who's not known for jazz style who who did a five-star performance of the same piece with a similar arrangement as Julie's is Joan Baez. Julie's version was a misty sax, Joan's a clarinet. All 3 ladies' version's I've heard included some great jazz guitar backing.

London herself was a bit critical of the voice that won her a cupla years as Billboard's top female vocalist in the 50s, but that misty saxaphone-sorta thing worked well with a mike. Ella's voice worked with or without a mike - ditto Baez. But I'll wager Baez wouldn't mind at all seeing Ella's name above hers...

m

Milod,

Remember Emergency, the weekly paramedic and doctor show back during the '70s?

It stared two great musicians. Julie with her voice and Bobby Troup.

My parents had a few of Julie's albums in their collection, so growing up I had that stuff available to listen too.

She sure could sing. A real sultry voice and sexy woman to boot.

Yupper I remember the tv series.

I get the impression that Julie considered herself more an actress until she met Bobby... the two of them appear to have had a good partnership both in music and in acting.

You could make a case, I guess, that she was more a song stylist than "singer" in the sense that Ella was.

I may be wrong, but I think we'll never have such talents so well known as they were during these ladies' era. As much talent, probably; as well known? I doubt it. There's just too much splintering of audience in comparison nowadays.

m

Archived