Gibson Brands Forums

Im peeved

deepblue

All the rage these days are "Classic Rock" radio stations. Well again tonight Q107 in Toronto dropped the ball and proved again its all about money. I shouldnt blame just them because most stations butcher this masterpiece.

The Beatles, "A day in the life"

This is the song that made jaws drop in 1967. This is the song that was studied over and over again, and was rated as one of the greatest pop songs of all time. To this day I still tear up when I hear the 3 Beatles ( plus Mal Evans ) crash down that E major chord in total synchronicity.

And this is the point where these classic rock stations fail to impress me....in fact they piss me off.

That song is a masterpiece in many ways. One that things that makes that song so deep...so affective is that E chord slowly fading away after the crescendo. Its over 40 seconds on the album, and I understand that to most it would be dead air, but these so called classic stations either cut it off, go to commercial or start another song right away. You lose the mood, you feel like something is missing. Would another 10 seconds or so make a difference?

These stations should be loyal to bands like the Beatles. Lets face it guys, like the Beatles or hate them, they changed everything and they and their music should be respected.

If I were a DJ youd get the whole bloody 42 seconds!

I feel better now! lol

I haven't listened to the radio in years. What's the point? Same songs (sometimes butchered) over and over again with the addition of ads and chatter. Satellite radio (Sirius) and the ipod are the only things I listen to anymore. Maybe if I lived is a market where there were cool radio stations (do those still exist?).

Sirius is the way to go.

Gibson should team up with Sirius to create a Gibson/guitar station. That would be cool.

102.9 The Buzz when you are in Nashville. Good rock station. Restored my faith :-k.

(Or do what I did and develop a taste for country music...)

I can't listen to Q107...too much hippy crap.

Their choice in music drives me nuts, but I listen to Edge 102 every morning on my way to work because the morning show is absolutely hilarious! Dean Blundell is the meanest guy I've heard on the radio. O:)

Other than that morning show, it's all CDs for me. I'm on a Megadeth craze right now.

They're all I've been listening to in my car for at least a month.

it's all CDs for me. I'm on a Megadeth craze right now.

They're all I've been listening to in my car for at least a month.

+1 on CD's. I am listening to a blues comp CD I made for the wife of Johnny Lang and SRV. mm-mm-good!

but these so called classic stations either cut it off' date=' go to commercial or start another song right away.[/quote']

This has a very simple explanation, it's the wonderful world of 21st century technology that everyone thinks is so f***ing great. The DJ's no longer have control of the faders. The music you hear on radio stations is all mouse clicked from a computer screen, nobody plays records or even CD's anymore, it's all dumped on a harddrive. In fact, alot of what you hear is pre-programed to the point that the DJ is really at home having dinner with his family while his show is being aired "live".

To the point in question, the songs are programed into the computer to start and stop at a specific time. If the guy dumping them into the computer (program director) decides that a 42 second fadeout on an "E" chord is too much, with the click of a mouse he makes it the standard 7 seconds. If songs run into each other like on Dark Side Of The Moon, he separates them. There is little the DJ can do about this except bring in his own CD's to play, and hope the CD player in the studio still works. It's all Corporate Rock, the guys in the suits make the calls, eveyone else is just trying to keep their jobs.

Don't blame it on the DJ's, there's not a thing they can do about it, and if you ask them (and I have), they are as frustrated about it is we are.

Sirius is the way to go.

Gibson should team up with Sirius to create a Gibson/guitar station. That would be cool.

Well, it ain't Sirius (though I got XM), we have been toying around with the idea of starting an Internet radio station for Gibson. We'll see what happens. The rights holders have sure made that expensive though.

Well' date=' it ain't Sirius (though I got XM), we have been toying around with the idea of starting an Internet radio station for Gibson. We'll see what happens. The rights holders have sure made that expensive though.[/quote']

That would be very cool but how would it work? Only songs played on Gibson's? Only artists endorsed by Gibson? What would be the criteria for the music played on the Gibson Station be?

This has a very simple explanation' date=' it's the wonderful world of 21st century technology that everyone thinks is so f***ing great. The DJ's no longer have control of the faders. The music you hear on radio stations is all mouse clicked from a computer screen, nobody plays records or even CD's anymore, it's all dumped on a harddrive. In fact, alot of what you hear is pre-programed to the point that the DJ is really at home having dinner with his family while his show is being aired "live".

To the point in question, the songs are programed into the computer to start and stop at a specific time. If the guy dumping them into the computer (program director) decides that a 42 second fadeout on an "E" chord is too much, with the click of a mouse he makes it the standard 7 seconds. If songs run into each other like on Dark Side Of The Moon, he separates them. There is little the DJ can do about this except bring in his own CD's to play, and hope the CD player in the studio still works. It's all Corporate Rock, the guys in the suits make the calls, eveyone else is just trying to keep their jobs.

Don't blame it on the DJ's, there's not a thing they can do about it, and if you ask them (and I have), they are as frustrated about it is we are.

[/quote']

Been a LONG time since I worked in radio (anyone remember 104.5 The Fox?) When did they go back to turn tables and CDs and get away from carts?

Th PC aspect (or MAC) wouldn't surprise me at all.... seems like a natural progression to me....

I can't listen to Q107...too much hippy crap.

I hardly listen to Q107 anymore. I was doing a total ban after they dropped Howard Stern ( Stern is the best)

They put on that wannabe Derringer. I cant lsten to him, even his voice irritates me.

I miss Howard, but I wont so that satelite radio thingy.

This has a very simple explanation' date=' it's the wonderful world of 21st century technology that everyone thinks is so f***ing great. The DJ's no longer have control of the faders. The music you hear on radio stations is all mouse clicked from a computer screen, nobody plays records or even CD's anymore, it's all dumped on a harddrive. In fact, alot of what you hear is pre-programed to the point that the DJ is really at home having dinner with his family while his show is being aired "live".

[/quote']

There's even a radio station around here called Jack FM. There's no DJs at all. Just music and commercials and occasionally this pre-recorded voice of Jack who comes on and makes a few comments here and there.

In my humble opinion we have a great classic rock station in the u.k. it's called planet rock d j's include Mr Alice Cooper Mr Richard Wakeman . Not to many adverts and all the jocks seem to respect the music. Available on DAB in the u.k. and on the web for the rest of the world. I listen when on the webb it's great!

Anyone know what is up with the merger of Sirius and XM? I have XM and have been waiting for the merger for over a year.

We just got notice that we (as Sirius subscribers) can now listen to the "best of XM" whatever that is. I'll look into it. Seems like they may mix programming until they settle on a stable of channels to offer to both sets of subscribers.

Archived