Gibson Brands Forums

Epiphones new "1961" SG Special

Ditch Gator

Hi I'm new here but have owned and played many an Epi.

My '56 Gold Top with Lollars P90's, TonePros bridge and stopbar and a bone nut was my favorite. [thumbup]

But that may change with this new SG that is coming out. \:D/

They are not out in stores yet (however they can be pre-ordered) but I am hoping that some one might have some inside info about how many pieces of mahogany makes up the body?

The cherry or the TV yellow will be mine. [drool]

TonePros makes a wraparound bridge and I think they have one with light weight aluminum.

I'm sure that will be an automatic upgrade.

Thanks and I hope someone will give this nooby their time with the info.

I received the info on it in an email from Epiphone today.It has the "fretless wonder"neck and a novel wrap-around bridge layout.With the P-90s it should be just one hell of a superb guitar.It comes in white,TV yellow,black and cherry.

Thanks for the welcome folks [thumbup] .

My only concern with a guitar that has a wrap around is the neck angle to the body.

Without the T.O.M. this joints measurement is even more crucial.

The slab body will probably not be as big of an issue down the road, but a multi-piece body can shift after time and that can influence the playability of the guitar, but more so the whole set-up.

I'm sure I am not explaining this correctly but it can affect the sum of the parts in a negative way :o .

That said...@ $400.00 what's the worry? [wink]

Looks like some Lollar non-potted P90's and an aluminum wrap around is in my future on this guitar [cool]

The cherry or the tv yellow is my biggest concern so far. [love]

I was looking to get either a Vox 55sdc for the variety of tones one could get from it, or the Reverend Manta Ray 290 or even the PRS Custom Hollowbody P90.

All of them are more money and slightly different in looks of the best sellers out there.

I may (after all) be one of those conservative players who will not drift from the norm of tried and true guitar shapes [omg] ! Here...and I thought I was open minded [laugh][rolleyes] !

Oh well.

but a multi-piece body can shift after time and that can influence the playability of the guitar, but more so the whole set-up.

I'm sure I am not explaining this correctly but it can affect the sum of the parts in a negative way :o .

I think you need to re-examine that, because it's not correct.

Typically if you were to look at the overall expansion and contraction (measured across the width of the body) of a 1 piece body versus a properly laminated 3 or 4 piece body - the 1 piece would probably show a greater degree of variation, the only thing that would affect playability.

This is even more so these days with modern adhesives and proper technique.

See...I knew I was explaining this wrongly. Sorry. <_<

From a constructive approach to guitar building, imho, when using a wrap-around bridge the neck to body pitch is even more critical for proper intonation and playability.

I think this is why the earlier Les Pauls ('52 ect...)had to have neck adjustments, and the T.O.M bridge was created to fine tune these problems.

I have solid-bodied guitars that have 3 or more pieces glued together side to side (as opposed to layered or laminated), and you are absolutely right that the adhesives play that important role of keeping the soundboard (body) flat and true to the set neck pitch.

Unfortunately...on a couple of my guitars through the years and humidiy changes the body has become less than flat thus altering my bridge plane to my neck plane. [thumbdn] Horsehide glue, titebond or whatever is key to the longevity of a guitar.

It probably doesn't seem that a little bit here or there can make a difference but just a slight degree is all it takes to make a great guitar into a good or even less than good instrument requireing the costly help of a good luthier. [crying]

This is just my take on this subject which has been from my own obsevations and from what I have read somewhere long ago and far far away.

Maybe instead of an aluminum wraparound bridge I'll put on one of TonePros regular wraparounds. Since the SG is already kind of zingy perhaps a heavier one would be better? [cool]

Thanks.

I got one on pre order tv yellow, comes next month.

The wait is almost over.......

http://www.epiphone.com/blog/

[thumbup] I envy yoy guys.

You can count me in as well...well at least when my next paycheck arrives [rolleyes] !

Hope you folks can post some pics of and perhaps a pros and cons review? ;)

I will as well.

[thumbup] I envy yoy guys.

You can count me in as well...well at least when my next paycheck arrives [rolleyes] !

Hope you folks can post some pics of and perhaps a pros and cons review? ;)

I will as well.

I was thinking of splurging on a Gibson SG classic but this looks almost as good, with the neck binding it certainly looks nicer than the tribute Gibson SG. The tailpiece does look pretty ordinary with those black screws (why the hell did they not use shorter chrome ones?)but that is easily changed I guess. Decisions decisions.....

Sure will post pics and a review.

What pleases me is I noticed from the epi blog, that the machine heads are straight 3 buttons :o [love]. So pleased about that. You dont get that on the £600 Gibson LP Jr which put me off it, so when I do for that gibbo jr its gonna be big moneys!

If you folks don't mind me asking, who are you going to get your SG from?

I myself would like to play a few before I buy, but I may just do it online and take my chances. I've been lucky in the past buying online and it is a drag to audition a few if the store hasn't got more than 2 or 3 in stock! [unsure]

Anyone else ever buy online with good results?

Anyone else ever buy online with good results?

45 - 50 of my 60 came from online, I've had better luck shopping that way, for the most part, the guitars i dislike the most are the ones I've bought in person, I must be a terrible judge.

45 - 50 of my 60 came from online, I've had better luck shopping that way, for the most part, the guitars i dislike the most are the ones I've bought in person, I must be a terrible judge.

:rolleyes:

I am starting a working relationship with a guitar player who works for an online store and so far I am very pleased with the answers I am getting and the follow up to questions that were not known at the time. [thumbup]

Apparently his store will be getting a few in and he has promised to pick out the best of them for me. [biggrin]

Anyone else have an inside guy? [thumbup]

I know. [cool]

But the info supposedly came from a Gibson rep! [-o<

A couple of things;

Look at Pete's picture, the face of that guitar is Sapele, quartersawn no less (which is the typical cut for that material), Epiphone does not make one piece Sapele bodies for their SG's, it would be advertised in writing if they did as it would be a real selling point.

You can see in the picture that the body has a veneered face, in the top left corner you can clearly see that the grain does not follow off the face and on to the edge/bevels continuously, therefore the face must be veneered.

A couple of things;

Look at Pete's picture, the face of that guitar is Sapele, quartersawn no less (which is the typical cut for that material), Epiphone does not make one piece Sapele bodies for their SG's, it would be advertised in writing if they did as it would be a real selling point.

You can see in the picture that the body has a veneered face, in the top left corner you can clearly see that the grain does not follow off the face and on to the edge/bevels continuously, therefore the face must be veneered.

Do you think the source meant that the solid color bodies might be what he was referring to? [unsure]

Just received mine today and I must say way better in person than in the pics on the site. It has chrome screws on the bridge instead of black plus they are shorter the Tv yellow actually has wood grains that runs through the finish The paint on this one seems to be nice and thin instead of all thick like the other epi SG's I am overwhelmed with this guitar way better than I thought it was gonna be [thumbup] [thumbup] [thumbup] [thumbup]

Just received mine today and I must say way better in person than in the pics on the site it has chrome screws on the bridge instead of black plus they are shorter the Tv yellow actually has wood grains that runs through the finish The paint on this one seem to be nice and thin instead of all thick like the other epi SG's I am overwhelmed with this guitar way better than I thought it was gonna be [thumbup] [thumbup] [thumbup] [thumbup]

CHECK IT OUT !!!!!!

Archived