Gibson Brands Forums

Wall Street Journal Article on Gibson Raids

Californiaman

same here.. unfortunately as it raised some points i have been trying to make..particularly with 4th amendments violations regarding excessive force...was a swat team with automatic weapons necessary? that is an extreme measure and very dangerous..high velocity automatic weapons re an extreme measure and doing this to people at work is sickening...to me that was the crime ..something is really wrong here regardless of outcomes

I don't know if it's only in effect on this side of the pond but, without subscribing to the WSJ, I can only read the first 3 1/2 sentences of the article...

:-k

P.

The WSJ decided a couple of months ago to quit allowing "free" internet access. You have to subscribe, even online to get anything other than the "teasers". Good luck on that one guys.

do a google search on wsj gibson raid and hit the link, wsj should automatically offer an 'article free pass' and allow you to read the entire article.

Nice tip. I seem to remember that the WSJ logic was something like "limited access (20 or so hits per month) for $X or UNLIMITED access for $XXXX. Either way, the same info has got to be out there in some other venue for $0.

do a google search on wsj gibson raid and hit the link, wsj should automatically offer an 'article free pass' and allow you to read the entire article.

Wouldn't that be like reviving an old thread ???? [flapper][crying] :unsure: [scared] .......Just kidding, I'll try that, thank you.....

Why go after Gibson? They should have went after the origin of said wood. ( The Indian wood supplier ). Its their fault. BUT NO!!!! Its only because they'll get more publicity if they attack Gibson or any other US company. These friggin' politicians are probably making money off of the Gibson factory workers' suffering as we speak!! These people could lose their jobs! This is some serious business. Also, I think that Wall Street is screwing us over, lying to us, and getting rich off of our losses ( as in lay offs and evictions ). Every minute they're making America worse. THATS MY OPINION!!!

They don't give a rats *** about the wood... I think the Feds are putting a band together. Ten bucks says Marshall gets raided next.

So, the Feds wanna be " Deputy Marshalls " ????? Will they put everyone behind " Wammy Bars " ???

When they do a raid, will they call it a " 57 Pickup " ???? Will they keep people behind " Barres ???

Will they keep their guitars in " Federal Cases " ???

So, the Feds wanna be " Deputy Marshalls " ????? Will they put everyone behind " Wammy Bars " ???

When they do a raid, will they call it a " 57 Pickup " ???? Will they keep people behind " Barres ???

Will they keep their guitars in " Federal Cases " ???

Yep.

But don't fret... there will be a pick guard stationed outside each 12 Bar jail cell to make sure nobodys tailpiece gets hammered on.

Maybe they should focus on the wood that adorned all those weapons the A.T.F. sold the Mexican drug cartels. msp_cursing.gif

But, that wood was EXPORTED......[flapper] [flapper] [flapper] .......I'm suprised the Mexican Government hasn't sued us for LEAD POISONING....

From the, um, bullet thingees......[crying]#-o[-(eusa_sick.gif:-k .........

But, that wood was EXPORTED......[flapper] [flapper] [flapper] .......I'm suprised the Mexican Government hasn't sued us for LEAD POISONING....

From the, um, bullet thingees......[crying]#-o[-(eusa_sick.gif:-k .........

True enough, but didn't the ATF import these weapons by proxy ? msp_scared.gif Thankfully NAFTA kept the ATF from running afoul of any duties from the exportation of goods to a foreign country.

found the full article the link will ask for subscription so i copied pasted it-yes i cam011235 have breached a federal law no doubt so please send fully armed swat team to the address at this ip [biggrin]

A Justice Department raid at a famous guitar maker is prompting inquiries from Congress, a call to amend the act that prompted the raid and fresh debate about the impact of federal regulation on jobs.

On Tuesday, Republican lawmakers demanded more details from the Justice Department and Interior Department regarding the August raid at Gibson Guitar Corp., in which agents seized ebony suspected of being illegally imported from India.

Enlarge Image

Associated Press

Gibson CEO Henry Juszkiewicz, above, wants the Lacey Act amended.

"Why did they send armed agents into Gibson's facilities," asked Rep. Marsha Blackburn (R., Tenn.), a member of the House Committee on Energy and Commerce. In a statement, she said she couldn't understand why the administration "felt the need to act like a bunch of cowboys," when a letter or phone call could outline concerns that Gibson had violated the Lacey Act. The Lacey Act makes it illegal to import plants or wildlife obtained in violation of the laws in the U.S. or other countries.

Chris Tollefson, a spokesman for the Fish & Wildlife Service, part of the Interior Department, declined to comment on the Gibson investigation. He said the agency's enforcement is focused on companies that buy large quantities of wood products and won't focus on individual consumers or musicians.

"We are following the law as it was established by Congress," Mr. Tollefson said.

A Justice Department spokesman declined to comment.

As lawmakers were calling for more details into the raid, business and industry leaders offered varied views on whether the Lacey Act should be upheld or amended. Gibson Chief Executive Henry Juszkiewicz said in an interview Tuesday that he has hired a law firm to help craft a bill to amend the Lacey Act and is looking for sponsors in Congress.

Mr. Juszkiewicz said he wants clearer guidelines regarding "due care" to certify that wood imports are legal and for the law to apply only to importers and manufacturers, and not to retailers and consumers.

More broadly, he said he wants a mechanism to arbitrate grievances if there is "overreach" by federal agencies conducting investigations. Mr. Juszkiewicz estimated the government's raids have cost Gibson roughly $1 million in seized products and production disruptions as the company switched to alternate materials. The Nashville, Tenn., company is a big user of ebony and other scarce woods.

"Suppose the government is wrong, which I would say it is," he said. "They just incurred millions of dollars of damage for us and there are no consequences for that."

Other officials from the wood-products industry defended the Lacey Act, saying it has preserved U.S. jobs in timber, furniture and retail sectors and helped boost U.S. exports of wood products to foreign buyers who want assurance that the goods don't contain illegally forested material.

"This very much is a bill that has helped save domestic jobs in the hardwood industry," said Jameson French, CEO of Northland Forest Products Inc., in a conference call with representatives from the National Hardwood Lumber Association, the Environmental Investigation Agency, a nonprofit that tracks illegal logging, and the United Steelworkers labor union.

In 2008, the 111-year-old Lacey Act, originally passed to protect wildlife, was amended to cover wood and plant materials to help prevent illegal logging and deforestation in areas including the border between Russia and China, and to protect U.S producers from low-priced illegally sourced wood. The amendments were passed by Congress with bipartisan support, with the backing of the timber and wood products industries, environmentalists and labor, and were signed into law by President George W. Bush.

Rep. Earl Blumenauer (D., Ore.), an original supporter of the amendments, called the recent controversy over the Lacey Act "painfully overblown."

"The record is absolutely clear. If we have these provisions and they're enforced, it creates jobs in this country," he said.

Some industry groups, including the National Retail Federation, are concerned about compliance costs, given the multitude of products, including lipstick, that contain wood composites or small amounts of plant material might require verification that it complied with foreign law.

"The concern is that they impose huge compliance costs on the business community," said Erik Autor, international trade counsel for the federation. He said retailers could also have inventory seized if regulators believe it contained illegally sourced material.

The Agriculture Department is working on additional rules regarding enforcement of the act and trying to determine what types of products would have to be certified as legally imported by companies, including big-box retailers.

"This very much is a bill that has helped save domestic jobs in the hardwood industry," said Jameson French, CEO of Northland Forest Products Inc., in a conference call with representatives from the National Hardwood Lumber Association, the Environmental Investigation Agency, a nonprofit that tracks illegal logging, and the United Steelworkers labor union.

Wow !!!!!!! Listen to this idiot talk......We export RAW logs out of this country all the time.....NOT finished wood products, but RAW logs.......

Darn, so, exporting UNFINISHED LOGS saves American jobs.........I think they should start selling London Bridges !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Archived