Gibson Brands Forums

Wilco is the greatest band on the face of the earth

Silenced Fred

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I guess I just don't understand the whole "Dad Rock" thing.

Rock is Rock, and if it's good, it's good... regardless of whether or not my Dad listened to it. In fact, I grew up listening to a lot of my Dad's records.

I grew up in the 80's.. and my Dad loved Motley Crue.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding the term. It just seems like an unnecessary classification to me.

Well, I can't and won't speak for Jeff (Tweedy), but to me

"Dad Rock" means "safe!" What's been done,

countless times, before...to varying degrees, of success.

Wilco, likes to push things, even to abstraction. That's

healthy...IMHO. People (in general) resist change, or

"different," too often. I won't say I'm not subject, to

that, myself. But, I try to keep an open mind, about things,

and give them a fair shake. "Indy" rock, is a good thing...

Again, IMHO. At it's best, (maybe) a bit more honest, and

(somewhat) less about appeasing Corporate sponsorship. The

result(s), can vary, widely...obviously. But, like any art,

music needs that "no fear" attitude, and free minded creativity.

After all, we already have the "Classic Rock," that "Dad" or even

Grandad did, to cull from, and enjoy, at our leisure. ;>)

CB

Cool piece. Thanks! If you didn't see this one a few days ago from the LA Times, it's kind of a cool story about Jeff Tweedy relying on Pat Sansone as sort of a counterbalance as they mixed the record. This one's Dad Rock free, though.

I missed that. Sansone is awesome, and the Autumn Defense is a good band

I agree with CB, that's how I've always thought of it

Well, I can't and won't speak for Jeff (Tweedy), but to me

"Dad Rock" means "safe!" What's been done,

countless times, before...to varying degrees, of success.

Wilco, likes to push things, even to abstraction. That's

healthy...IMHO. People (in general) resist change, or

"different," too often. I won't say I'm not subject, to

that, myself. But, I try to keep an open mind, about things,

and give them a fair shake. "Indy" rock, is a good thing...

Again, IMHO. At it's best, (maybe) a bit more honest, and

(somewhat) less about appeasing Corporate sponsorship. The

result(s), can vary, widely...obviously. But, like any art,

music needs that "no fear" attitude, and free minded creativity.

After all, we already have the "Classic Rock," that "Dad" or even

Grandad did, to cull from, and enjoy, at our leisure. ;>)

CB

Charlie you are right at many levels.

There are a ton of bands out there doing all sorts of things that I never heard/seen before, my wife and I like to go to "Rock the Block" shows often where 4 or 5 bands play in one night, most of these acts we have never heard of and some will surprise you, I know some have surprised me. At the same time because I check out "new" acts this often I have a bit of a tolerance built up because once you hear what's going on out there and you see 30 indie bands you start seeing a pattern.

In our experience my wife has benefited more from our musical excursions because she has found more bands that she liked enough to buy their music. Case in point Daniel Ellsworth & the Great Lakes (look them up), great show, great showmanship and very innovative music but....it is not guitar driven and that's were it does not work out all that well for me, see what I am getting to?

I love creativity, open mindness and all that good jazz but I am going to need some good guitar playing in the forefront not just in the mix. Like it or not this is a guitar forum and I am willing to risk saying that most of us here like guitar-driven music. You don't see a lot of talk about Coldplay.

I do recommend to everybody to go out to see bands you have never seen before, cover is usually cheap, most of these guys are unsigned or release their own CDs and you can tell its all about the music with them because there is no fame or egos or catchy frases like Dad Rock.

My latest find "The Clutters" local Underground Garage band that already has 3 CDs and for the life of me I do not understand how I did not run into them before.

Look them up, you'll like them.

Yeah, I too, love "guitar based" Rock, the most. But, that's just you, me...and, some

other's here, no doubt. If it's good/great, even without guitars in front, I'll more

than give it a chance, and often, even embrace it. Music is just too important (at least

to most of us, here), to limit one's scope, too much. It's just to inspiring, and healing,

to allow that. Besides, one can "steal" good guitar licks and runs, from Sax and Trumpet

music as well. Why limit ourselves, when we don't have to?

"Lables," as to types of "rock," especially, seem to "limit," more than help to understand,

what's going on...because, often, folks won't even give a band or solo artist a chance, if

they're not in that person's acceptable "lable/catagory." So, "Luddite" that I am, I tend

to still keep music in just the basic catagories. Classic, Jazz, Rock, Folk, or Country/Bluegrass.

Even then, there are so many that transcend even those basic catagories, it's Still hard to

keep up. LOL Good music, is good music, regardless... It's also not necessary, or even

desirable, for everyone to like all the same "stuff," within any catagory, or label.How boring

that would be, huh? ;>)

CB

"Wilco is maturing, but it is not growing soft"

Funny, Wilco always sounded like a bunch of cream puffs to me.

Yea, it is called marketing.

At work when I get a case for evaluation I notice that typically the cases that are the weakest are the ones that come with a harder pitch, they have to make up for something you know.

Here is a song from the new album, 7 minutes, guitar playing starts after the 6 minute mark (I think), please do listen and get your own impression...to me the only difference between this and something that may have already been don in the 60's is that this sounds digital.

You're welcome!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWP4bI37mCE

Yea, it is called marketing.

At work when I get a case for evaluation I notice that typically the cases that are the weakest are the ones that come with a harder pitch, they have to make up for something you know.

Here is a song from the new album, 7 minutes, guitar playing starts after the 6 minute mark (I think), please do listen and get your own impression...to me the only difference between this and something that may have already been don in the 60's is that this sounds digital.

You're welcome!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWP4bI37mCE

Cool story bro. So you don't like Wilco? I had no idea

And the guitar playing is through the whole song, but just because it isn't some shitty riff being played over and over and over and over again until you get sick of it, the guitar parts change. Cool effect huh?

No, you're welcome, and I'll be sure to enter all of your threads with tons of irrelevant information to "prove my point"

I'm all for weird guitar sounds and weird music. Hell i like the Disharmonic Orchestra. But i really cant get into this band.

its not for everyone. just like death metal. I can't get into it. Wilco speaks to me.

Thanks for not shitting on my thread dem00n and being a decent human being. If I'm ever in NY, I'll buy you a beer and a moderately priced hooker

Archived