Gibson Brands Forums

what other pedals help create Marshall like tones?

nauc

The Lovepedal Superlead is awesome for that.

Yeah dude I built a clone and it kicked major ***. It sounded lame into my little solid state amp but it was freakin awesome with the vox.

I sold it for like $45 (supa cheap!) and bought an old effector 13 pedal with the money.

I'm about to build an OCD and that seems a little marshally from demos.

Yeah dude I built a clone and it kicked major ***. It sounded lame into my little solid state amp but it was freakin awesome with the vox.

I sold it for like $45 (supa cheap!) and bought an old effector 13 pedal with the money.

I'm about to build an OCD and that seems a little marshally from demos.

Whatcho get?

I have been chasing the Marshall sound out of stomp boxes for a long time now,

and I have found that if you want great Marshall tone, you need to go out and buy a Marshall, pedals come close, but Nothing beats the real deal.

Actually, I agree, totally. And, it really needs to be an all valve (Tube) version,

as well. IMHO An overdriven "Plexi" is (for me) the ultimate Marshall

tone.

CB

Actually, I agree, totally. And, it really needs to be an all valve (Tube) version,

as well. IMHO An overdriven "Plexi" is (for me) the ultimate Marshall

tone.

CB

Yessir....

All Valve, and if you want to be a total purist Hand Wired

Worth every penny, I will hopefully have mine home soon, $900 left to go.

Uh....Marshall Pedals, maybe? [rolleyes]

Bluesbreaker (I or II), Gov'nor Plus, Jackhammer...

CB

Yeah but apparently the current Marshall pedals aren't as good as the old ones. Xdemon mentoned the Superlead which is a copy of the old sweet Guv'nor. I have to say I don't like lovepedal though. Their pedals sound good but they just copy other peoples circuits and act like they designed them.

Also might wanna check out the Catalinbread Dirty Little Secret.

Yeah but apparently the current Marshall pedals aren't as good as the old ones. Xdemon mentoned the Superlead which is a copy of the old sweet Guv'nor. I have to say I don't like lovepedal though. Their pedals sound good but they just copy other peoples circuits and act like they designed them.

Also might wanna check out the Catalinbread Dirty Little Secret.

Well, could be...but, I'm all for getting a "real" Marshall amp, if you really

want/need, that sound. If I knew, back then, that I was going to start playing

guitar, again, after all these years, I would have kept my Marshall Major, full

stack. That monster was just amazing, both in volume, but more importantly, TONE!

It was "to die for!" [crying]

An old "polaroid," of me, and my Marshall Major (at age 19...1969)

CharlieBrown19Summer1969withMarshal.jpg

CB

Ha! I'm pretty sure I hold my right pinky just like that. Sweet stack dude. I would kill for that amp (nice guitars too).

I think it's pretty much understood by everybody that you're not going get the exact sound of a Marshall through a pedal but there are some really good Marshall-in-a-box style pedals now and whether they sound exactly the same or not they sound pretty nice.

Ha! I'm pretty sure I hold my right pinky just like that. Sweet stack dude. I would kill for that amp (nice guitars too).

I think it's pretty much understood by everybody that you're not going get the exact sound of a Marshall through a pedal but there are some really good Marshall-in-a-box style pedals now and whether they sound exactly the same or not they sound pretty nice.

Yeah, Dub...especially, if you only need that tone, for a few numbers, and not all the time.

And, full stacks, are hard to use (much less carry around), in small (tight) places. Out doors,

and large venues, they're great. But, I never play many places, where I could use that Marshall,

anymore. But, it was a "Sweet" sounding beast! I miss those (two) guitars, too. C'est La Vie!

I need to get to a store, in my area, that sells Marshall, and see what the low watt Class 5,

and Haze mini-stacks sound like, I guess. But, for what we do, these days, my Fender's are JUST

FINE! ;>) I do have a Marshall 4X12 Slant cabinet, in "like new" condition, that I'm looking for

a good "used, but not abused," DSL or Plexi head, to complete a 1/2 stack. All I need, is enough

"extra" money. LOL Don't we all??? [tongue]

CB

That's a great pic Charlie Brown....I always love seeing it !!!!! My LP Custom was just like yours as well......

I owned a Marshall head in the mid 80s, until it was stolen....An old one (70s model)...Loved it.............

That's a great pic Charlie Brown....I always love seeing it !!!!! My LP Custom was just like yours as well......

I owned a Marshall head in the mid 80s, until it was stolen....An old one (70s model)...Loved it.............

Thanks, Damian...at times, it seems like only "yesterday!" Other times, a completely different life!

LOL (Time flies...so, have as much Fun, as possible!) ;>)

CB

Exactly. Yeah I'm probably not using any stacks unless I get roadies to carry them for me. I'm way too lazy for that. Like you said they can just be impractical but they sound pretty sweet.

I was just thinking about the class 5 as well. Have you checked out the little 18 watt heads? I think you'd dig that sound and you could use it with your cab.

Exactly. Yeah I'm probably not using any stacks unless I get roadies to carry them for me. I'm way too lazy for that. Like you said they can just be impractical but they sound pretty sweet.

I was just thinking about the class 5 as well. Have you checked out the little 18 watt heads? I think you'd dig that sound and you could use it with your cab.

I see them, adverstised (MF, GC, Sweetwater, etc.), but I have yet to see one, "in the flesh,"

so to speak. Whenever I'm in the area (small) Guitar Center, or one other area dealer, they

don't seem to have all that many Marshall's, in stock. The line is always "We can order it,

for you!" LOL Hell, I can "order" it, on line. I guess, with the economy, the way it is,

no one wants to "stock" too much, and get stuck with it, anymore? Who knows? But, I will

definitely check out the 18 watt head, IF/When I ever get to actually see one. Living in the

"sticks" has certain advantages, but "guitar/amp shopping," isn't one of them. [tongue]

CB

If a store orders something for you its better. You dont have to pay shipping most of the time and if something is wrong with the guitar or you dont like it you can just bring it to the store.

Yeah, but if there's no "demo" to try out, I'd be much less likely to order one,

without trying it, first. That's all I meant. When you live 100 miles, from the

closest guitar store, of any kind, it becomes a bit more important (to me, anyway)

to know what you're getting, first! ;>)

CB

Archived