Gibson Brands Forums

Ever consider a "Taylor" for the stable?

Eyecon

Played a few Taylors today again at my local shop, must say the all Koa model GA sounded really nice, something between mahogany and rosewood, had quite worn in strings which actually was a good thing as it gave the Taylor a real good dose of warmth. Very nice.

You know? .. I think that may be why I like the custom Breedloves so much. They're really just Taylors with added "mystical sex appeal". [love]

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My Mother was a Taylor...she sewed my new blue Jeans....My father was a gamblin' man, in that house down in New Orleans.....

The only thing a gambler needs is a suitcase and a trunk....and the only time he'll be satisfied, is when he's all drunk!

I had an early Taylor 710C from his original shop,had a Florentine cut-away. Wonderful guitar but I didn't love it. Sold it, bought a 45. Had a GORGEOUS Taylor 12 string not long ago, and I can agree with whoever said they make wonderful 12's. The only problem with it was, for me, the idea of a 12 string is nice but I NEVER played it. Ever. Sold it.

I think in today's production guitar market, Taylor is maybe in the top 3. Bob got it right and sticks to a very decent game plan. They fall in the "Martin" style category to me and I'm definitely a "Gibson style" kinda guy. I would buy a Taylor before I would buy a Martin. Don't bash me, just the way i feel!

Taylors have great playability. They are good guitars. I find them too bright for me. I not sure what style I play, but I look for a guitar that is sweet; strong warm mids, sweet kind of rounded highs, and a strong but not poignant bass. That is not what a Taylor is about (at least the few I’ve played). There are Gibsons that don’t fit that bill either. The AJ is a good example. It’s a nice guitar but not for me, nor are most of the rosewood guitars.

By the way, nice looken Taylor in the picture!!!

chasAK

A friend of mine states that a Taylor is what I should be playing. I confess that I have not played but a handful at the local big box store. Which leads me to my question. Curious to know something about current (and past) Gibson owners. with Gibson having it's own unique, growling, balanced, sounds great with vocal tone....Would or have you ever considered or bought a Taylor?

No,...Better chance of Peace in the Middle East than me buying a Taylor...

[flapper]

No,...Better chance of Peace in the Middle East than me buying a Taylor...

Hah! Very funny. They are very well made and play well. However I just can't seem to find the personality in the instrument. Taylor makes a very consistent quality controlled instrument. But then again, I name my guitars as they each are different, and to me this is what makes the Gibson experience so special. When you find that "one," you will know it. And you will never part with it. Hence B.B's relationship with his Lucille...

[flapper]

Archived