Gibson Brands Forums

Ever consider a "Taylor" for the stable?

Eyecon

I go to quite a few Taylor Road Shows(I've got more Taylor t shirts than any other guitar related shirts combined) I get there and they don't sound very good but after a while they start to sound better. But then I come home to my gibson and the Taylor's don't sound so good anymore. They do on the other hand play really well, and I quite like that all their guitars have ebony boards and bridges. I played a GC 5(?) the one with spruce and hog, this one was a limited though and had fancy inlay and 12 fret neck, that particular guitar sounded amazing, probably one of the best guitars I've ever played.

I also agree that Taylor make the best playing/sounding 12 strings on the market.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Amen on Breedloves. Another sweet instrument. [thumbup]

Hey M-Picker! .. Just out of curiousity, do you fancy the Korean Breedloves as much as the American made ones? I, myself, like the Korean ones alot too .. but a good ol' Master Class is still tough to beat.

My last Breedlove was a Stage c25 or something like that. Cost me $725 on a sale. Think it usually went for just over a grand. Made in Korea, but assembled here. That's what the tag said anyway. Didn't care where it was from, because it was pretty decent. Cedar top. Nice guitar. Very nice for the money. Kept it about a year when a friend wanted to buy it. He's had it a couple years now. Somewhere down the line I still want one of the Focus models with the dragon inlay up-and-down the neck. Kim does some awesome inlays. I love the look of those guitars. I've always considered American-made Breedloves as a first-class instrument. Their imports are nice guitars also.

Oh, c'mon now! You must be comparing custom level Gibbys to a 314. That just ain't fair. I can guarantee you that a 616ce in tobacco burst can hold it's own against ANY other guitar brand out there. Just sayin'

You might be right.... I am kinda spoiled, and I have no idea what model Taylor the guy had. He LOVED it... said it was the best guitar he ever had, (and he's a 45+ year musician).

You might be right.... I am kinda spoiled, and I have no idea what model Taylor the guy had. He LOVED it... said it was the best guitar he ever had, (and he's a 45+ year musician).

... and maybe it was. Taylors are pretty nice.

P.S. I wouldn't call it "spoiled" .. You've just been blessed with some REALLY nice Gibbys there.

now taylor does beat every1 in 1 department. broke my leg in 3 places a year and a half ago. went thru many om and dreads[martins,breedloves] trying to find something that was comfortable on my leg. i now play a taylor gs mini 90% of the time. havent seen a small guitar sound as good or play as good as it.

Never could cozy up to a Taylor. It has nothing to do with any perception of lack of quality or anything - they just that ain't for me. I find them way too bright with not enough thump in the bass for the fingerpicked blues I play. I also do not like the neck profiles - too slim for my taste.

Funny thing but I actually like the sound of their cheaper import models better than the high dollar guitars. Go figure...

Never could cozy up to a Taylor. It has nothing to do with any perception of lack of quality or anything - they just that ain't for me. I find them way too bright with not enough thump in the bass for the fingerpicked blues I play. I also do not like the neck profiles - too slim for my taste.

Funny thing but I actually like the sound of their cheaper import models better than the high dollar guitars. Go figure...

That's exactly how I found them and I found the cheaper imports had a more round sound in comparison to the $2500 + Taylors.

I have thought about this many times. I nearly pulled the trigger on a 714 712 and a 512.

They are great guitars, superbly made and look good...but I just couldn't do it.

May be because I have been so taken with Gibson and Martin, which have long and glorious histories.

Taylors are modern and innovative, and I suppose I am not so modern.

Also, for me, way too many Taylor s are made with cut outs as standard.

For me, this is an unnecessary feature. However, it will appeal to a lot of players.

I agree with Ponty I hate how many taylor have cutaways ...

that is why I don't like how most taylors look ...

and for me tone and looks go hand in hand

Can we bring this back around to the idea of what works for your playing style. To give one example, Gary Davis music sounds just right on my J50; its a "churchy" sound. My Martin 000 is a more articulate instrument, particularly in the upper register, but when I play Davis music on it, it feels like the guts have been ripped out. Zombywolf said as much. Rash came up with a whole other set of answers, but (suspect) he plays a different bag. At the end of the day, you need a guit that plays to your strengths, lets you live with its weaknesses. That's why I suggested earlier that it would be a good to find out why your pal likes his Tay and then see whether or not you come up with the same answer.

I don't hate cutaways - just don't have the need to get to the frets all the way up there. I do, however, love 12 fret slotheads.

You're right...I don't hate them either....I just prefer my acoustic guitars not to have them, and I think they ruin the looks of a great acoustic guitar.

Played a few Taylors today again at my local shop, must say the all Koa model GA sounded really nice, something between mahogany and rosewood, had quite worn in strings which actually was a good thing as it gave the Taylor a real good dose of warmth. Very nice.

I also played a newly arrived J-185 which was one of the best tone J-185's Ive personally come across. Jerry K, I hope youre reading this thread ! ;-)

Archived