Gibson Brands Forums

What to do? What to do?

GotTheSilver

Please help me! I am at my wits' end!!!

My wife is very, very understanding of my love of guitars. Normally, she is ok with me buying one new guitar a year. This year she has been very patient while I bought two guitars! But even that has not satisfied my wood lust! I find myself craving new guitars at an alarming rate! It's not that I don't appreciate what I have - I do! But I see other guitars for sale on eBay, or play them in the stores, and I WANT THEM!!! Beyond not having the funds to buy more and more guitars, the missus' patience has already been stretched with the two recent acquisitions. I can't push it any further!

But yet these guitars continue to seduce me! They beckon me with their gorgeous sunbursts and sexy curves! Why oh why did they have to design guitars based on a woman's sexy curves?!?! They whisper in my ear, "Buy me. Pluck my strings. Twiddle my knobs." They invade my dreams at night like a melodic Freddy Krueger.

I've tried all the solutions I know of for GAS - Beano, Gas-ex, staying out of guitar stores. I even tried a 12 fret program! Nothing seems to work. This is becoming an uncontrollable addiction. If I could snort a guitar, I would! Inject it right into my veins! Freebase nitrocellulose! [scared]

Ah, alas, I am not rich or single, so I guess I just have to suffer.

I hear ya brother... I think we all love new wood. Ever consider trading instead of buying? If the guitars are both approx. value, not much money exchanges hands. You could always feed your GAS with min. cash. Just a thought.

Imagine me giving you a big slap and telling you directly GET IT TOGETHER SON !!!

Best remedy for Gas for me is to put your current guitars away for one to two weeks, then put new strings of them and start playiing, see how much you like your current lot after a short break, chances are they will give you a lovelly smile.

Here is how I temper GAS......

1. Do NOT go on EBAY.....no play, no pay......no try, no buy

2. If I try out a new guitar, I bring my favorite Guitar. The new guitar better be as good or better, or leave it.

3. I MUST learn 10 songs ......words, chords, leads, bass runs, etc...., by heart, between purchases. If I'm only buying and not playing....something is wrong

4. Bring a guitar playing friend (who is NOT an enabler) to your try out sessions for an 'unbiased' opinion other than the salesman

5. Do not duplicate guitars.....if you have a great Dread.....why buy another (or three or four)??

It is tough. Medical bills. Required traveling for family stuff. Car needs this and that. You know. The usual life stuff has keeps one away

from one's next guitar. Always one more thing.

I've been waiting to get an ES-339. Heard so many good things about it. I've heard it played by pros and ams. Yumm.

I am afraid if I go play one I will buy it. So got to wait until the money is there.

So, GotTheSilver, simpatico. Simpatico.

Yup....my j45 is only maybe 3 months in hand....and I am obsessed with getting a j200 studio. But my wife would literally kill me. Now...I own my own company and have an office space with storage in the back. I am seriously playing with th idea of buying it and keeping I at work. I only have one guy who works or me and e works remotely.....Grrrrr

Here is how I temper GAS......

1. Do NOT go on EBAY.....no play, no pay......no try, no buy

2. If I try out a new guitar, I bring my favorite Guitar. The new guitar better be as good or better, or leave it.

3. I MUST learn 10 songs ......words, chords, leads, bass runs, etc...., by heart, between purchases. If I'm only buying and not playing....something is wrong

4. Bring a guitar playing friend (who is NOT an enabler) to your try out sessions for an 'unbiased' opinion other than the salesman

5. Do not duplicate guitars.....if you have a great Dread.....why buy another (or three or four)??

No fun there! No eBay? 10 songs complete? Guitar friend? I wouldn't have my FIRST guitar!!!!

Here's an even worse idea: One guitar IN, One guitar OUT!

Last time I bought a guitar on eBay, I was looking up my next guitar purchase on eBay....

BluesKing777.

My wife is very, very understanding of my love of guitars. Normally, she is ok with me buying one new guitar a year. This year she has been very patient while I bought two guitars! Beyond not having the funds to buy more and more guitars, the missus' patience has already been stretched with the two recent acquisitions. I can't push it any further!

I think you said it all there. Sounds like you have a good thing going, much better than most other guys. So my only advice would be don't ruin a good thing.

Ive been there and Done that... there does come a time though when you see the light.. and come to the conclusion.. that you have a addiction... you can only play one guitar at a time.

I know the story your talking about... Ive been through it too...

and when you think youve had 1 of each... or two or 3 of each..... They decide to make another type and Model...

so do you have to have that too? for me.. NOPE. [flapper] .

Boy have you come to right place!!

It's like inviting a pyromaniac to a fireworks factory. [rolleyes]

I've been on this deal since about 1992; started with one Rickenbacker 370, hasn't stopped too much since then.

Stick around, and be sure to share photos of the six-stringed seductresses!

Fred

Well, it's good to see that there are some supporters here, in addition to the enablers! Obviously, I am just having some fun here. I am a responsible adult (did I actually just say that?) and can handle my resposibilities. It's just fun to have a hobby you love so much!

Archived