Gibson Brands Forums

"insane" guitar solos...

S t e v e

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I must say I really enjoyed that, I didn't care for the vocals (didn't hate them either,) but I could understand them pretty well (not that not understanding lyrics is my complain, I usually look up lyrics anyways) but the instrumentation was class A.

Yep, one of my favorites for sure--and I love how he switches from clean chanting to screaming. It's a great song.

Also, that sweeping thing in the beginning could totally count as an insane solo.

The screaming/growling works well in the style for two reasons:

1) The more abrasive vocal textures fits in more interestingly and often more appropriately with the distorted tones of the instruments

2) The more abrasive vocal textures more accurately convey the content of the music

To be honest, even when I listen to music that doesn't have growls, I can't always understand what the vocalists are talking about. I mean, let's be honest: nobody can understand a single word Mick Jagger sings. I also listen to a lot of latin jazz, which I can't understand because my Spanish isn't good enough to make sense of it. I think that, more often, people dislike growling and screaming because they don't like the texture of the sound rather than because they can't understand the words. I don't mean to tell you why you don't like something, but in my experience a lot of people I know have used the "I can't understand the words" excuse as a way of expressing something that's really completely different from what they mean.

Of course, Children of Bodom (that band) mostly uses screams because death metal was trendy in Finland when they started playing. They're what metal fans often call "false metal."

Here's a band that likewise uses growled vocals, and also has stuff that I think you'd find musically interesting:

No hidden agenda here, if as you claim distortion is the goal why waste time with a vocalist? If you ever check my posts you know I have posted artist from all over the world, while I may not understand the words, I can understand the emotion.

The only emotion I get from the screaming in Metal is anger....I do not listen to music to stir up my anger...To me some metal sounds like the sound track from a kill'em all video game..

No hidden agenda here, if as you claim distortion is the goal why waste time with a vocalist? If you ever check my posts you know I have posted artist from all over the world, while I may not understand the words, I can understand the emotion.

The only emotion I get from the screaming in Metal is anger....I do not listen to music to stir up my anger...To me some metal sounds like the sound track from a kill'em all video game..

i am an angry person, that may explain it...

OK, you don't listen to music to stir up anger...that's cool. Is everyone like you?

I listen to music to feel the groove...i typically couldn't care less about all this "emotion" you guys go on about...what you guys feel is emotion, I feel is a guy playing guitar really well. :) Does that make me crazy. Perhaps...but it shows you that not everyone reacts to music the same way as you.

OK, you don't listen to music to stir up anger...that's cool. Is everyone like you?

I listen to music to feel the groove...i typically couldn't care less about all this "emotion" you guys go on about...what you guys feel is emotion, I feel is a guy playing guitar really well. :) Does that make me crazy. Perhaps...but it shows you that not everyone reacts to music the same way as you.

Actually, that's how I feel too.

I've never detected an ounce of soul in Stevie Ray Vaughan's playing, and he's one of those guys who's considered one of the "most" soulful. I don't buy it. I think people automatically confuse minor pentatonic licks with soul.

I've never detected an ounce of soul in Stevie Ray Vaughan's playing, and he's one of those guys who's considered one of the "most" soulful. I don't buy it. I think people automatically confuse minor pentatonic licks with soul.

I don't know that its "confusion" per se...i think people process music differently. I don't doubt that some people feel something when listening to specific artists. I believe is has to do with their interpretation of the music as well as their own life experiences.

I just process music differently...what does bother me is that the people who do feel emotion in music make a false assumption that everyone else does too. They put down music that doesn't make THEM feel and dismiss it as crap or emotionless. It's a very one dimensional view of music in my opinion and these people cut themselves off from a lot of cool stuff by treating it this way.

I don't know that its "confusion" per se...i think people process music differently. I don't doubt that some people feel something when listening to specific artists. I believe is has to do with their interpretation of the music as well as their own life experiences.

I just process music differently...what does bother me is that the people who do feel emotion in music make a false assumption that everyone else does too. They put down music that doesn't make THEM feel and dismiss it as crap or emotionless. It's a very one dimensional view of music in my opinion and these people cut themselves off from a lot of cool stuff by treating it this way.

but shredding IS emotionless...

[biggrin]

Thanks for trolling. [biggrin]

I've felt more emotion from Marty Friedman, Paul Gilbert, Michael Amott and Dimebag Darrell than I ever have from SRV, Eric Clapton, BB King or Buddy Guy. What I hate is that this makes people think I'm some sort of musical idiot.

I was kidding. But I can't stand SRV, EC BB or Buddy. Listen to the Nels Cline solo in impossible germany. its insane

Hmmm, so if I can detect Soul and Emotion from SRV and Paul Gilbert as well as Jack White does that make me more in tune or less in tune with the cosmos? [flapper]

If you ask me, Yngwie doesn't have much feeling, but Vai and especially Satriani do.

SRV and Buddy Guy are chock full of soul, Peter Green and John Lee Hooker don't do it for me. That doesn't mean they don't have their Mojo workin'

Dave Mustain plays with tons of Soul, Kirk Hammett just doesn't speak to me.

I can't explain what it is in their sound that does or doesn't speak to my soul, but that doesn't mean they're not speaking with their soul. It begs the question What is the intangible quality that makes one person dance while the next person cringes? What makes people Love Kurt Cobain while they throw rocks at Chad Kroeger? Why does anyone like John Mayer?

What is the intangible, even ethereal quality that makes one two chord song "Cooler" than some other two chord song? What the Hell is Mojo, anyway?

Post one video of SRV shoving a microphone down his throat and screaming like his just had his sack caught in a vise and I will change my stand....

As I said before, I have no problem with metal guitar, bass and drum playing...it's the screaming or what ever you want to call it..

Post one video of SRV shoving a microphone down his throat and screaming like his just had his sack caught in a vise and I will change my stand....

As I said before, I have no problem with metal guitar, bass and drum playing...it's the screaming or what ever you want to call it..

Post one video of SRV doing something that isn't painfully generic and uncompromisingly bland and I'll suck your richard.

I wasn't implying that metal guitar has more soul than blues guitar, just that people respond to different things in different ways. I'd like to point out a nifty double-standard, though: it seems like anyone on here can ridicule extreme metal without any sort of reproach or disagreement from anyone but me, but if I have anything negative to say about any of the sacred cows of music on here (SRV, Clapton, Knopfler, Grand Funk, The Beatles, so on and so forth,) I get a figurative a$s-beating.

Just sayin'.

Post one video of SRV doing something that isn't painfully generic and uncompromisingly bland and I'll suck your richard.

I wasn't implying that metal guitar has more soul than blues guitar, just that people respond to different things in different ways. I'd like to point out a nifty double-standard, though: it seems like anyone on here can ridicule extreme metal without any sort of reproach or disagreement from anyone but me, but if I have anything negative to say about any of the sacred cows of music on here (SRV, Clapton, Knopfler, Grand Funk, The Beatles, so on and so forth,) I get a figurative a$s-beating.

Just sayin'.

So you take that as a ticket to act like the very people you rail against? It's also pretty obvious that you are the Champion of Nu Metal, which is why you always seem to be alone in your defense of Nu Metal. And, the guys you called generic weren't generic when they came out. They either defined the Genre or revived the Genre (genre being the root of the word generic). SRV didn't sound like anyone else until Kenny Wayne Sheppard and Johnny Lang started ripping him off. EC didn't sound like anyone else when he co-founded Cream. And trust me, when these guys came out their fans caught plenty of guff from those that refused to accept their talents.

I know it seems like SRV has always had legions of rabid fans stealing his licks, but when he was alive I was the ONLY GUY in my school, (or in the whole town for that matter) that had even heard of him let alone listened to him. If you didn't listen to Metal or New Wave you just weren't cool. I took the Less Than Cool Road and happily defended SRV and the Blues for years before he died. Seems like it's Screamo's turn to survive the naysaying, but don't expect it to get more acceptance than Clapton, Hendrix, or Vaughan until they've survived a few generations.

Archived