Gibson Brands Forums

Not a Guitar, But Interesting

FirstMeasure

Great posts...!!

Some iconic sounds emanating therefrom....

I have a 'rotary' setting on my multi-fx which puts me in mind of the Leslie effect

And many digital keyboards have 'digital drawbars' to emulate the Hammond sound

Nowadays Joey de Francesco is doing terrific stuff....

V

:-({|=

GREAT POST

The Hammond Tone Organs are marvels of engineering.

I have an 1964 era "A series" which I call a B3 on Steroids as it has

the amplifier built into the cabinet. I do not have a Leslie

as seen in the video ....Yet !

The reason I call them marvels is my A102 has lost a couple of the

frequencies produced by the "Tone Wheels" and assorted electrical

components. I have spent the last year and a half trying to repair the

issues from studying the schematics, reading web sites devoted to these marvels

changing capacitors to pulling the whole tone wheel module etc, It is fun and interesting

to say the least. Plus I have actually made improvements to the overall sound it produces.

I haven't been able to improve on the design not at all just improved on the sound it originally

was intended to produce. It is a great project plus being a keyboardist, to me, the Hammond sound

is the "holy grail" of organ sounds. All other brands try to imitate this classic design. Even Hammond

themselves only imitate that great sound now. It reminds me of a car dealer trying to sell a luxury car and trying

to convince you to buy his brand by saying "It rides just like a Cadillac"

Nothing sounds like a "Tone Wheel Hammond"

Grear thread-thanks for posting.I could've gotten a '58 B-5 also known as the "Baby B-3" last year for just $100 but the missus had a shitfit when she saw the size of it and didn't want it in the house.Some day though I'm determined to get me a Hammond.BTW I already use a Leslie Model 16 cabinet for guitar and it sounds fabulous.

.... BTW I already use a Leslie Model 16 cabinet for guitar and it sounds fabulous.

There's some pedals that emulate the Leslie speaker - http://www.google.com/#pq=guitar+pedal+rotary+effect&hl=en&cp=28&gs_id=v&xhr=t&q=guitar+pedal+rotary+speaker+effect&pf=p&sclient=psy-ab&source=hp&pbx=1&oq=guitar+pedal+rotary+speaker+effect&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&gs_sm=&gs_upl=&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.,cf.osb&fp=ebaa3ff8b466872e&biw=1768&bih=1019 - I really like the effect for some music, so I've got one.

Archived