Gibson Brands Forums

Is The Les Paul Standard In Cherry Red Being Produced?

A add9

I am amazed, and frustrated that Gibson does not produce a Cherry Red paint option these days. Am I missing something? I mean, seriously, how sweet is a Paul in Creme and Cherry Red? Anybody know if they are available, or will I have to special order?

Thanks in advance,

Joe

I hadn't noticed, but according to Gibson's website you're right - no red or cherry red LP Stds. Only thing I saw was a Sam Ash exclusive Les Paul Traditional 1960 in trans red with the pups uncovered. You could custom order a red 2008 LP Std through a Gibson dealer, which could be a bit pricey, or buy used.

I hadn't noticed, but according to Gibson's website you're right - no red or cherry red LP Stds. Only thing I saw was a Sam Ash exclusive Les Paul Traditional 1960 in trans red with the pups uncovered. You could custom order a red 2008 LP Std through a Gibson dealer, which could be a bit pricey, or buy used.

I did see the trans red 1960 edition while browsing the Sam Ash website a couple of weeks ago. I went and checked it out in person. I'm not too thrilled with that particular shade of red. Maybe if the pick ups were solid creme or solid black it would do a little more for me. I have zebra pick ups on my black Paul which I love, but not so much on the trans red. Also, I don't like that there is no contrast in color between the sides/back and face. I like the red front to be offset by a darker shade for the back and sides.

Anyway, thanks again, I will look into the 08.

Here's my 87 Studio Standard, but I believe it was called "Ferrari Red". Sweet guitar, and for sale!IMG_2575.jpgIMG_2573.jpgIMG_2574.jpg

Nice! Thanks for sharing the pics. I love red Pauls. For me though, my preference is solid cherry red in a standard/standard.....however I would not kick your axe out of bed for eating crackers. She's a beauty. Hopefully, it will sell soon for what you're askin.

PS - None of my business, but are selling to buy new equip?

Nice! Thanks for sharing the pics. I love red Pauls. For me though, my preference is solid cherry red in a standard/standard.....however I would not kick your axe out of bed for eating crackers. She's a beauty. Hopefully, it will sell soon for what you're askin.

PS - None of my business, but are selling to buy new equip?

Probably another guitar, would be nice to move up to a Standard if I could find the right one at the right price.

Probably another guitar, would be nice to move up to a Standard if I could find the right one at the right price.

I don't see you having a hard time selling that. It really is a pretty guitar. Aside from the fretboard inlays, it's about as Les Paul Standard as it gets. You've even got the creme binding which most studios versions don't.

From what I've seen over the years, Heritage Cherry shades can vary.

Anything from dark red, to an almost orange shade.

Especially with SG's.

Wine Red on Les Pauls seems to be a little more consistantly dark.

This year, they're offering Wine Red again as a finish for the Les Paul Traditional after being gone for a while.

http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/Les-Paul/Gibson-USA/Les-Paul-Traditional.aspx

LPTD-WRCH1-Finish-Shot-jpg.aspx?KeepThis=true&

For the past few years Wine Red has been available exclusively on the Standard Traditional Pro.

A Guitar Center/Musicians Friend/Music 1,2,3 exclusive:

http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/Les-Paul/Gibson-USA/Les-Paul-Traditional-Pro.aspx

DV019_Jpg_Regular_581715.001_wine_red_body_closeup.jpg

Thanks for the reply.

I used to own a wine red Standard. A little too dark for me. I'd prefer a medium cherry or cardinal red. I'm seriously considering doing a special order.

From what I've seen over the years, Heritage Cherry shades can vary.

Anything from dark red, to an almost orange shade.

Especially with SG's.

Wine Red on Les Pauls seems to be a little more consistantly dark.

This year, they're offering Wine Red again as a finish for the Les Paul Traditional after being gone for a while.

http://www2.gibson.c...raditional.aspx

LPTD-WRCH1-Finish-Shot-jpg.aspx?KeepThis=true&

For the past few years Wine Red has been available exclusively on the Standard Traditional Pro.

A Guitar Center/Musicians Friend/Music 1,2,3 exclusive:

http://www2.gibson.c...tional-Pro.aspx

DV019_Jpg_Regular_581715.001_wine_red_body_closeup.jpg

• 4 months later...

I really love the looks, of that one! Reminds me, a bit, of George Harrison's "Lucy,"

although, it was a refinished (in "SG Red") Gold-Top. Still, it's a nice looking

Les Paul! [thumbup][biggrin]

CB

[thumbup] Yeah I really like the satin finishes.. I really like the brown one too

Image62.jpg

Archived