Gibson Brands Forums

The World's best guitarist (acoustic and electric!!)

Duende

I've listened to his stuff fairly often over the last 30-odd years - whether solo, with the Mahivishnu Orchestra or whatever - and I still can't stand his playing.

I accept and recognise that he's a great musician and I'll keep on giving him (or me, perhaps?) a chance but he's just not my cup of tea.

P.

Yes to John McLaughlin...!!

One of the great 'clean living' jazz/rock guitarists

Arguably creating the genre with Miles Davis in the late 60's

Then on to the Shakti Indo/Fusion period

One of the first tasteful synth players...culminating in albums like Que Alegria and Live at Festival Hall, with input from Trilok Gurtu

Team him up with Joey de Francesco and Dennis Chambers and we are indeed 'cooking on gas'

V

:-({|=

I'm at the Gibson forum...'when in Rome' ;)

Of course I don't believe in the idea of 'best'; in the world of music, but I have had a good bald headed online teacher who had taught me how to get a thread going talking about a guitarist LOL

BTW, I think he John McLaughlin makes Gary Moore sound like one of the Sugar Babes (take that Blofeld)

Matt

Well in my opinion! LOL He is so damn inspiring!!!!

As ever, Matt, you're in good company....

"In 2010 guitarist Jeff Beck called him "...the best guitarist alive..." in an interview for 'Uncut' magazine." (Google is my Friend...LOL!).

Yes to John McLaughlin...!!.......One of the great 'clean living' jazz/rock guitarists......Arguably creating the genre with Miles Davis in the late 60's.

Funnily enough, Versatile, I was going to mention Miles Davis in my earlier post. I share the same feelings for MD that I have for JM with the ecxeption that I have found one MD album that I like!

Then again, as 'Ascenseur Pour L'echafaud' was released in 1958 it pre-dates JM's oeuvre by some years.

P.

Regarding the 'Jimi John Jam'

I hear echoes of 'B-itches' Brew'.....well cool....

There was talk of Jimi recording with Miles Davis around that time

A dream team if ever there was

With the likes of Tony Williams and Jack De Johnette

IMO John McLaughlin has been and is one of the most influential musicians of the 20th and 21st century....

V

:-({|=

I've listened to his stuff fairly often over the last 30-odd years - whether solo, with the Mahivishnu Orchestra or whatever - and I still can't stand his playing.

I accept and recognise that he's a great musician and I'll keep on giving him (or me, perhaps?) a chance but he's just not my cup of tea.

P.

I have to agree with you 100% Pippy on this one.

The only work of JM that I can truly enjoy is his acoustic work with Al DiMeola and Paco Delucia - I saw the trio in concert back in the 80's and they were really great!

I was jamming in a music store about 5 years ago working on an acoustic song. about half way through the song this dude sticks his head in the doorway and says John Mclaughlin? I said who? he said oh is that yours I thought it was John Mclaughlin. I didnt know who he was talking about so I went home and youtubed him. there wasnt a lot of videos but I was impressed and kinda humbled by the compliment.

He's definitely one of the greats. I was reading Guitar Player today and there was a quote from Jimi. He was asked how it felt to be the world's greatest guitarist, to which he responded "I don't know. Why don't you ask Rory Gallagher?" Another one of the greats...

Archived