Gibson Brands Forums

HNGD for CB

charlie brown

Well, as mention previously, one was my '50's Tribute Gold Top Studio (I kept my '60's version)...

Another one was a Washburn (Korea) Cumberland 12-string acoustic, nice sounding guitar, for a

decent/fair price, but the neck was too wide, for me, to be comfortable. An '82 Japanese Strat,

that I never played anymore, because I have 2 other's...my original '64, and a nice little "High-

way 1 (small headstock version), that I like more. And, the guitar I really didn't want to part

with, but will replace (proabably with a Gold-Top, or Royale version), was my Epi P-93LE Riviera.

I got what I wanted/expected out of all of them, on trade, except the 12-string...thought I might

get more for it, but it had a nicely reparied crack, in the top, so...I was being "optimistic" on

that one. (Smile) But, overall, I was realistic, and very pleased, with the deal. I just LOVE

this Classic Custom! Looks, playability, tone/sound, everything!

CB

Parting with four sounds like a lot but it seems you've made a pretty good trade there, CB.

Alan

Very cool. Time for a CB group shot...

LOL...Yeah, I need to DO that, at some point, I guess?

Until then: Here's (old photo's of) the Les Paul's, at least:

(Front Row) 2000 Les Paul Classic Plus, 1980 Les Paul Custom (modified), 1976 Les Paul Deluxe,

(Back Row) 2001 Les Paul Jr Lite (red and black...slightly modified), and 2005 Les Paul Faded Special.

DSC_0030.jpg

'60's Tribute LP Studio "Gold Top"

DSC_0044-1.jpg

(Newest)...2011 Les Paul Classic Custom (Gold Top)

DSC_0012-2.jpg

And, close ups, of my 1980 Custom (modified)

DSC_0007-1.jpg

DSC_0003-1.jpg

Just recently put in Gibson '57 and '57+ pickups, in the "Classic" (what a difference!!), and it's having it's frets "rounded, crowned and polished, as well. So, I'm looking forward, to getting it back, this coming Friday (11-4-2011).

CB

Well, gang...I've done it, this time! [thumbup] Got a new Gibson Les Paul Classic Custom "Gold Top!"

Didn't spend a dime, except the gas up and back, to my dealer (E.M. Shorts) in Wichita. I traded in

4 other guitars, that I just didn't play, and/or "bond" with. Came home, with this beauty, and am

"tickled to death," with both the deal, and the guitar! Awesome! Still in the "honeymoon" stage, obviously,

but love the way it plays, and sounds. Some quick snap-shots, below:

DSC_0012-2.jpg

DSC_0005-3.jpg

DSC_0008-2.jpg

Gloss finished "Gold Tops" are a bit more problematic, to photograph...especialy in

"snap shot" mode...but, you'll get the idea, anyway.

Cheers,

CB

Charlie, What a beauty. Congratulations. I've been looking for some info on this guitar and can't seem to find anything. Is there a page with specs, colors, prices somewhere?

Charlie, What a beauty. Congratulations. I've been looking for some info on this guitar and can't seem to find anything. Is there a page with specs, colors, prices somewhere?

Good Question! There's nothing on the Gibson Website, about them...at least, as of today (Nov. 1, 2011)

I literally found this one, in my dealer's shop. Had not a clue, they even made this updated model, until I saw it.

Then, of course, I HAD to have it! LOL (I'm such an easy mark, for beautiful "Gold Tops!")

It's basically the same guitar, that was dubbed "Classic Custom," in 2008. But, they've expanded

the color options, and changed the headstock binding/inlays, from the mult-ply bound headstock, with

"crown" inlay, to the more traditional multi-ply binding, and "split diamond" inlay. Also, the binding on

body and headstock is non-"aged" on the new version. But, since they don't seem to have any info on it,

I don't know if they're still offering the "aged" version, and various pickup configurations, or not???

There are some demo's on YouTube, and dealer descriptions (via Google), you can check out...mostly of

the older version. But, as mentioned, nothing on Gibson's "product" website...unless they're hiding

it, and I haven't found it, yet? I even tried their "search" feature. So...???

CB

"But, as mentioned, nothing on Gibson's "product" website...unless they're hiding

it, and I haven't found it, yet? I even tried thier "search" feature. So...???

CB"

Hello! I've noticed that there's a delay between Gibson's own and the dealers' announcements. I was informed by my local dealer about the Tributes, the Deluxe, L6-S long before they appeared on Gibson's site. Cheers... Bence

"But, as mentioned, nothing on Gibson's "product" website...unless they're hiding

it, and I haven't found it, yet? I even tried thier "search" feature. So...???

CB"

Hello! I've noticed that there's a delay between Gibson's own and the dealers' announcements. I was informed by my local dealer about the Tributes, the Deluxe, L6-S long before they appeared on Gibson's site. Cheers... Bence

Yeah, odd though, that they have all the other's you've mentioned, on the site, now! But, still

no "Classic Customs?" Strange...

CB

Well, gang...I've done it, this time! [thumbup] Got a new Gibson Les Paul Classic Custom "Gold Top!"

Didn't spend a dime, except the gas up and back, to my dealer (E.M. Shorts) in Wichita. I traded in

4 other guitars, that I just didn't play, and/or "bond" with. Came home, with this beauty, and am

"tickled to death," with both the deal, and the guitar! Awesome! Still in the "honeymoon" stage, obviously,

but love the way it plays, and sounds. Some quick snap-shots, below:

DSC_0012-2.jpg

DSC_0005-3.jpg

DSC_0008-2.jpg

Gloss finished "Gold Tops" are a bit more problematic, to photograph...especialy in

"snap shot" mode...but, you'll get the idea, anyway.

Cheers,

CB

That is some clean carpeting. You must not have any pets. [biggrin]

Beautiful Gold Top too. Everytime I see one, I always wonder if I should have went

with Gold instead of Ice Tea. It was a flip of the coin. Congratulations.

That is some clean carpeting. You must not have any pets. [biggrin]

Beautiful Gold Top too. Everytime I see one, I always wonder if I should have went

with Gold instead of Ice Tea. It was a flip of the coin. Congratulations.

Thanks, Billy G...I've always loved "Gold Tops!" When I saw this one,

I HAD to have it! There was "NO Choice," in my mind. LOL

Oh, and you're right...there are no pets, here...at least, in the house. [biggrin]

CB

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for the late response, but i had to comment...

Thats one stunning looking guitar man

I WANT ONE haha

Thanks, GFL...I Love it! Fit & Finish is First Rate, as is playability,

and the tone, from the "Classic 57's, is (to me) pure "Les Paul!" It's

the tone I grew up, hearing. This particular guitar, was one of Those

that when you see it, you Have to pull it down, and play it...and, when

you play it, you Have to Buy It!! [biggrin] Especially, at that (very

decent) price point!

CB

The Baked Maple fretboard looks nice & dark in your photos

compared to the pics on gibson.com

I'm very interested in tracking one of these down

since i'm in the market for a new axe, and this guitar is right up my alley.

Hopefully in a few weeks time i'll be posting pics of my own :)

Hey, I hope you do! (As you can tell, I'm sure enjoying mine!) [biggrin]

CB

What?......No SG's.......??

<smile>

Nope!...Just my MIJ "Epiphone Japan" '61 Standard! Great guitar! [thumbup][biggrin]

Correct beveling, and horn tapers, too. Light weight...also plays, and sounds great!

IF...I ever get another "Gibson" SG...it will have to be a VOS, or '61 reissue,

as the other "Gibson USA" versions, aren't beveled (like the '60's versions were) correctly,

and the horns are not tapered, like they were back then, either. That's a "big deal"

to Me...though, maybe not, to other people. So, if Gibson USA decides to do the bevels

and horn tapering, like the '60's...THEN, I'll get another (non-custom shop) SG.

Archived