Gibson Brands Forums

New guitar

dxdgenert

Welcome, and congrats on the new guitar!

That is an awesome flame on that thing. Looks beautiful!

And it's rare to see those amber knobs looking good on an Epi. But they look perfect for it.

If I had the money, I would be getting one of those. I bet they are really fun to play.

Have a blast with it man!!! [thumbup]

IMHO, Floyd Rose bridges were created to bedevil that day's of mankind ... but I do agree that you got yourself one beauty of an LP there, DX. A great price, to boot!

Don't worry, once you get tired of dicking' around with that trem, thay are fairly easy to BLOCK! Just razzing you, man ... enjoy that new axe!

Jim

Thought that I would include a bit of an update...

I was able to purchase an SKB case with the new TSA latches for $60 used.

The guitar, itself, seems very nice but desperately needs a setup. I'd like to try and tackle it but am unsure where to start. The action is extremely high when compared to my PRS. The Floyd Rose seems like a huge pain the arse so I am reluctant to mess with it out fear that I make it "worse". Any suggestions? I spoke with a couple of shops but they want $50 - 85 for a setup. Does that seem expensive?

Now for the bad. The input jack is absolute rubbish. It is very hard to get a cable into it and damn near impossible to take it out. I've never experienced that on any other guitar and suspect the "clip" inside is just bent so it is very tight. Secondly, the push/pull pot for the neck pickup is shot. It cuts in and out when used and must be pushed and pulled ferociously to get the signal back. I spoke with Gibson and they had me drop the guitar off at an authorized service center but it will be about a week before I hear back from them. Hopefully, they make things right without any cost to me.

The deal gets better... Musician's Friend took off another 10% for my troubles for a total price of $295.99 with free shipping. If I'm not mistaken, that is about $125 BELOW cost! Now I just need to get this fixed and setup so it can start giving my PRS a run for its money!

Thanks for the warm welcome, I'll become more involved as time goes by.

• 3 weeks later...

Setup was done for $40 and thins thing plays beautifully. I am really digging the sounds I can get from the coil-tapping, as well. It has more sustain and "balls" than my PRS. I suspect the weight difference, which is substantial, and body thickness contribute to the increased sustain.

Epiphone is sending out a "care package" to thank me for my patience (it took three weeks for the parts). For less than $300, I think I have done very well. It looks like Musician's Friend has them priced back at $699!!!

Setup was done for $40 and thins thing plays beautifully. I am really digging the sounds I can get from the coil-tapping, as well. It has more sustain and "balls" than my PRS. I suspect the weight difference, which is substantial, and body thickness contribute to the increased sustain.

Epiphone is sending out a "care package" to thank me for my patience (it took three weeks for the parts). For less than $300, I think I have done very well. It looks like Musician's Friend has them priced back at $699!!!

Sounds like your got a great deal there! You're lucky when Fender had my bass for 2 months because of a pickup they decided to send it back... only thing was it wasn't my bass. I got my bass back a month later with an I don't care package from Fender. [thumbdn]

Sounds like your got a great deal there! You're lucky when Fender had my bass for 2 months because of a pickup they decided to send it back... only thing was it wasn't my bass. I got my bass back a month later with an I don't care package from Fender. [thumbdn]

Both Musician's Friend and Gibson have been decent. I understand that I got a steal of a deal but I still expect the product to of a certain quality. Like I said, the guitar looks great and plays well so I am very happy. I have always wanted a Les Paul but could never justify dropping the coin, considering I already own a very nice (ie expensive) PRS. For a "hobbyist" like myself, this Epiphone will do 90% of what the Gibson would do but for 20% of its price.

I'm digging the Alnico Classic pickups but may change them out later for something a little nicer. I think with the right combo, I could really get this sounding great. I can't even imagine how heavy a "real" Les Paul must be. Mine has a bit of "meat" removed for the tremolo but still is a hefty beast!

Archived