Gibson Brands Forums

discuss

Silenced Fred

guitars with the best upper fret access.

No stratocasters because stratocasters suck.

Fender Jazzmaster has been one of my favorites and it also has the availability of me using the capo pretty high up on the neck. I think it will definitely be my next electric purchase. IMO, Fender necks respond better to capo use because they don't have the heel that a guitar like my LP has...

I know SGs have good upper fret access, but I'm not sure how it works with capos.

Just wondering what other people's experience is, especially with capo usage.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

but how do SGs respond to capo usage like above the 7th fret... around the 9th... maybe 11th...

Just fine.....Just tried it out...Gotta use the right capo though.....

There are 24 fret SGs, and 24 fret DCLPs......

Maybe not your style (aestetically) but the best fret access I've had is the bc rich mockingbird.

What's up with the upper capo anyway? I'd like you to elaborate on that subject (why you need that, what you play with it, and so on).

I think this was just the mandatory FUZZY SILENT FRED thread of the day........[blink] :unsure: [sneaky] ....

Maybe not your style (aestetically) but the best fret access I've had is the bc rich mockingbird.

What's up with the upper capo anyway? I'd like you to elaborate on that subject (why you need that, what you play with it, and so on).

I've been working on a lot of songs where I like to use traditional chord shapes way up on the neck instead of barre chords or power chords. It gives a cool ringing sound with lots of crystal lattice upper harmonics especially around the 9th fret. You can do a lot of stuff just experimenting with the capo in different spots. I was kind of just wondering if anyone else really uses capos on electrics and if they had any experience with it

but how do SGs respond to capo usage like above the 7th fret... around the 9th... maybe 11th...

Capo usage is not brand or type dependant, it's set-up and maintenance of the guitar in question dependant. If a capo doesn't work on your guitar it's your guitar, not that guitar in general.

Good luck with it. Every guitar player should have a strat or three. I'm a strat h8tuh, but they are neccesary.

For upper fret access, I'd recommend this thing that keeps me awake at night, itching and burning in my dark places, fitfully tossing and turning thru drool infused dreams of it. Dang, I gotta get me onea these, EJRW:

eric_johnson_rw_strat_tropical.jpg

rct

I've been working on a lot of songs where I like to use traditional chord shapes way up on the neck instead of barre chords or power chords. It gives a cool ringing sound with lots of crystal lattice upper harmonics especially around the 9th fret. You can do a lot of stuff just experimenting with the capo in different spots. I was kind of just wondering if anyone else really uses capos on electrics and if they had any experience with it

I love the upper fret access on my SGs. Best upper fret access ever was my Carvin DC127. But that was a whole other life ago.

The SGs with baseball bat necks, certain capos struggle up past the seventh fret. With a fast sixties neck you shouldn't have any issues.

Just a tip without the EJRW hijack: you may want to dedicate some bucks to a guitar that sounds terrific doing that, and then set it up to do only that. If you intend to do a lot of recording/performing doing that, it would be well worth it and save you a lot of aggravation.

rct

Every guitar player should have a strat or three. I'm a strat h8tuh, but they are neccesary.

I disagree with every ounce of my being that can disagree. The day I sold my Strat was a monumental musical day. I was now free from a guitar I was never going to get a good tone out of. Also, it has to be one of the most uncomfortable guitars to play.

I love the upper fret access on my SGs. Best upper fret access ever was my Carvin DC127. But that was a whole other life ago.

The SGs with baseball bat necks, certain capos struggle up past the seventh fret. With a fast sixties neck you shouldn't have any issues.

Hmmmm.. I'll have to try out a 60s neck then. I just have problems with my LP getting up past 7th.

Just a tip without the EJRW hijack: you may want to dedicate some bucks to a guitar that sounds terrific doing that, and then set it up to do only that. If you intend to do a lot of recording/performing doing that, it would be well worth it and save you a lot of aggravation.

rct

I don't have a problem with tuning, its just finding a neck that's comfortable to play up that high with traditional chord shapes.

Wow! Zero love for Strats! I love mine, but hardly ever play it. There are times when you just gotta have a Strat.

that's the way it should be.

There are times when you have to have a strat, like playing dad blues rock. Or if you want to prove to someone that their amp sounds horrible and you should buy it from them super cheap

I don't have a problem with tuning, its just finding a neck that's comfortable to play up that high with traditional chord shapes.

I understand that, no amount of set-up will help that. There used to be some efforts to even out the fret distances to make exactly that easier, don't know whatever became of it. I do find most Fedners to be easier for me to make chord shapes up high than most Gobsins, so telecaster is the obvious answer, as it is the answer to everything guitar.

Good luck with it.

rct

I understand that, no amount of set-up will help that. There used to be some efforts to even out the fret distances to make exactly that easier, don't know whatever became of it. I do find most Fedners to be easier for me to make chord shapes up high than most Gobsins, so telecaster is the obvious answer, as it is the answer to everything guitar.

Good luck with it.

rct

Telecasters are the best guitars for making real music. This is true.

I will probably end up with a used MiM telecaster early next year, but I think I do need a jazzy. I might get a frankentele thing build using the neck off of my MIJ Strat... then I can finally sell the body/parts.

Anyone need a series 1 tremolo?

Archived