Gibson Brands Forums

Have Gibson lost their way?

Gary Moore Tribute

I'm one of the concerned with new line of "Baked Maple" & "Obeche" Guitars

I own Rosewood models and love all of them.

My concern is with the FINISH I've so far seen the Custom (At a mere £1400!) and a Melody Maker Special (At £550)

It may be just me but I think the QUALITY just isn't the same and I get the impression that these guitars are made in more of a rush

Naturally I want to hear more opinion on this.

Do you think its just the Fretboard? Do you think Rosewood should be restarted? and so on...

Im not quite a fan of the Obeche and Baked Maple boards, the maple I can tolerate, but Ive played a couple of the Obeche guitars and dont really like em.

Anyway, Gibson is switching up the wood only because of the feds and really just arent willing to start using Rosewood again.

The melody makers were released quite a while ago and I dont think they would be rushed too much, they are after all entry level/learner guitars.

Not too sure about the new customs, but hey, if theyre nice, whats so wrong about a low price? [thumbup]

Norman the Mormon hears the doorbell ring.

But inside they're not answering.

Peering through the window, to his surprise,

The door flies open, "Come inside!"

"I am Jason the Freemason, what you're selling i do not need.

Mr. Patrick, orthodox Catholic, is more likely in your league."

And what I mean by that is...they make guitars. If they don't make guitars today that you like, buy used, or another brand. All is well...just play and have fun!!!

Perhaps, the question of "what are you getting for the same price you paid before"? For example, a Gibson Melody Maker up until now had a rosewood fingerboard. Now, they are made of "baked maple" and priced the same. Will this be the trend on many low to middle priced US made Gibsons which had "rosewood fingerboards"? [confused] [confused]

Being a long time Gibson (and Epiphone) owner, I have NO problem,

with "Baked Maple" boards. My latest Les Paul Classic Custom,

Gold Top, has a very nice (and darker) Baked Maple board. In my case,

I'd prefer that if/when they use them, they'd keep them on the darker side.

But, obviously, that's just MY preference...other's may/will differ.

My "Gold Top," is a beautiful guitar, and a real reasonable price point,

given it's overall apppointments, and quality fit and finish! It sounds every

bit as good, as any of my Rosewood equipped guitars. [thumbup]

CB

I'm one of the concerned with new line of "Baked Maple" & "Obeche" Guitars

I own Rosewood models and love all of them.

My concern is with the FINISH I've so far seen the Custom (At a mere £1400!) and a Melody Maker Special (At £550)

It may be just me but I think the QUALITY just isn't the same and I get the impression that these guitars are made in more of a rush

Naturally I want to hear more opinion on this.

Do you think its just the Fretboard? Do you think Rosewood should be restarted? and so on...

When you vote in the next election just remember who took Gibsons wood away & didn't take Martins & other guitar makers wood

When you vote in the next election just remember who took Gibsons wood away & didn't take Martins & other guitar makers wood

That would be the Fish and Wildlife folks appointed by a variety of political parties........None of whom have ever eaten a beaver.....[flapper] [flapper] [flapper] .......

Archived