Gibson Brands Forums

NGD

BigKahune

I was in Elderly today for my monthly visit and I ran across something interesting. Well, interesting to me because I've been a customer there since Stan opened up shop in 1972 in a very small room in the basement of a building in East Lansing. Getting back to it - I saw a very cool Martin D-15M (all hog). It had an ebony fretboard, ebony bridge and ebony pins. So I took a look at it - Stan had ordered 40 specially made limited edition 15M guitars from Martin with identical appointments to celebrate Elderly's 40th anniversary - 10 D-15M, 10 000-15M, 10 00-15M, and 10 0-15M. Other appointments: ebony end pin, bone nut, bone saddle, small pearl dot position inlays, Madagascar rosewood peghead overlay and top binding, and a special inside label signed by Chris Martin and Stan. I played the D and the 000 and walked out with the 000 in hand. A wonderful instrument in every respect. It's great to have an all hog guitar back in the stable.

11Martin000-15Mmd.jpg

11Martin000-15Mlabelmd.jpg

Hey BK .... .but, but its a Martin [scared]

Just kidding, congratulations, its a great looking guitar. Im also a fan of the 15 series Martins, they seem to have some kind of mojo about them that most Martins dont carry. Along with the D-18 its my favourite Martin.

Im sure you will enjoy her, love the all ebony appointments .....mojo.

Congratulations on the new guitar, BK.

They come with very nice specs.

I have the 000c-15e like the one pictured below, and the first thing everybody did with these (when they first came out) was to put in bone saddle, nut and bridge pins to improve the tone. So, to get those standard is a big improvement.

How wide is the nut? That is the biggest problem with the 000c-15e - a bit narrow for fingerpicking (1 11/16).

BluesKing777.

000C15E4_front.jpg

http://forum.gibson.com/public/style_images/master/rte_icons/picture.png

Congratulations on the new guitar, BK.

They come with very nice specs.

I have the 000c-15e like the one pictured below, and the first thing everybody did with these (when they first came out) was to put in bone saddle, nut and bridge pins to improve the tone. So, to get those standard is a big improvement.

How wide is the nut? That is the biggest problem with the 000c-15e - a bit narrow for fingerpicking (1 11/16).

BluesKing777.

<pic snip>

Thanks BK.

Yes, it's 1 11/16 - as you say, getting close to the narrow limit for fingerpicking, but not too narrow. . B)

The ebony and bone appointments drew me in, but the tone really sold me. This one seems to have a bit more volume than most.

And thanks to everyone for your kind words.

I think these are potentially great guitars. I have played many of them in my search.

I decided I needed to go hog top when I was taking this class, and a guy brought a 40's (or so) 00-17 and it had that sound. Confirmed because of another old hog top M I played.

My search FINALLY ended with a Larrivee OM-03. Great all hog axe, LOTS of volume and color.

Back to the -15. I tried a LOT of them, they were everywhere at the time. I could not find one I liked, and I could never figure out why. There were a couple D-17's I tried that were better, but not quite there for me. There were some great -16's that I played I really liked, so I didn't think it was the bracing. There were also a lot of satin finished guitars I liked, so I didn't think it was the finish.

Just couldn't figure out WHY I couldn't find a -15 I liked.

It would be good to know what some do or what is different about some that makes them good/great guitars, because the concept is spot on.

I like to learn.

One of the Martins I have played recently that I liked the best was a little mid-1950s 00-17. Just a great fingerpicker.

I really do just like all-mahogany guitars and have two laying around - a 1972 Guild D-25 and mid-1930s May-Bell round soundhole concert size archtop. Notr so much the larger body instruments but I swear the small ones when tuned down a step and played around the nut can have a sweet 12 string chime to them.

I've never played an all hog 12. I'm going to have to keep my eyes open for one to give a play and a listen.

That's a beauty you've got posted above BK. . B)

Unfortunately it is just an old internet photo - the guitar is not for sale anywhere.

A custom one with specs like your new 000-15m would be very nice!

I am giving myself ideas I don't want to have....

BluesKing777.

Archived