Gibson Brands Forums

Shredding with taste

jaxson50

Stu is a great bassist. I own one of those basses, and they are awesome and very versatile. I don't like that "burpy" tone, either, BTW, but I can assure you that it is not a constraint placed on the player by the equipment. Stu must have decided on that himself.

I liken Stu Hamm to Danny Gatton in the sense that he is a player with monster chops, taste, and talent that lurks in the shadows of the "B" circuit...

Regards,

J/W

B)

Country Music, Surely The Best, Count Zero, Sexually Active, I know there were a few more I liked. I know you need to have your hands in great shape to play that stuff though, changing from fingerstyle to slap to tapping so smoothly takes a lot of practice.

Stu is a great bassist. I own one of those basses, and they are awesome and very versatile. I don't like that "burpy" tone, either, BTW, but I can assure you that it is not a constraint placed on the player by the equipment. Stu must have decided on that himself.

I liken Stu Hamm to Danny Gatton in the sense that he is a player with monster chops, taste, and talent that lurks in the shadows of the "B" circuit...

Regards,

J/W

B)

Why Danny Gatton isn't as famous as John Mayer, I'll never know.

(off topic from the very interesting clip in the original post... [thumbup] )

Re Shred (edit - please note, not the lovely Shred of the Gibson forums [biggrin] I never have never liked - (and never entertained either) the word 'shred' as anything more than a slang word, as it doesn't really say much about the music!

I wonder if there is an argument for 'shred' -and fast playing being two very different things? Recently Al De Meola said that the style of shred was 'a bullshit way of playing that doesn't really say a lot' (paraphrased). Yet of course Al himself has a ridiculously fast and efficient technique, so the can of worms as always with music, is who really decides if something is fast and musical (i.e purposeful) or fast and superfluous...

Matt

I got a little nervous here Matt. You scared me! :)

I am a suffering iPhone forum anxiety - I am at work, my phone is on 3 percent, I hate the way my post reads and I can't wait to get home and fix

Matt

Ps

That Shred guy; what a tosser :)

I knew it would begin to catch on!!!!! [thumbup] 1 plus awarded LMAO

Matt

It's a pleasure spreading the word LOL [thumbup]

And It's funny you should mention Shred as nothing more than slang. It used to be a word reserved for those that were good at Snowboarding around here. You can imagine the trouble I had with the transition from Snow Sport Slang to Guitar Slang <_<

I just did a web search, typed in "shredding guitar" and got 12,400,000 sites..but is still a slang. (don't tell Uli Roth that)

As a joke I typed in 'bullshit' and I got 64,700,000 LOL

BTW Does Uli like the definition shredder then?

Matt

Only 67,700,000?

I know!! LOL

Uli just came to mind as one of the early "shredders".

He is awesome and I completely agree in the sentiment of his awesomeness - It's just that word 'shredder' [cursing] - the word makes it sound as if the person's best attribute is their ability to blaze around the fretboard regardless of what notes they are playing...BTW I love virtuoso players! John 5, Paco de Lucia, Randy Rhoads etc, but they are not shredders to me...

I think I am on a losing streak here and going to have to fold...I am being greedy; I should stick to my apples and dinosaurs campaign [woot]

Off to do some important work and teach bar bar black sheap for 6 hours...

see you soon!! LOL

Matt

Archived