Gibson Brands Forums

Help ID'ing a MIJ bolt-on LP

mateo69

Hey everyone, I'm recently purchased a MIJ Epiphone LP with a bolt-on neck and have been trying to confirm some info on it. I 'believe' it was made at the Fujigen factory in Japan, but I have no idea what year? The serial# is 6064076 and says 'Made in Japan' right under it. I'll try to attach some pics for reference. I'm currently in the process of repairs/adjustments, so the truss rod cover and pickguard are both off and one of the knobs is different than the others. Any info is appreciated!

image01.jpg

image02.jpg

image03.jpg

image04.jpg

image05.jpg

image06.jpg

image07.jpg

image08.jpg

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi! I wish I could help you out, but I can't. But I KNOW someone will be along soon who can.

I just wanted to tell you that that is one of the most beautiful flames I have ever seen on any guitar.

I think that is just a GORGEOUS guitar!!!!! [biggrin][thumbup]

I've never seen an Epi LP with that fancy a veneer on an arched top with a bolt-on neck, nor does the bolt look like anything I've seen before. My guess is it started out as a set-neck guitar and had some sort of mishap, so the bolt-on was added by a luthier as a repair.

Fuji-Gen made some of the Elitist models, and the serial number would indicate a 2006 manufacture date (within the time Elitists were being made), so I 'll stick my neck out further and guess that at least the neck is from an Elitist.

My guess is it started out as a set-neck guitar and had some sort of mishap, so the bolt-on was added by a luthier as a repair.

I don't think it was a repair because there is no damage to anything and the finish on the body and neck match perfectly with no signs of any touch-ups.

I dont know what that rubber piece is, or if there is a bolt under it, but that is NOT a bolt-neck guitar. The minimum amount of bolts you will see on a guitar is three...and those are the 1950's Fenders and the reissues. The minimum amount of bolts on an Epiphone is four.

This guitar just doesnt add up to me at all. Its not an Elitist. The neck is certainly not from an Elitist. Elitists had the Tombstone headstock and the Open-book headstock (JDM). AFAIK, no Japanese Les Pauls were ever made with the clipped-ear headstocks. They made Korean LPs with the clipped-ear for Japan, but not in Japan. All Japanese-made Domestic Market LPs, LQ series and Elitists guitars had an open-book head. And as Pete pointed out, those all had 2-screw truss covers.

Also, the Epiphone logo on that guitar is all kinds of wrong.

Welcome to the forum Mateo, and thanks for the great pictures.

As others have mentioned, that is one great looking guitar. I can't offer any specific ID info, but I'm fairly certain that other forum members can.

The "bolt" in the pics appears to be a plug, likely there to cover a bolt, but with a nicer appearance. I think it's unusual to see a single neck fastener, although some set (glued) neck models do have a neck strap button at that location.

It's apparent in the close-up pics that the guitar finish wasn't applied with the neck permanently installed, so I'm also interested to find out more about this model.

Regards,

Bill

Hey everyone, I'm recently purchased a MIJ Epiphone LP with a bolt-on neck and have been trying to confirm some info on it. I 'believe' it was made at the Fujigen factory in Japan, but I have no idea what year? The serial# is 6064076 and says 'Made in Japan' right under it. I'll try to attach some pics for reference. I'm currently in the process of repairs/adjustments, so the truss rod cover and pickguard are both off and one of the knobs is different than the others. Any info is appreciated!

Not sure if this helps to identify anything...but, the pickups say "PSLP®-NI" and "PSLP(F)-NI" on the bottoms. I'm assuming they are 'Powersound' pickups. They sound good at low volume, but feedback and squeal if I turn the volume knobs past 5.

I also found a wiki that shows the same pickups in another LP, but I can't see any other identifying marks. That wiki also lists the date of 1993. Could my guitar be from 1996 because of the serial starting with '6'?

The headstock is not from an Elitist, plus there are no bolt neck elitists afaik, I've never seen that model, what's up... something, maybe not an epi at all...

I'm inclined to believe this is the case. Weird bolt-plug on the back, body & neck finished seperately, "Made in Japan" on a clipped-ear, janky logo, etc.

The pickups say "PSLP®-NI" and "PSLP(F)-NI" on the bottoms. I'm assuming they are 'Powersound' pickups. They sound good at low volume, but feedback and squeal if I turn the volume knobs past 5.

I also found a wiki that shows the same pickups in another LP, but I can't see any other identifying marks. That wiki also lists the date of 1993. Could my guitar be from 1996 because of the serial starting with '6'?

1996 would resolve one of the issues I have with the Epiphone logo, but not the rest of them.

I dont know what that rubber piece is, or if there is a bolt under it, but that is NOT a bolt-neck guitar. The minimum amount of bolts you will see on a guitar is three...and those are the 1950's Fenders and the reissues. The minimum amount of bolts on an Epiphone is four.

I haven't taken that cover off yet, but I can tell you that there are 2 bolts inside the neck pickup cavity that are holding the neck on.

I just popped the rubber plug off the back and there is a 3rd bolt holding the neck on.

I will post pics of the pickup cavity with the neck bolts in a few days when I replace the pickups.

This guitar just doesnt add up to me at all. Its not an Elitist. The neck is certainly not from an Elitist. Elitists had the Tombstone headstock and the Open-book headstock (JDM). AFAIK, no Japanese Les Pauls were ever made with the clipped-ear headstocks. They made Korean LPs with the clipped-ear for Japan, but not in Japan. All Japanese-made Domestic Market LPs, LQ series and Elitists guitars had an open-book head. And as Pete pointed out, those all had 2-screw truss covers.

Also, the Epiphone logo on that guitar is all kinds of wrong.

I thought those we're only the 1970's fenders? :unsure:

Ok, but why is there a "Made in Japan" stamp on a clipped-ear headstock? That neck was not made in Japan.

How do you know the neck wasn't made in Japan?

The craftsmanship on the entire guitar is top-notch and there's no way that someone just grabbed a random neck and slapped it together. The finish on the neck and body is IDENTICAL.

Also, the rubber plug that covers the 3rd neck bolt says "SG-12A KYOWA" on the inside of it. Kyowa is a Japanese chemical company and they do make rubber bushings that look identical as well.

The pickups are Epiphone also.

There's a thread on the MyLesPaul forum where people are talking about a "MIJ Epi Bolt on" but the links to the pics no longer work.

Hi

Welcome, I've run the serial number thru Epi and Gibson with no luck, but they are still checking for me, but I was told thst this is a resent model

because of the design on the front of the headstock, but the tuners look liked klutson tuners. My guy is kind of stumped as he has never seen a bolt cover like that either. But love the flame finish. Good luck with it.

How do you know the neck wasn't made in Japan?

The craftsmanship on the entire guitar is top-notch and there's no way that someone just grabbed a random neck and slapped it together. The finish on the neck and body is IDENTICAL.

Also, the rubber plug that covers the 3rd neck bolt says "SG-12A KYOWA" on the inside of it. Kyowa is a Japanese chemical company and they do make rubber bushings that look identical as well.

The pickups are Epiphone also.

There's a thread on the MyLesPaul forum where people are talking about a "MIJ Epi Bolt on" but the links to the pics no longer work.

Right, but most of those guys suspect it was a fake and no one actually came to any conclusion. A couple of them think that maybe it was a prototype...which, although would explain the inconsistencies to actual production models, still doesnt make much sense.

Besides, how do you know that you didnt buy the exact guitar that was posted in the MLP thread from 2009? There are no pics to prove either way.

As I said earlier, there are no modern-style clipped-ear headstocks on MIJ Les Pauls or any other Epiphone MIJ solid body guitars. Let me put it this way, if that neck is truly an Epiphone, it wasnt made in Japan. If it WAS made in Japan, its not an Epiphone. The neck and headstock look really good, but the logo is too low and it should be a pearl inlay, not gold screenprinting. The angle is correct for early to mid 90's, but not for the 2000's. The Wikizic entry claims to be a 1999-2000. You believe that yours could either be a 1994 or 2004. There isnt a snowball's chance in hell that they produced a model like this from 1994-1999 or 2000-2006 without legit info on it from at least a multitude of owners asking questions, modding, repairing, etc. There is no info in any catalogs, on the internet or anywhere else. I have my Google searches set for English and Japanese results and not once has anything like this ever come up. If they were out there and were production models, I would have found them already.

Also, those pickups are not Epiphone. They are either Ibanez or Cort, which would make them Indonesian. The PSLP is commonly used on Cort LP models.

Either way, the construction of this guitar does not seem to be Epiphone at all. Granted, the body itself looks good. The mahogany body and maple cap with a veneer seem right. But the control cavity plates look a little suspect to me.

Thanks to everyone for their input! Personally, I don't really care when/where the guitar was made, but it's nice to know if/when it comes time to sell it...although I'll probably hang onto this guitar for a while. Like I said before, the craftsmanship is excellent and I've always wanted a LP-style guitar but couldn't justify paying alot for one in the past. I paid $350usd for the guitar and another $140usd for new DiMarzios. Seems like a good deal to me for a solid playing guitar. Plus, it's a bonus that it's also 'unique' in a sense that it can't be easily identified as a common model.

Archived