Gibson Brands Forums

NAD

GIANTRobOT42O

I love Vox amps.

I have an AC15VR, which is a hybrid amp. Apparently they put a 12AX7 in the beginning of the power amp section so it gets smacked by the preamp and distorts then they amplify the sound produced by this using a solid state section.

I was always a bit sceptical of how this worked but when I got the amp as part of a package deal with my Les Paul and tried it out I will admit it sounds quite nice. The clean channel with the volume maxed and master set to taste sounds exactly like the tone in the Stone's Start Me Up.

I think I might try to trade up to an all tube AC15 some time but for now this amp kicks a$$!

I run mine this way:

(mine has lots of switches on the back and on top, it's the custom classic X version)

Output bias set to "warm"

Smoothing set to "modern"

Both channels linked, the normal channel with the bright switch off and both balanced so the normal channel volume serves as a bosst/mid control.

I use the onboard reverb 'cause I like it.

I have the tremolo set to the max and use it with distortion/OD and/or modulation fx for weird sounds with great results.

I use the provided foot switch to switch tremolo and/or reverb on/off when needed.

I just use this:

Guitar -> VOX bulldog distortion ->EH memory toy -> amp.

Great sounds.

Thanks for the input dudes. So far I'm really taking to this amp. I got the cc2 Dub. I really liked the Twin but it was just to much clean. I'm really gonna miss the verb and trem though. The Vox can't compete in that department. Thats cool though. I build a cool trem sometime in the future.

The only bad thing is the grill cloth is coming loose which I hear is a common thing. At some point I'd like to fix that.

The other guitar player, in our band, has an AC-30...He LOVES it!

I don't know his actual settings, but the sound is Great! I use

Fender amps, mostly...include the Twin Reverb, and it makes a nice

contrast, to his Vox tone voicing. I will admit, though, that I'd

love to have an AC-30, as well...not to replace the Fenders', just

to have the added tonal versatility.

Congratulations, on your new amp! [thumbup]

CB

Thanks for the input dudes. So far I'm really taking to this amp. I got the cc2 Dub. I really liked the Twin but it was just to much clean. I'm really gonna miss the verb and trem though. The Vox can't compete in that department. Thats cool though. I build a cool trem sometime in the future.

The only bad thing is the grill cloth is coming loose which I hear is a common thing. At some point I'd like to fix that.

Sweet deal! What speakers? I know the trem in the JMI era ones were really good but I've never played a CC2. My controls are very simple on my handwired.

Channel 1 has : Volume and a bright on/off switch (plus the low and high inputs)

Channel 2 has: Volume, treble, bass and a hot/cool switch (plus low and high inputs)

3rd set of controls: Tone Cut, master volume and a master volume on/off switch. Then you have the on/off and 15w/30w switch in another subsection. Nothing on the backside though. Grats on the AC30!

Sweet! I agree the reverb isn't great and I wish the rate control for the trem had a wider range and I wish it could go deeper. But for a straight up amp sound, it's pretty ****in awesome and it takes pedals really well.

That sucks about the grille cloth. I think you can buy that cloth somewhere online. Somebody here regrille-clothed a vox.

Archived