Gibson Brands Forums

Gillian Welch /Acoustic Guitar Magazine February cover

music4love

I know Gilliangirl is a big fan of Gillian Welch. She is on the current cover along with David Rawlings. You can view and read the article online. It gives some nice info on their vintage Gibson and Epiphone acoustics as well as insight into their recording process, gear they use, and their songwriting process.

Happy reading.

GILLIAN WELCH’S GUITARS AND GEAR

from the online article -

•ACOUSTIC GUITAR: 1956 Gibson J-50. “I’ve played it exclusively since 1998. I’ve recorded with some other guitars also, but it’s all over this record.”

•BANJO: 1925 Vega Whyte Laydie.

•AMPLIFICATION: “Neither of our guitars have ever had pickups. I don’t want to be the person who drills a hole in a guitar and puts a pickup in it.” Onstage, Welch plays guitar into a Shure SM57 microphone. In the studio, she sings into a Neumann M49 and plays guitar into

a Neumann M582.

•STRINGS: D’Addario phosphor-bronze, medium gauge. “I started with lights at age eight and switched to mediums about the time I moved to Nashville, about 20 years ago.”

•PICKS: “I have one tortoiseshell pick, and if I lose it I will sob uncontrollably. I’m just about to retire one, and I’m breaking in a new one. My tortoiseshell picks last me about seven years. I’m pretty easy on them. I get very attached to them. I still have the pick from Revelator. People give them to me because they know that I use them.”

•CAPO: Kyser.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I know Gilliangirl is a big fan of Gillian Welch. She is on the current cover along with David Rawlings. You can view and read the article online. It gives some nice info on their vintage Gibson and Epiphone acoustics as well as insight into their recording process, gear they use, and their songwriting process.

Happy reading.

Sounds like the type of magazine I should sign for [thumbup]

I like that she has no pickup in her guitar, and I've even been toying with the thought of getting rid of the Fishman Matrix in my J-45.

In October, I got a mahogany dread that I had a local repairman build for me from a StewMac kit (turned out GREAT, by the way) and it doesn't have a pickup and I doubt it ever will. It's too beautiful to ever drill a hole in, even if it is just enlarging the endpin hole to install an endpin jack.

I like that she has no pickup in her guitar, and I've even been toying with the thought of getting rid of the Fishman Matrix in my J-45.

In October, I got a mahogany dread that I had a local repairman build for me from a StewMac kit (turned out GREAT, by the way) and it doesn't have a pickup and I doubt it ever will. It's too beautiful to ever drill a hole in, even if it is just enlarging the endpin hole to install an endpin jack.

I'm with you...no pickup for any of my guitars.... heck, I won't even add the strap button at the neck.

GILLIAN WELCH’S GUITARS AND GEAR

from the online article -

•ACOUSTIC GUITAR: 1956 Gibson J-50. “I’ve played it exclusively since 1998. I’ve recorded with some other guitars also, but it’s all over this record.”

•BANJO: 1925 Vega Whyte Laydie.

•AMPLIFICATION: “Neither of our guitars have ever had pickups. I don’t want to be the person who drills a hole in a guitar and puts a pickup in it.” Onstage, Welch plays guitar into a Shure SM57 microphone. In the studio, she sings into a Neumann M49 and plays guitar into

a Neumann M582.

•STRINGS: D’Addario phosphor-bronze, medium gauge. “I started with lights at age eight and switched to mediums about the time I moved to Nashville, about 20 years ago.”

•PICKS: “I have one tortoiseshell pick, and if I lose it I will sob uncontrollably. I’m just about to retire one, and I’m breaking in a new one. My tortoiseshell picks last me about seven years. I’m pretty easy on them. I get very attached to them. I still have the pick from Revelator. People give them to me because they know that I use them.”

•CAPO: Kyser.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Very cool info!!

why would u remove a pick up? you think

it will make a difference to the sound ?

If you play in a group where you are competing for space, plug it in... otherwise pull out the battery and put it in the smoke alarm where it belongs. Just position a mic where it's needed. Maybe I'm a purist but I have never heard a pickup that can compare with the natural tone of a great acoustic. Gillian's J50 is pure as it gets. :)

yeah , i totally understand recording with a mic is much better , and i understand buying a guitar with no pickup or not wanting to add one if its not necessary , but i dont get why a fella would take out a pickup thats already there

i mean its your guitar do what you want with it , i'm just curious is all .bone saddles , brass pins , any god's amount of strings , 50 pound plectrums etc. we're all after the best from our boxes , but surely a pickup sitting dormant isnt making any difference ? is it ?

I don't know. But if you have an under saddle pickup, I would guess having the pickup between the bridge and saddle can change the tone.

"having the pickup between the bridge and saddle can change the tone" ....I've wondered about this myself .... any opinions?

If there is a tight fit between the saddle & pickup, there is very little diff in my experience. Some gits like my AJ with the wide thru saddle might be harder to fit properly, but I'm not a lutherdude. I bought a used HD28v with a fishman installed, just put the battery in the smoke alarm and the acoustics are fine.

Leaving the hardware installed seems to makes no more diff than a pick guard, bridge pins, etc..... imo.

keep playing.

Archived