Gibson Brands Forums

Bought a new amp for teaching and love it :)

Duende

Firstly a very merry Christmas to everyone. Long time no see!

I went out last week to buy a pick up for my manouche guitar, an analogue delay pedal and some books (all Christmas presents)...anyway, when trying the delay out; the shop keeper put me through the Blackstar HT-1. I was so impressed with the the small size and great tones -I bought it! msp_biggrin.gif

It is 1 watt in power - and actually surprisingly loud (used it two nights ago at a Boxing day blues gig; it was mic'd and on number 6 but it was loud and clear!) it just has three knobs, volume eq and gain plus a channel switching push button but it can sound like a lot of different amps.

Here are two demo clips I did...(the first one is a bit of fun and me pretending I am Yngwie Malmsteen LMAO) This one shows off the clarity of the overdrive and also I think is great for a lot of varieties of metal and instrumental guitar. The guitar being played is my Gibson 1991 M3 Deluxe

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jT1gRWeYtiA

This one was done before the gig and recorded a lot louder; This is with the gain on 2 and I am using the neck position of my 03 Gibson SG Platinum

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uip5fyQZnyc

Pretty darn good pickin' there Matt,I wish you the best of the season too.That amp has a killer sound for such a small package,I would think that it probably has enough guts to drive a 2-12 or 4-12 cabinet-that's when she'd really shine.

LOL! Well I do take part in the 12 step programme of 'WA' (wankers anonymous) msp_biggrin.gif (thanks for recommending them, I am far from recovery though)

I have quite a few amps, that all have specific purposes etc, but this little bugger is like having a mini version of my Peavey JSX , so a great all rounder for teaching -It was only £170 too!

Matt

p.s

Jocko (you giant gaylord) Boxing day was yesterday! msp_crying.gifmsp_scared.gifmsp_biggrin.gif

Nice work with the HT-1. Amazing where amp technology has gone.

Tried an HT-20, still got it, but it's going back because of excessive noise. Absolutely love the tone Blackstar is making but same speakers, speaker cables, power outlet, power cable, guitar cable, and guitar as the A-B to my Egnater and Blackstar = NOISE! Even with the gain clear down on the dirty channel or with the volume up on the clean channel to check how much headroom the amp had = NOISE! Egnater is nice and quiet.

Sad, because the tone was outstanding. I really liked it.

But I got an Egnater Renegade instead so I am happy.

Got the Rebel 30 for a throw and go and the Renegade to go to the next level.

Nice work with the HT-1. Amazing where amp technology has gone.

Tried an HT-20, still got it, but it's going back because of excessive noise. Absolutely love the tone Blackstar is making but same speakers, speaker cables, power outlet, power cable, guitar cable, and guitar as the A-B to my Egnater and Blackstar = NOISE! Even with the gain clear down on the dirty channel or with the volume up on the clean channel to check how much headroom the amp had = NOISE! Egnater is nice and quiet.

Sad, because the tone was outstanding. I really liked it.

But I got an Egnater Renegade instead so I am happy.

Got the Rebel 30 for a throw and go and the Renegade to go to the next level.

Sorry to hear that :(

a tale of Blackstar woe for you...

Blackstar and us were definitely unfinished business msp_biggrin.gif We ordered a HT -5 about a year ago from Andertons in Guildford for, 'next day delivery'....three days late - nothing!! scores of phone calls and many more days gone by later and finally they say it must be lost...(in England when this happens, generally the custom service acts like they are doing you a huge favour, not like in the states where (generally) they really work at making things right)

Anyway, after angrily thinking "screw it, I don't even play metal; why did i even think if getting this?" we bought The Fender Blues junior. Two days later the Blackstar in a battered box is delivered and the delivery guy when we tell him "this thing was meant to be missing" says "bollocks to them (the shop), I'd just keep it...sign anything here I don't care, but I have to have any kind of mark to show my boss"

Yes, I was momentarily tempted...but good prevailed and we phoned the shop once the amp were inside the house we phoned the shop who were there consistent below par selves saying they would only collect in the week msp_cursing.gif . More grief and the guy said saturday collection cost the shop more and the policy was only week day collections. Well we work in the week (duh) and also it was their mistake so he got the manager to phone back and off went the Blackstar back to Guildford...

What is a shame is the guy who runs the shop does the videos with Rob Chappers demoing all kinds of gear and they are both really friendly guys!

Matt

OH that was nice, here I was trying to wish you a happy holiday not that you Brits don't already have enough time off. I mean from morning tea breaks to afternoon tea breaks to a tea break during lunch. Then its not like Christmas was good enough for ya you had to have two holidays back to back.... j/k We used to say at Lakenheath what was brown and had 4 wheels and sleeps twp adult brits comfortably; their work van :P

I am an even worse example of holidays and get 22 weeks a year off from teaching :) I am off to January the 8th right now.

Great skills and a great little amp!

Thanks!

I was really just doing some mock 'shredding' (LOL I hate that word) and goofing off! I got my first ever fake (as in accusatory) comment on youtube yesterday evening from someone saying I sped the audio up. Rather than being annoyed, I took it as an inadvertent compliment! msp_thumbup.gif

Matt

Archived