Gibson Brands Forums

What Strings & Gauge do you like on your Hummingbird?

Markus W.

In terms of gage I like both 12's and 13's and regularly switch them on mine. I like the extra growl I get with 13's but I also like the honey drip from the 12's. Right now Im using 12's and will probablyl stick with them for a while.

In terms of strings, Im a big fan of DR Sunbeams on mahogany. But I found them a bit too mellow for the Bird' and also I found the Bird' likes relatively fresh strings, with still a decent abount of zing. So I use EXP PB 12's as they are a bit more brighter than the Sunbeams and retain their zing longer, which is important on the low EA strings, for me at least.

Im still undecided. Im currently still using the factory strings which I understand to be 80/20 lights. My next string change will be p's. Daddarios. After that I am going to try John Pearse. Then I will report back. So keep this thread open for a while. We have quite a few new hummingbird owners. Give us some time and you will have more responses. In the meantime, thanks for posing this question. Hopefully I can get some other ideas about the direction I want to go.

Rats. I mistakenly voted for 80/20. My bad. Actually I've never liked anything but PB on any acoustic guitar I've owned. I've tried DR Sunbeams, Pearse PB and Pearse 80/20 on my H'Bird so far. The Sunbeams were terrible on this instrument though they have been my usual choice on guitars in the past. The 80/20s were too bright for my ear. Pearse PB 12s are the ticket so far.....warm, not too bright. I've thought about a set of the same in 13 but haven't done that yet. Sacrificing playability for a little volume and power doesn't sound that appealing to me right now. I do intend to put on a set of D'Addario 12s perhaps this weekend and give them an honest go......they are cheaper and they are everywhere.

On both my former Birds, the only strings that ever sounded "right" were D'Addario EJ16 12-53 PBs.

Ironically, my L-00 hates them, my AJ virtually spat off the set I tried, my Epi EJ200 sounds tinny with them, my former SJ200 didn't like 'em...must be a Hog thing.

My former '94 "Early" J45 sounded gargantuan with EJ16s. Maybe it really is a Hog thing!

I only swear by my beloveth Elixir 80/20 bronze .012 .

With freshly changed strings, my Bird signs such sweet tonalities [drool][love][drool][love]

[thumbup]

+1. I've tried many different brands (always .012) and, to me, the Elixirs sound the best. Their longevity is only a plus.

• 1 year later...
  • 6 years later...

Hey all,

What strings did my 2019 or 20  Bird modern M, mahogany AV (cutaway) come with?  BTW...

I’ve had this guitar for about 3 months, and I am loving it!

I’ve nicknamed her “Trigger-finger”  because she actually gave me a known medical condition called trigger-finger— Not out of malice, mind you, but simply because I’ve played her so damn much, day in and day out. You can’t make this stuff up.

I just love her tone (balanced bright and warm to my ear), and projection. Not to mention the strikingly beautiful cherry burst finish. But alas, I need new strings, Hence this RFI.

If any of you have a personal favorite string set for this guitar, please feel free to let me know  the “what’s and why’s”  All info and opinions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks, -RK

Currently trying Santa Cruz parabolic low tension strings, I'm still not sold on them though. I had them on my J-185 and they came off pretty quickly. I think Elixir phosphor bronze seem to work best on my Bird.