Gibson Brands Forums

J-45, Hummingbird Pro or...?

thejtl

Hi all,

I'm brand new here, but I thought I'd jump in and say hi, ask my first question.

I find myself in a bind. I'm in the process of upgrading my guitars. A year and a half ago I bought a '08 LP Trad Pro. Love it. Have since sold all other electrics. I've been playing, writing, recording and touring for a couple decades now. My main stage acoustic is/has been a '97 Martin D-15. I have always coveted A Hummingbird or a Dove. I played a Dove when I recorded with my friends Jay Bennett back in the early 00s and loved it, but it was an odd bird (pun intended).

Now I find myself upgrading acoustics. I can't bring myself to part with the D-15 (yet), but I have been doing a little buying in the past week or so. First I bought a '76 Martin D-35 from my local GC. It was great. Rang out beautifully, but the intonation was off and I didn't want to have to futz with a guitar I spent that much $$ on. If I were a collector, maybe, but as a player first I wanted to be able to rely on the guitar without reservation. So I went back to GC (in Iowa, there's really not much choice of guitar buying venue) and played a HD-28, a used HD-28 that had the action lowered to the point of sounding like a cigar box, a Hummingbird Pro and a banged up scratch n dent J-45.

I ended up taking the Hummingbird Pro home, and don't get me wrong, I love it. It sounds better in my house than it did in the store and it sounded pretty great in the store. I guess now I'm having some buyers remorse and wondering if I should try a J-45 that's not banged up, go for a D-28 (can't afford the HD) or consider something else. Or just stick with the HBPro. I'm mostly a writer, not really a soloist, but I'm looking forward to working on my chops over the winter before I head back out on the road for a few shows in the fall. I play rootsy stuff, mainly, but a little bit of everything.

Any thoughts would be welcome.

I understand where you're coming-from. I'd had similar dilemmas. I had a beautiful Gibby Songwriter. Great sound, and superb playablity. Had lots of compliments on it, BUT, the guitar simply was not "me." I couldn't bond with it. Had a great Breedlove (and I'd wanted one for years) that I sold after less than three months. Just couldn't bond with it. I suspect you need to play some more guitars. J45s are certainly a good place to start, and maybe end-up at. I think most of us have been in your situation. If a guitar isn't for you, there's not much you can do to change that. Good luck, and you'll know when you find the right one.

If it were me, I'd set the J-45 as my "base" guitar, and compare everything to that. People here might disagree, but the J-45 is a really good all-around guitar, and excells as an accompanying guitar for the human voice. Generally speaking, most people see the 'Bird as a great ensemble guitar when you have one or two others to go with it.

But I'm prejudiced, for some strange reason.

OK, so I'm home for a while and futzing with the HBPro for the last hour or so. changed strings to DR 12s, noodling while I read Internet. I have to say this is a great guitar. I think part of my trepidation is that it's a GC exclusive (which I didn't know when I bought it) and not the same spec as a true HB. However, that doesn't diminish the quality of the guitar. Great looking, great sounding. However, part of my resolution in liquidating the collection for higher-end stuff was to buy icon guitars. The HBPro has an icon price tag (or close to it) and the icon sound, but it's not a name brand icon guitar.

I surprise myself with this admission. I'm not a label turner kind of guy, but when it comes to $2k+ guitars, maybe I am. However, I'm musician enough to know that a quality guitar is worth more than the nods of the other players in the room.

I did this exact same thing. Went to GC to buy a J-45 and was really impressed by the looks and sound of the HB Pro. I ended up buying the HB Pro, but my original desire for the iconic J-45 as a "lifetime" guitar purchase won out. After about a week, I exchanged it for the J-45. If you are already having second thoughts, I would just have GC order you a new J-45. Even though the HB Pro is a very nice guitar, I wouldn't settle for it if it wasn't what you really wanted.

This decision is certainly your's to make. All the rest of us can do is offer our opinions. To me, you sound like you are not sure yet just what you want. We know where you are at with this. Maybe play a few more guitars before deciding on a J45 or D28 as the direction you want to go. I (we) understand the process you're going-through. Take a bit more time. It will be worth it........Your questions are valid. [thumbup]

Thanks, Missouri. I called the closest GC and they can't/won't get a J-45 shipped in unless I pay for it up front. Don't have the $$ to sink $4+K into guitars. Not sure what to do now. The nearest store that has one is West DesMoines and that's over 2 hours away.

Hmmmmm....

First, Welcome JTL. You might guess you'll get mostly long winded discussions here about Gibsons as opposed to, and in favor of Martins! I think GC is as good a source as most of us here have available, other than the Internet. I've played the GC pseudo H'bird and while I think it's OK (sounded similar to the J45s to me), it was definitely different that a real H'bird. If you are looking to get an iconic guitar, Gibsons are a good place to start looking. There was a thread here 5 or 6 months ago polling what we all thought were the 'iconic' Gibsons. The top 3 were , H'bird the J45 andSuper Jumbo200 -I believe. As you said, you're looking for a player that is an icon, not just a guitar that'll get stares. Consider spending time as well as money. With some patience, you can try GC guitars where you are, and make a road trip to the 2 hour one when they get in a real Hbird. They'll probably still have a J45. In the meantime, if you scour the GC website for Used Gear, you may luck out (as I did) and get what you are looking for slightly used and a bit less costly. The distant GC should agree to ship it to you so you can try it and if you don't like it, allow you to return it -either ship it back or more likely bring it to your town's GC. G'luck.

I'm guessing here but your talk of upgrades and icons doesn't match up with an HB pro, fine guitars though they may be.

I also suspect you really aren't looking for a lifetime guitar. You may upgrade or change models later to suit the times.

You can play guitars at the $2k level, or you can play at the $4k level and upwards to who knows where. One thing about buying a nice 'bird like http://www.wildwoodguitars.com/products/11321044.php?CategoryID=89&n=23 is that you get a lot more back on a sale or trade so, if you want an icon, and if you can afford to make the leap, go for a really nice model that fills you with joy every time you pick it up. From there on out if you decide to trade you can get another guitar in the $4k range without spending any more than you do trading in the $2k range, so I've found.

In my case I bought a $4400 mandolin. It was more than twice what I had ever paid for an instrument. It was fabulous and I loved it dearly, until I didn't. I put it up for sale and got $4800, surprised the heck out of me but it was really nice and the guy really wanted it so I sold it and moved on. I don't think it would have happened with a $2k mandolin.

Enjoy the hunt.

I hear what you're saying, but $4000 is out of my reach and I do want this guitar to be a player. I don't think I'd feel comfortable taking a $4k guitar to a gig or on the road. I generally stick with my guitars for a while. I've had my D-15 since '98.

That said, there's a Jackson Browne available locally for $2799 used. I don't know why it's so cheap (relative). I'm gonna go look at it tomorrow.

I'm guessing here but your talk of upgrades and icons doesn't match up with an HB pro, fine guitars though they may be.

I also suspect you really aren't looking for a lifetime guitar. You may upgrade or change models later to suit the times.

You can play guitars at the $2k level, or you can play at the $4k level and upwards to who knows where. One thing about buying a nice 'bird like http://www.wildwoodguitars.com/products/11321044.php?CategoryID=89&n=23 is that you get a lot more back on a sale or trade so, if you want an icon, and if you can afford to make the leap, go for a really nice model that fills you with joy every time you pick it up. From there on out if you decide to trade you can get another guitar in the $4k range without spending any more than you do trading in the $2k range, so I've found.

In my case I bought a $4400 mandolin. It was more than twice what I had ever paid for an instrument. It was fabulous and I loved it dearly, until I didn't. I put it up for sale and got $4800, surprised the heck out of me but it was really nice and the guy really wanted it so I sold it and moved on. I don't think it would have happened with a $2k mandolin.

Enjoy the hunt.

I am not sure if this will help or not. I was never part of the (J45 is the must have crowd) but I find myself reaching for my J45 over my SJ300 more often than I would like to admit. The SJ300 was much more costly and I feel a wonderful guitar. However the playability and comfort of the J45 is hard to explain. I will say this. When I perform, I play the SJ300, it accompanies me much better, as a singer songwriter. I think we all have a guitar that matches us, playing style and voice. I hope this helps.

Update: Made the 2 hour drive to Des Mounds yesterday. Played the.J-45. Really liked it. Was ready to buy. Then I played the Advanced Jumbo they had on the wall next to it. Bought the AJ. This guitar really sings. Seems to have the openness of a Martin but the focus.of a Gibson. Wow.

Its a 2005(!?!?), which seems strange to me for a brand new guitar but its beautiful.

Update: Made the 2 hour drive to Des Mounds yesterday. Played the.J-45. Really liked it. Was ready to buy. Then I played the Advanced Jumbo they had on the wall next to it. Bought the AJ. This guitar really sings. Seems to have the openness of a Martin but the focus.of a Gibson. Wow.

Its a 2005(!?!?), which seems strange to me for a brand new guitar but its beautiful.

That sounds like a good call to me. I looked at a couple of recent AJ's yesterday at the Orlando show, and I thought they were the best values there. I'm always surprised at how cheaply these go. I guess the target market is more likely to buy a recent standard D-28 for a similar amount of money. You really need to be a Gibson guy to appreciate the AJ, but there are some really nice ones out there.

Archived